X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: MacBook v MacBook Pro

The reason i've not made the mac switch until now is because the design software i use for work, 2020design, is only for Windows. So, if i'm reading this parallel vs bootcamp comparison correctly, i'm going to need bootcamp to get the full use out of my design program? yes?

Comment

• tiddles
      Encryption, Jr.
      • Jun 2004

I would get Applecare. I would've been covered for a new logicboard and some kind of monitor inverter cable on my old iBook if I had it. I bought it for my new macbook just in case.

Comment

• miketpoto
        Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Jenks
        The reason i've not made the mac switch until now is because the design software i use for work, 2020design, is only for Windows. So, if i'm reading this parallel vs bootcamp comparison correctly, i'm going to need bootcamp to get the full use out of my design program? yes?
        Probably, but here's the thing, boot camp is free. So you already have it!

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

depends upon what that program requires in terms of resources. When you're running Parallels, you're essentially running two OSs simultaneously, and they are eating up that RAM. Parallels also lacks the ability to do certain things that require hardware acceleration, or some shit like that. The big plus to Parallels, at least as I see it, is that you can switch back and forth between OS X and Windows on the fly, copy and paste between them, etc. Boot Camp requires that you restart your system to access Windows, and then restart again to go back to the mac environment.

When are you looking to buy?

Comment

• jeffrey collins
            Not cool enough
            • Jun 2004

Yep. They have had software you could use windows on their computers for years now. It just wasn't as sturdy as it is now. Now we need Microcroft to come out with a way to use mac software on a windows machine.
            Jeffrey Collins: Painter
            My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
            My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• toasty
              Sir Toastiness
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
              Now we need Microcroft to come out with a way to use mac software on a windows machine.
              Microsoft hasn't done it, but some hackers have. My brother-in-law has OS X running on an old Dell Latitude laptop. I don't know how you go about it, but it can be done.

Comment

• Jenks
                I'm kind of a big deal.
                • Jun 2004

thx for the info- i don't need to run two OS's simultaneously. The only time i can see myself running windows is for my design work, and i don't need to switch back and forth for that. Do the design work, print, file, reboot, run OSx.

Originally posted by toasty

When are you looking to buy?
                Pulled the trigger on the Pro today.

I have barely been able to do any design work on my laptop for almost a month due to it being a major piece of shit. Every time i try to render anything, it shuts down, not to mention the numerous other problems it has. I've been fighting it for awhile now with work, I really couldn't wait any longer for work reasons and for sanity reasons. I almost bought the Sony Kamal has a few weeks ago just to be done with it, but i knew in the back of my mind i wasn't going to be completely happy with it in the end. Very pleased to be making the switch from ASSFUCKPC to MBP.
                Last edited by Jenks; September 6, 2007, 11:06:31 PM.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                  i use to be important
                  • Jun 2004

Nice Jenks! You will love it. I bath my machine. and have sex with it.

The rad thing when Leopard comes out it will also improve your system performance. It will be 32 to 64 switch. I stayed up for 7 hours the first I got the sucker running. Turning on my backlit keyboard, turning it off. It is amazing what a solid platform can do. You might a few downloads/updates to acquire. If you have any issue(s), question, tag me a PM.

congrats on the new wife. What did you spec out on?
                  dead, yet alive.

Comment

• toasty
                    Sir Toastiness
                    • Jun 2004

Pulled the trigger on the Pro today.
                    Congrats, dude -- will be right behind you in a few weeks (still waiting for Leopard).

Comment

• Jenks
                      I'm kind of a big deal.
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by asdf_admin
                      What did you spec out on?
                      i didn't go balls out. got the 15.4 widescreen. 2.2 core 2 duo thing. 2 gigs ram. and everything else, nvidia 8600daskdfa;we whatever. plan on going to the max on ram, but through that other site, not through mac. thx for the tip btw.

boot camp with vista ftw.

i wanted to wait for leopard, but just couldn't. figure it won't be that expensive of an upgrade should i want it in the future.

macmall dot com gives away a free hp all in one printer and a free shoulder bag with purchase too. i'll either use them or ebay em.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                        i use to be important
                        • Jun 2004

nice. def recommend 4 gigs. turned all my speeds around. 2.2 is a nice machine. The learning curve for mac is very short and quick lived. You will see how things just fucking work. It is truly amazing. I personally love everything about my new laptop. Just a fucking work horse. It is rad working in pitch black. You have the keyboard lit, you walk away and you see the little apple glowing in the back. Sure these aren't reasons to buy a laptop ... never mind they are.

Can not wait for your review. Did you know that the apple laptop series is the hottest ticketed item from apple? It is crazy. Def there strong spot.

In regards to Leopard ... you are looking at 129.99 for premium, 129.99 for ultimate, you are looking at 129.99 for home. That is a Steve Job's joke.
                        dead, yet alive.

Comment

• ddr
                          DUDERZ get a life!!!
                          • Jun 2004

damn right, love my MBlack, glad you made the trek over jenksy. and yea i am def looking forward to leopard, specially the multiple desktop windows, just like linux, LOVE IT
                          "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• beanzncheez
                            Banned
                            • Jun 2004

You'll be wanting the 4GB of ram. Don't sell yourself short. And for this laptop, don't let the cooling ports get clogged with dust and lint like so many people do and then blame the laptop for being shitty when it was themselves all along.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                              i use to be important
                              • Jun 2004

^^^ very true. Don't use this thing on your lap when doing hardcore processing. Your eggs will bake, cook, and fry. The thing gets extremely hot.
                              dead, yet alive.

Comment

• beanzncheez
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2004

I still can't bring myself to like laptops. Can't type as fast on the keyboard and I like big screens.

Comment

Working...