Clear All
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

China is serious about product safety

China executes former head of food and drug watchdog

AP

Published: 10 July 2007

China today executed the former head of its food and drug watchdog who had become a symbol of the country's wide-ranging problems on product safety.
    Zheng Xiaoyu's execution was confirmed by state television and the official Xinhua News Agency.
    "The few corrupt officials of the (State Food and Drug Administration) are the shame of the whole system and their scandals have revealed some very serious problems," SFDA spokeswoman Yan Jiangying said at a news conference held to highlight efforts to improve China's track record on food and drug safety.
    "We should seriously reflect and learn lessons from these cases. We should step up our efforts to ensure food and drug safety, which is what we are doing now and what we will do in the future," Yan said about Zheng and a separate case involving Cao Wenzhuang, the administration's former pharmaceutical registration department director.
    Zheng was sentenced to death in May for taking bribes to approve an antibiotic blamed for at least 10 deaths and other substandard medicines. Cao was given a death sentence last month with a two-year reprieve for accepting bribes and dereliction of duty.
    Such suspended death sentences usually are commuted to life in prison if the convict is deemed to have reformed.
    Zheng's death sentence was unusually heavy even for China, believed to carry out more court-ordered executions than all other nations combined, and likely indicates the leadership's determination to confront the country's dire product safety record.
    Yan said the food and drug administration was working to tighten its safety procedures and create a more transparent operating environment. But the administration acknowledged that its supervision of food and drug safety is unsatisfactory and that it has been slow to tackle the problem, but vowed to improve.

• Garrick
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: China is serious about product safety

good... funny how they go after the person that took the bribe and not the party that offered the bribe. good ol' communism.
    Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• Yao
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

killing the symptoms and not the cause. Typical.

Oh, and they're not really that serious on health...read a story on a lake that got polluted and they had to drag 50.000 kilos of dead fish out of the water. Production is more important than the environment and, ultimately, the people's health. And an unhealthy worker doesn't produce al that much, so unless China goes through some major changes this giant might actually at some point kick the legs out under it's own chair.
      Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• KinKyJ
        Platinum Poser
        • Jun 2004

I'm happy we have CE norms overhere in the EU.

Comment

• cosmo
          Gold Gabber
          • Jun 2004

Yea I read about their foods such as beef and other meat products, and even hamburger buns were being made out of cardboard. I bet cardboard tastes deeeeeeeeelicious.

Comment

• KinKyJ
            Platinum Poser
            • Jun 2004

Cardboard doesn't cause strokes, that's an advantage

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by cosmo
              Yea I read about their foods such as beef and other meat products, and even hamburger buns were being made out of cardboard. I bet cardboard tastes deeeeeeeeelicious.
              cosmo, a story came out in the papers after that one stating that the story had been fabricated by a worker for whatever tv station showed the report, and that they did a city wide inspection of Beijing factories and found no such reports of cardboard been put in to the pork buns. He apparently did it to boost ratings.

Not saying this is definitely what happened, just another side to the story.
              "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• KinKyJ
                Platinum Poser
                • Jun 2004

I saw a piece about garbage processing in China. Appearantly a huge bunch of our waste plastics is being shipped there where it's being sorted and melted by kids. Massive polution, contact with toxic fumes and fluids... Ah, what the hell am I whining about? There are already too many Chineze as it is [/sarcasm]

Comment

• FM
                  Wooooooo!
                  • Jun 2004

Let's see if their economy goes into a tailspin after the Olympics
                  FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                  "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                  Facebook!
                  A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

Working...