• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanty
    John, John, where art thou!
    • Jun 2004

We're such party animals...

July 7th/07

In a new effort to keep rowdy club-goers at bay in Toronto's entertainment district, police have taken an age-old tip from high-school dance chaperones: When Stairway to Heaven ends and it's time to leave the gym, turn on the lights.
    Each weekend, scores of officers, including some on horseback, struggle to manage the crowds of thousands that spill into the district's streets as its massive nightclubs close, and the drunken fights, vandalism and noise have local residents - including some in newly built condos - increasingly upset.
    For the past three weekends, police have hooked up a nine-metre-tall "stadium light" tower, which they use to briefly throw midday-sun-like light onto key corners in the entertainment district as potentially unruly crowds gather after last call. They hope to have a second powerful light tower, also running on a portable generator and using four 1,000-watt bulbs, in use as early as this weekend.
    "Light it up, and it has that scattering effect," said Superintendent Hugh Ferguson of 52 Division, who oversees policing in clubland.
    "Perhaps because the message is, oh jeez, must be time to go home."
    Supt. Ferguson said the problems in the area have actually eased a bit since the introduction of the lights.
    He added, though, that the improvement was likely also due to other new measures, including well-publicized, closed-circuit security cameras and making police officers more visible with reflective safety vests.
    The average weekend used to see 20 to 25 arrests in the entertainment district, he said, but the past few have been averaging around eight to 12 despite an increase in activity as the weather warms up.
    "There has been a difference over the last month or so, but I would hate to say it had to do with just one factor."
    Supt. Ferguson said he would like to see the lights made permanent fixtures in the area, something local city Councillor Adam Vaughan (Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina) says he hopes to have paid for by the club owners themselves.
    Mr. Vaughan, who has been waging a campaign against what he calls the "hooligans" who invade the club district in his ward every weekend, says he thinks the lights are having a dramatic effect.
    "No one likes to see who they are going home with" after a night of drinking and dancing, said Mr. Vaughan, who has proposed demanding that club owners pay for special licences for lineups that spill onto city sidewalks. "... It has really calmed the area down."
    Supt. Ferguson said it was Police Chief Bill Blair who championed the lighting idea and made calls to city officials to allow police to borrow the city-owned equipment, which is meant to be used by city crews for in-the-dark road repairs or other nighttime emergencies.
    "The chief pushed the idea forward for us," Supt. Ferguson said.
    "He certainly made the phone calls for us and made it happen."
    Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....
  • res0nat0r
    Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
    • May 2006

Re: We're such party animals...

sounds like a good idea. gets ppl to go home in bars at closing time when they turn on the lights, you realize who your hitting on and wanna bolt.

Comment

• chanty
      • Jun 2004

Yeah.... I love the line "No one likes to see who they're going home with after a night of drinking and dancing" by our councillor Adam Vaughan.
      Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• toasty
        Sir Toastiness
        • Jun 2004

I think we've all have an evening or two in our past where we wish we had the benefit of bright, all-illuminating light towards the end of the evening...

Comment

• day_for_night
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

in the industry, thats called turning on the 'ugly lights'. makes you see who you've really been dancing with (or groping) for the last 3 hours...

Comment

• chanty
            • Jun 2004

"Ugly Lights" is a good and funny name, but these are nine metre tall stadium 1000watt ugly lights shinning on the street corners! I'll have to check it out and take some pics.

Comment

• rubyraks
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Jun 2004

sounds like yet another idea being copied from NYC's book of hard knock policing. The cops here have been doing that one on 27th street (the former Twilo block) for the last few years. Hasn't necessarily cut down on the dumbasses fighting...they seem to thrive when their drunken blurred eyes could actually see who they're fighting
              "Work like you don't need the money.
              Love like you've never been hurt.
              Dance like nobody's watching.
              Sing like nobody's listening.
              Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• FM
                Wooooooo!
                • Jun 2004

2 words:

sprinkler systems

FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                Facebook!
                A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• anonin
                  Juvenile Delinquent
                  • Oct 2005

I hope theres no cocaine use at these partys.

Comment

• tato2001us
                    Getting warmed up
                    • Jun 2007

The sameis done down here in Miami every once in a while when they are having a major show at club space or at nocturnal, but isnt much help becuse once you turn the corner on 14th ave thats when all the drunks get it on.

Comment

• gjg21
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Jul 2004

...have local residents - including some in newly built condos - increasingly upset.
                      although i'm in favor of dispersing the rowdy assbags, this phenomenon pisses me off to no end as it's been the death of far too many good clubs. NIMBY's have no right to bitch when the "nuisance" precedes them.

Comment

• chanty
                        • Jun 2004

^^ Agree with you 100%. These yuppy condo dwellers moved into the "club district" which has been around for a hell of a long time. What right do they have to start complaining about the noise? If you want a new downtown condo you'd better check out the neighbourhood during the week, weeknights and weekends to see what you're getting yourself into. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Comment

• jarble187
                          vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv
                          • Sep 2004

Bet you could grow some killer pot under those lights
                          Push the envelope, watch it bend.

www.kansascitytechno.com

Wakarusa Dj Winter Classic Mix Submission Feb 2011

Comment

• Miguel
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by tato2001us
                            The sameis done down here in Miami every once in a while when they are having a major show at club space or at nocturnal, but isnt much help becuse once you turn the corner on 14th ave thats when all the drunks get it on.

dont know about you bro , but everytime i get out of space or nocturnal is daylight !!

Comment

• rubyraks
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Miguel
                              dont know about you bro , but everytime i get out of space or nocturnal is daylight !!
                              That's funny I was thinking the same thing...who needs lights then?
                              "Work like you don't need the money.
                              Love like you've never been hurt.
                              Dance like nobody's watching.
                              Sing like nobody's listening.
                              Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

Working...