Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SyntaxTerror
    • Jun 2004

Re: America most charitable country

The thing that triggered my doubt was the fact that Aussies gave the most money as a total to Tsunami appeals than any other nation. It was over double America's total.
    "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• Jenks
      I'm kind of a big deal.
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by SyntaxTerror
      Americans as individuals have little knowledge of the world outside of their county (I think even the Americans here will agree with this one, if you don't believe me just look at the percentage of your population who travel internationally).
      I think you've got it backwards. A person is smart, people are stupid. The percentage of our population who travel internationally is definitely small, but everyone i call a friend, the people i surround myself with, are nearly all globally travelled, which is what pisses me off about most people on here saying Americans are homers, fat and stupid- uhhh, not all of us. Judge the individual, not the population. I would bet the majority of any population of people in most countries are not globally travelled either. Geography plays a roll too. Europeans have the advantage of being able to hop on a train and jet around countries close to them with ease, for Americans, it's quite a trek. (still a pretty poor excuse imo, but it's valid.)

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
        • Jun 2004

I'm sorry but this thread is totally about judging a population, not individuals! Of course you can find exceptions to a population average. That's a stupid argument.

And the last time I looked America was joined to a little something called South America, and had Canada right above it. It takes just 7 hours to fly from New York to London. Sydney to London takes about 22 or so (don't know exactly but it's over 20).

My internet is capped right now so I can't provide the figures to show you America's passport statistics compared to the rest of the world, but I think it's a great way to show the American population has its head buried in the sand when it comes to the global community.
        "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• Jenks
          I'm kind of a big deal.
          • Jun 2004

I'm sorry but this thread is totally about judging a population, not individuals!
          you said, "Americans as individuals"

Comment

• floridaorange
            I'm merely a humble butler
            • Dec 2005

My church gave $1million to the tsunami victims (more than any church in the country) as a side note to this unique argument.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

praise jesus!!!

Comment

• shosh
                Banned
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by floridaorange
                My church gave $1million to the tsunami victims (more than any church in the country) as a side note to this unique argument.
                more than any church besides the mormon church, right?

Comment

• floridaorange
                  I'm merely a humble butler
                  • Dec 2005

^ Well it was collected within 24 hours of the tsunami, so I'm pretty sure it gave the most in that time period, but-uh.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• superdave
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

The thing that triggered my doubt was the fact that Aussies gave the most money as a total to Tsunami appeals than any other nation. It was over double America's total.
                    You obviously didn't read or just don't get the original article posted. It wasn't comparing what the countries gave, but what the citizens gave to charitable causes & organizations. Regardless, the American has given away billions for years.

And the story was written by the Associated Press a reputable news source in the Houston Chronicle one of the largest papers in the country. I find your sources much more questionable.

As for your comment about Americans not travelling. Many Americans are poor and unfortunately can't go globe trotting and just jump on a plane. Also, they can't just drive everywhere since our country is so large and isolated. And many Americans do go to Mexico and Canada, but a passport isn't required to travel to many countries close by.

I'll stop there, but your post is negative and stereotypical crap.
                    Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• shosh
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2004

^ +1

Comment

• MJDub
                        Are you Kidding me??
                        • Jun 2004

(For most of my argument, refer to Jenks.)
                        http://www.myspace.com/mjdubmusic

You can't have manslaughter without laughter.

"Son," he said without preamble, "never trust a man who doesn't drink because he's probably a self-righteous sort, a man who thinks he knows right from wrong all the time. Some of them are good men, but in the name of goodness, they cause most of the suffering in the world. They're the judges, the meddlers. And, son, never trust a man who drinks but refuses to get drunk. They're usually afraid of something deep down inside, either that they're a coward or a fool or mean and violent. You can't trust a man who's afraid of himself. But sometimes, son, you can trust a man who occasionally kneels before a toilet. The chances are that he is learning something about humility and his natural human foolishness, about how to survive himself. It's damned hard for a man to take himself too seriously when he's heaving his guts into a dirty toilet bowl."

Comment

Working...