X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KinKyJ
    Platinum Poser
    • Jun 2004

Printers as unhealthy as smoking

The office printer causes frustration when it isn?t working but it may be posing as much danger to staff as smoking a cigarette when it is, scientists in Australia said.

An investigation into 62 laser printers revealed that 17 of them -- almost 30 per cent -- released high amounts of minute toner particles into the air.

Professor Lidia Morawska from the Queensland University of Technology, who led the research, said: ?Ultra-fine particles are of most concern because they can penetrate deep into the lungs where they can pose a significant health threat.

"These printer particles are tiny, like cigarette smoke particles, and when deep inside the lung they do the same amount of damage.

"The health effects from inhaling ultra-fine particles depend on particle composition, but the results can range from respiratory irritation to more severe illnesses such as cardiovascular problems or cancer,? she said.

The study, conducted in a large open-plan office in central Brisbane, showed that particles increased five-fold during working hours.
    Full article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...rinters131.xml

This one goes into my portfolio for the next client who thinks occupational hazards only belong to an industrial environment. Still surprising though...
  • peloquin
    Till I Come!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Printers as unhealthy as smoking

sent this one around to coworkers this morning. a few have laser printers in their cubicles/offices.

Comment

• KinKyJ
      Platinum Poser
      • Jun 2004

Re: Printers as unhealthy as smoking

You're a bitch, I like you

Comment

Working...