X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FM
    Wooooooo!
    • Jun 2004

DJing Book: DJ'ing For Dummies - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

In the longstanding "Dummies" series, finally a book like this comes out (or came out) this year.

Book Description
    From novice to nightclub -- without the nightmares. Whether you're a bedroom DJ looking to improve, or an accomplished amateur making the transition to playing live, DJing For Dummies has the accessible information you need. From what to buy (and what not to buy), mastering the beat, and reading a crowd, to all the tricks, techniques, and flourishes of a pro DJ, you'll be turning noise into notoriety in no time.

Discover how to:
    * Buy the essential equipment
    * Set up your kit
    * beatmatch seamlessly
    * scratch with vinyl and CD
    * make a great demo
    * Market yourself as a DJ
    * Explanations in plain English '
    * Get in get out' information
    * Icons and other navigational aids
    * Tear-out cheat sheet
    * Top ten lists
    * A dash of humour and fun

Get Smart!@www.dummies.com
    * Find listings of all our books
    * Choose from many different subject categories
    * Browse out free articles

About the Author
    John Steventon is a successful club DJ and the creator of Recess.co.uk, a leading online resource for aspiring DJs.

-------------
    I was fortunate to get my hands on a .pdf version of this and I've had the chance to read a bit of it over. I cannot recommend this book HIGHLY ENOUGH for people out there, ESPECIALLY if you're looking to start out in this, or are still a beginner. However, all levels should be able to benefit in some fashion from this book. It will give you almost all of the information you'll need, especially if you know virtually NOTHING about DJ'ing. While I posted an old topic/rough guide on how to get started, this book details everything out in full...as any book would in the "Dummies" series.

[edit: link removed by request]

If you don't like reading on the screen, or can't print this out (409 pages), then go look the book up on Amazon et Al and pick up a copy. And hit up the Recess site as it ties into this book.
    Last edited by FM; October 20, 2007, 06:07:15 PM.
    FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
    "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
    Facebook!
    A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.
  • jeffrey collins
    Not cool enough
    • Jun 2004

Re: Book: DJ'ing For Dummies - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Doesit tell you in your marketing, to become fast friends with all the bigger dj's in the town? So that they will learn of your abilities and want you to come and spin with them. As that is a major way of getting gigs around here. Sure it's pretty much the same way in other cities too.

Looking forward to reading it. Thanks for putting it out.
    Jeffrey Collins: Painter
    My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
    My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• FM
      Wooooooo!
      • Jun 2004

^^sure...it's one method to market. Networking in anything is key. Making demos, using the web, stuff many of us may have heard, but either don't utilize well, or at all...
      FM

"I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Facebook!

Comment

• jeffrey collins
        Not cool enough
        • Jun 2004

i was reading that part...very nice. Pretty good book, but nothing i would spend $$ on, as there are already about 5-10 more books that have already been out for years on the same subject with mostly the same information given.
        My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Miroslav
          WHOA I can change this!1!
          • Apr 2006

^^ yep...was wondering when the Dummies folks would get on this. Some good stuff in these books, particularly when it comes to certain details about equipment options, maintenance, etc. But I suspect that books like these will tend to be used by people who don't know much about the music and may lack the passion...but think that DJing might be "cool". People who are serious about it won't need a book to learn how to do the basics and beatmatch And the books they will end up needing will be more like advanced manuals on software..
          mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• maccaronda
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jul 2007

"How to DJ properly" is highly recommended. Got everything you would need in there. ALso check out the DVD "Intellect"
            only understand that which is shown

Comment

• maccaronda
              Getting Somewhere
              • Jul 2007

Intellect (House, Progressive) also has around 40 interviews including Paul van dyk, sander kleinenberg etc as well.. worth checking out
              only understand that which is shown

Comment

• 2tan
                Getting warmed up
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by maccaronda
                "How to DJ properly" is highly recommended. Got everything you would need in there. ALso check out the DVD "Intellect"
                Yeah! How to Dj properly is my favorite!...
                Simple and effective!
                --> www.myspace.com/dj2tan <--

Comment

• Ryan0751
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Jun 2007

Yup. It's call "how to dj right" here in the US.

