Re: Pioneering DJ sets sights on Hollywood

looks like he's getting a callback?

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

Re: Pioneering DJ sets sights on Hollywood

Originally posted by DancingQueen
      I am sure you all bash away, but this is actually pretty neat....I will be looking forward to the outcome

Not sure if you guys are aware but Oakenfold is responsible for many movie soundtracks that I am sure you would be impressed with (Sword Fish, James Bond, etc.) Just because he is/was a trance dj, doesn't mean he doesn't have talent....he is one of the reasons the acid house sound of the 80/90's came over to the UK...he has done a lot for the industry....he is also in a band, did you know that?
      Ever the voice of reason when it comes to trance

Originally posted by TomTom
      his early EM were a pure mind trip full of diversity and his radio show (forgot the name) where he played fitting EDM tracks in the background while a story teller told a fairy tale were awesome if you were in the right mood. He has a feeling for moods and atmosphere so this venture - though mixing classic and EDM is not new as Adam said which I must admit - is still rare so I am looking forward to it.
      I remember those fairytale sessions, didn't Nick Warren do one with Alice in Wonderland too, or was it solely Oakenfold?

I realize Oakie has gone the way of trash these days but if you diss him after discovering "better" stuff, I'm curious as to how you got into progressive house. Was it during the melodic era, or the dark era or the more recently electrocrap era? Was it straight from Tiesto / Oakie - trance to Digweed - prog? Did you catch the tail end of Oakie's "credible" career?

Oakie was the gateway to prog for me, his Fluoro was the first mixed compilation I bought and right after, I picked up Digweed's Jackpot and JDJ compilation. This was before I knew the music as prog, I was still looking for a term to describe the music so I could find more. The nearest description was epic or dream house which led me to Blue Amazon and WOW but I digress.

Oakie = Prog = Digweed. When I first heard Oakie and Digweed, they were playing similar styles of music--neither was the better of the other. It's not like, I discovered Digweed and consequently Oakie sounded shit.

I'm not even talking about "what Oakie's done for dance music" but curious as to how you guys decided Oakie sucked and Digweed is better. Because of where they are right now with their music and career?

Oakie did rock.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Working...