X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nick jason
    Getting warmed up
    • Jun 2004

Production Soundforge

Hi just wondering if someone can help me. I'm looking to start recording all of my vinyl onto my PC and was looking at purcahsing Soundforge to do it.

My question is, Soundforge 9 offers Multichannel functionality over version 8 but i don't know if that's somehting i need or not.

After i've recorded all of my vinyl to the PC, i would like to use soundforge to record mixes etc.

Can anyone help?
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

Re: Soundforge

i never got past sound forge 6. it has always been reliable. not sure about the multi-channel functions of v8/9, but in 6 you can open multiple windows for recording. so instead of having to rip a track and save it, you can rip 5, 10, 20, whatever, and save them at your liesure.

you can also hit record on sound forge, record each individual track all in one file, then go in after you're done and cut out each track, paste it to a new window and save it.

i doubt this helps, but good luck.

Comment

• unkownartist
      Banned
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by nick jason
      Hi just wondering if someone can help me. I'm looking to start recording all of my vinyl onto my PC and was looking at purcahsing Soundforge to do it.

My question is, Soundforge 9 offers Multichannel functionality over version 8 but i don't know if that's somehting i need or not.

After i've recorded all of my vinyl to the PC, i would like to use soundforge to record mixes etc.

Can anyone help?
      for the multi channel thing to work u would need a sound card with multiple ins and then u would need to route each recording channel to the corresponding in channel on your soundcard, tbh if ur only going to be doin one vinyl @ a time then an older version of soundforge would be more than enough to do this and even better you could get a free audio editor from the web that would do the same job for u ( link below ), one other thing if u just plug in a deck to the soundcard u wont get decent enough recording levels so u will have to run a deck through some sort of pre amp

Download Audacity for free. A free multi-track audio editor and recorder. Audacity is a free, easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. Audacity is free software, developed by a group of volunteers and distributed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

soundforge is a lot of money to spend on just ripping vinyl if thats all ur goin to be using it for

Comment

• billyz
        Addiction started
        • Dec 2006

Also get yourself a soundcard like m-audio's 2496(or any other that has rca's), I've seen it for under $100. If you use your standard soundcards(onboard) and go through the peaker jack its only a standard 1/8" jack, but the 2496 card has the RCA's so you keep the stereo separation. A friend has it and loves it. Other than that I use soundforge 6 for doing my mixes and its great. Plenty of plug ins for editing and such. Not sure about 9, as I haven't had the pleasure.
        Billy Z
        soundcloud.com/djbillyz
        mixcloud.com/djbillyz
        twitter.com/djbillyz
        twitter.com/bluePRINTSaturo
        instagram.com/djbillyz
        djbillyz.com

Comment

• nick jason
          Getting warmed up
          • Jun 2004

This is great. Thanks for the advice all. 9 is a hell of alot more expensive than any of the other versions so i think i'll probably go for 8 or something.

Again, thanks very much!

Comment

• diegoff
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

I like Soundforge 7 very much. You won?t need multichannel recording for making digital your recordings. Record you vinil at once in one track, and then split it with soundforge tools.
            A tip: Make sure that the singal getting in the soundcard has a great level, and calibrate the turntable. Record also the last seconds of the vinil, of "silence", so there you can sample the noise of the recording, and with the soundforge?s noise reduction tool you can attenuate it in all the track. That worked for me.
            Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
            Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
            May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

Working...