If you are interested in a history of dance music and dj'ing, check out "Last night a DJ saved my life" (I think it's the same authors?). Very good read.

Originally posted by 2tan
                  Yeah! How to Dj properly is my favorite!...
                  Simple and effective!

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                    Not cool enough
                    • Jun 2004

if i remember correctly there is both books "right" and "properly"
                    My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Jokubas
                      Getting warmed up
                      • Mar 2006

"How to DJ properly" is good one, bought it in London few months ago and I am still reading some parts of that book again and again.. There are some amazing thoughts also it's very intresting to read.

Comment

• FM
                        Wooooooo!
                        • Jun 2004

My favorite is when people think you're getting too technical in all of this and the like...hey if you really want to be that good, i'd study all the aspects and components of how things work, then apply it back in with your personal touch to it.
                        FM

Facebook!

Comment

• Recess
                          Fresh Peossy
                          • Oct 2007

Hey folks,

The link to this forum and post was sent to me by someone alarmed by the free distribution of my book - and though I'm not exactly pleased that you're giving away something that took me a long time to write for free - I thought I'd at least pop on and say thankyou for saying such kind words about it.

I'm happy you found it so interesting, and to the folks who were asking about what kind of work prospects it covers, it's pretty much what you stated, that networking it THE way you'll get work. Sure, luck and talent play just a big a part, but if you know the right people, you don't need luck (and some would say you don't need the talent either, judging by some of the bad DJs out there).

It's great that you're comparing it to how to DJ properly (or right) too - those guys got in touch with me when they were researching the book, and a lot of the content about mixing seems to have been largely based around the original content hosted at my recess.co.uk site. Of course, that made it a bit harder when i decided to write MY book of course, to try to make things that are common sound original, but hopefully the B'loom l'Boom and Driving Rhythm sections are indicators enough that there's more to beat matching and mixing than just using a beat counter or using software to work out the key of a tune and matching it that way.

Anyway, thanks again for supporting the book. Though I'd like to request that you remove the link to the pdf, as it does breach whatever laws cover the original copyright theft when the book was scanned and possoble distribution laws too, I'll leave it to you as to whether you wish to help me by not giving it away for free.

(In case you care, I get about 70 cents (50p) for each book sold, and though you could look at it that if five people download it, I only lose about $3, the redistribution of that pdf across other web forums is actually costing me $100's, if not eventually $1000's.)

recess.co.uk has been around for years, giving away this info for free, and to a large extent, it still does. But as it seems the internet is now either a place to make money, or get something for free (look at all the illegal mp3 download places, so new DJs don't care about buying music) I guess I just have to rely on the people who would rather read something physical, rather than off a screen.

Oh, and sorry about page 283 (I think). There's a diagram for the set up of a turntable for scratching - and the art guys cocked it up something rotten! The 2nd edition will have that fixed. I guess that'll be a reason to buy it.

Cheers.

John

Comment

• Recess
                            Fresh Peossy
                            • Oct 2007

Sorry - this was a duplicate post as I didn't realise you moderated before first submission.

My bad...

John
                            Last edited by Recess; October 20, 2007, 04:07:27 PM.

Comment

• FM
                              Wooooooo!
                              • Jun 2004

Done since you asked nicely. Cheers to that.

I'll just state that it's out there quite a bit right now as is in the pdf version (or however many scans were done) and leave it at that...but I got my copy from a contact who bought the book. Good way to take it by looking at the sales you get period. Too much ambiguity out there to even try to calculate "potential losses" or however you want to call it. That's all I'll say there.

I will get a physical one eventually; just have way too many books right now on my list to still read through . I still wish more people who DJ would get this; I still find too many who don't enough...and then refuse to listen. Then they wonder when the gigs run out

Thanks for coming on and posting...
                              FM

Facebook!

Comment

Working...