• May 2006

Re: Bonaroo

get a haircut hippy

Comment

• jay813
      Platinum Poster
      • May 2005

i was wondering why i havent heard much about it here. i heard s&d spun another monster set... i guess we dont have too many people who wanted to drive to tennessee this weekend?

Comment

• rubyraks
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

I wanted to, I just couldn't
        "Work like you don't need the money.
        Love like you've never been hurt.
        Dance like nobody's watching.
        Sing like nobody's listening.
        Live like it's Heaven on Earth."

Comment

• rainman
          Platinum Poster
          • Dec 2005

i live 2 hours away and couldnt get away from work. very disappointed that i had to miss sasha and digweed as well as tool.

Comment

• stencil_cp
            Addiction started
            • Aug 2005

i went up to see S&D. killer set. 1:30 - ~5am: slamming/trippy/technically daring/yikes..
            maybe i'm a bad person but i had to snag a vendor wristband from someone leaving saturday night, tape it on, try unsuccessfully to con my way in, and then hop the gate, sleep on the ground, and forage the fields' blanket of litter for wristbands that hadn't expired as mine had.
            normally i'd pay but it was sold out and i'd missed thurs - 11pm saturday and scalpers wanted $200 bucks still. i debase myself this way when things offend my sensibilities.
            show was totally worth it. S&D were scheduled 1:30 - 3:30 am, got started a tad late, then played til after 5 since no one was coming on after them. most of the acts, i hear, stuck to their allotment and passed on encores.
            oh, and my friend found me a VIP/Artist badge sunday afternoon so i got to wander EVERYwhere, eat free, drink my tired bones content in the artists' lounge, and stop worrying about whether the scotch tape on my wristband would fall off.
            just a 14 hour drive from austin.

Comment

• tiddles
              Encryption, Jr.
              • Jun 2004

haha that's a great story

Comment

• Duff McKagin
                Gold Gabber
                • Sep 2004

heard they killed it. i thought they played until 8am though.
                Fly? Yes. Land? No!

Comment

• godisadj
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Oct 2005

Lets hope some recordings surface.

Comment

• day_for_night
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

did anyone catch tool?

Comment

• stencil_cp
                      Addiction started
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Duff McKagin
                      no. at 7 i was asleep under a tree near the tent they played. at 8 they drove around to make sure the sleepers were alive, knew they had to get moving, and people started toward breakfast. my best estimate they played ~1:40 to ~5:15 am.

missed tool, but i hear they freakin rocked. shocker...

Comment

• weswood
                        Getting Somewhere
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Duff McKagin
                        Weird, you're like the third person I've heard say they played til 7 or 8, but they were definitely done before 5:30. Insane show! They were the only artists I saw play longer than they were scheduled. I can't imagine a crazier show than that one. Sasha and Digweed at fucking Bonnaroo?!

We got there at 5am Thursday and got screwed by being stuck at a campsite like 1/2 mile from the stages so we carried all of our gear down to the camping only area which was worth the hard work in the end. It cut a 20 minute walk one way down to less than 5.

Tool was really good, but a little disappointing as they sounded exactly like they do on their albums. Tom Morello joined them onstage for a bit so that brought an interesting twist to their performance.

Great weekend as always.

Comment

• rainman
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by weswood

Tool was really good, but a little disappointing as they sounded exactly like they do on their albums. Tom Morello joined them onstage for a bit so that brought an interesting twist to their performance.
                          listening to someone play and it sound just like they do on their albums is no easy feat as most bands do not. not sure that i would say that is a disappointment, but i wasnt there so what is the value of my opinion? would have loved to have seen morello play with tool!! but then again i would have loved to have seen s&d. how was police's performance?

Comment

• stencil_cp
                            Addiction started
                            • Aug 2005

Originally posted by weswood
                            Tool was really good, but a little disappointing as they sounded exactly like they do on their albums.
                            had an interesting talk out there about how so many of the acts are expected to play their hit songs and sound like they do on the albums. this is one reason i don't go to nearly as many concerts as i used to. i've got the album and, while i do like a live show, i'm not hearing anything new.

which is why i get sucked into dj sets. they spin for hours and an extremely high percentage of what they play is stuff i've never heard before. i go because i know what kind of music they might play, but once they start it's all new.

the festivals are great because it's impossible to be familiar with every band, and not stumble onto something you wouldn't have heard otherwise...
                            yadda yadda yadda...

Comment

• GreenLantern
                              Gold Gabber
                              • Jul 2006

i was there. sasha and digweed tore it up! i was at bonaroo last year and saw sasha by himself but this year was better with the duo. tool was freakin amazing as well. they had an awesome laser show.

Comment

Working...