• Show
Clear All
  • liquidsky
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

SAD DAY for GATECRASHER SHEFFIELD...

Nightclub collapses in city fire

Emergency crews tackled the nightclub blaze
    A nightclub in South Yorkshire has partly collapsed in a massive fire.
    Emergency crews were called to the Gatecrasher One nightclub - formerly The Republic - in Eyre Street, Sheffield, on Monday evening.

Two people were believed to be inside the building when the blaze took hold but escaped the premises unharmed after calling 999.

The Arundel Street end of the two-storey building later collapsed, narrowly missing firefighters.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said five crews - about 25 firefighters - were at the scene tackling the blaze at its height.

Buildings evacuated

Spokesman Steve Makepeace said: "There is lots of foams, plastics . . . lights, alcohol, you name it - everything that wants to burn is in that building."

A number of roads around the area, including Arundel Street, Matilda Street, Sydney Street, Cumberland Street and Furnival Road, were closed by police.

The former warehouse was nearly 100 years old

Student accommodation and a number of work places were evacuated by officers, who issued a warning to the public to keep windows and doors closed due to the fumes given off by the blaze.

Meanwhile structural engineers were called to the scene to survey the damage to the former warehouse, which was built almost a century ago.

Managing director of Gatecrasher, Simon Raine, said he was thankful nobody had been hurt.

He said: "It is not a great sight, but from our point of view the main thing is that the building was evacuated.

"There is no injury or loss of life and in these situations that is the key factor."

Smoke across city

Crowds gathered to watch as the fire took hold of the building - which was one of Sheffield's biggest nightclubs and the first of the Gatecrasher venues.

One onlooker told BBC Radio Sheffield: "It is a shame - it was one of the best clubs in Sheffield."

Smoke could be seen across the city, picture by Michael Rodgers

Smoke from the blaze could earlier be seen for miles across the city.

Eyewitnesses said plumes of smoke gradually spread across the city centre and turned from a dark grey colour to thick white to yellow cloud.

Sheffield city centre resident Kirsten Law said: "I was on the phone when I first noticed it and thought the whole development was on fire.

"I've had to go around closing all the windows because the smell of the smoke's so strong and have been watching the charred bits fly past the window, and I'm on the other side of town from Gatecrasher.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuqxyZ846l0[/youtube]
  • fletcher
    Platinum Poster
    • Jul 2005

Re: SAD DAY for GATECRASHER SHEFFIELD...

sad day indeed, was a great venue, main room was massive! God knows what they will do next, they could do with downsizing to be honest, perhaps its a blessing in disguise...
    http://fletchymole.wordpress.com/

Comment

• chunky
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • Jan 2006

Insurance job
      Originally posted by res0nat0r
      OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
        Anyone have Styx livesets?
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chunky
        Insurance job
        2nd.
        ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• threehills
          I heart Lollergirl
          • Jun 2005

At least it didn't happen while it was open with people inside.
          It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• godisadj
            Getting Somewhere
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by threehills
            At least it didn't happen while it was open with people inside.
            Great White wasn't playing!

Comment

• Dhar_2
              meat and potatoes
              • Jun 2004

but the sound buffeting between room 1 and 2 was fucking annoying.

Comment

• simonr
                Transitionator
                • Jun 2004

Real shame I liked that place and spent many a weekend there around 1999 - 2002. saw Sasha twice (including a 6-hour, very very dark b2b extravaganza with Kleinenberg). Also Paul Van Dyk's early 6-hour sets (not to everyones tastes) were real highlights at the time, epecially when he played a 1+ hour encore til 7.30 a.m. playing stuff from Seven Ways and his early BT collaberations/re-mixes (Flaming June, Remember etc.).
                sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• DancingQueen
                  AVB FanClub | President
                  • Oct 2005

Wow this is horrible news

My friend Matt started his DJing career there with such a successful residency.....A year ago while he was moving some punk stole all his vinyl from his crasher days right out of his car.....and now this
                  sigpic
                  RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
                  RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• DIDI
                    Aussie Pest
                    • Nov 2004

Just very thankful no one was hurt!!!
                    Originally posted by TheVrk
                    it IS incredible isn't it??
                    STILL pumpin out great set after great set...never cheesed out, never sold out, never lost his touch..
                    Simply does not get any better than Hernan
                    The 'club spirit' is in the soul. It Never Dies

Comment

• fletcher
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by DancingQueen
                      Wow this is horrible news

My friend Matt started his DJing career there with such a successful residency.....A year ago while he was moving some punk stole all his vinyl from his crasher days right out of his car.....and now this
                      Is this Matt Hardwick? Ace DJ if he is!
                      http://fletchymole.wordpress.com/

Comment

• chunky
                        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                        • Jan 2006

The last time i went there Paul Van Dyk was playing. Gatecrasher had a paying guest list to guarantee entry. Only they must of had 3000 names on the list. So everyone had to join the Que. There was some door picker there deciding who got in and who didn't. The door picker took one look at this kid in front of me. Pushed this kid out on to the road and said "Your Out" The kid replied "Why" The door picker said "Because i said so" The kid obviously disappointed asked a second time "But Why" Then a Very large Doorman came over and and punched this kid in the face and said "Because he said so, now fuck off. We didn't get in that night ever, although we'd been to Gatecrasher many times before. and to be honest i was quite glad. I never went to Gatecrasher ever again as a result. And don't get me started on them Crasher kids
                        Originally posted by res0nat0r
                        OK Lets All Stroke Ron Pauls Cock On 3!

Comment

• MJ
                          Here since 2002
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chunky
                          The last time i went there Paul Van Dyk was playing. Gatecrasher had a paying guest list to guarantee entry. Only they must of had 3000 names on the list. So everyone had to join the Que. There was some door picker there deciding who got in and who didn't. The door picker took one look at this kid in front of me. Pushed this kid out on to the road and said "Your Out" The kid replied "Why" The door picker said "Because i said so" The kid obviously disappointed asked a second time "But Why" Then a Very large Doorman came over and and punched this kid in the face and said "Because he said so, now fuck off. We didn't get in that night ever, although we'd been to Gatecrasher many times before. and to be honest i was quite glad. I never went to Gatecrasher ever again as a result. And don't get me started on them Crasher kids
                          I second everything in your post, it was a nightclub way above it's station policed by some of the most arrogant doormen you could ever meet. Then there were the gate crasher kids.. oh my!

I'm not sorry to see it's gone if I'm honest, it WAS probably an insurance job anyway.
                          mjwebhosting you know it makes sense

Silentium est aureum

Comment

• phazon
                            Gold Gabber
                            • Jun 2004

^^^ What they said. Never did it for me at all. Rubbish music for a start, let alone the other crap that Gatecrasher stood for.
                            ----------------------------

Comment

• DancingQueen
                              AVB FanClub | President
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by fletcher
                              Is this Matt Hardwick? Ace DJ if he is!
                              Yup it is, and yes he is
                              sigpic
                              RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
                              RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

Working...