X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • futura
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Re: MacBook v MacBook Pro

I went with a 17" MBP last November and would never look back. That said, I knew as Jenks has alluded that I would regret not going high-end and wishing I had it. But that's me, I run Parallels and do some PC related video editing and FCP video editing. The MBP works great with it.

All that said, I just had a friend who bought the lowest end white MB on my recommendation (well, I recommended she get a MB - but not the lowest end one). She loves it, and in helping her get it setup I fell in love too.

If you honestly need a general purpose machine and aren't going to be needing extra video oomph or the firewire - then just go with the MB. BUT, I would highly recommend going with the middle-range one - the one with the Superdrive. And definitely up the RAM to 2 GB at minimum (I think that's the MB max - the MBP's can do more...)

You'll be set for a while with that for general purpose computing.

In regards to people's comments about Firewire - you may not have ever used it to date, but once you've got that laptop and you're filling up that hard drive (umm, am I the only one maintaining multi-gigabyte mix archives? - let's just say iTunes is saying I have 83.2 days or 159.86 GB (7,176 songs [mixes and CDs) of tunes right now...) - having the ability to expand using an external firewire drive is almost priceless. After I got the MBP and was sold on Apple - I recently went all-out on my desktop and got the 24" iMac. Because I retired my PC that had 5 various hard drives in it - I bought external firewire enclosures and have a nice set of storage that isn't tied to a computer anymore. So, the firewire does come in handy with that - especially the FW800. FW400 is essentially as fast as USB2.0 (480Mbps) - although people debate the true throughput - you can still run data off USB2/FW400 fine as long as you're not doing video editing.

I would strongly recommend you go the mid-range MB based on what you said your use-case was. If you do ever imagine yourself expanding what you're going to do with your machine - you should consider the MBP, but it sounds like the MB would work well for you. The size of my friends MB at 13" felt perfect. The 17" is awesome, but definitely bulky. The MB seemed like a PDA! I want one just because of how beautiful it was - my wife thinks I'm so crazy.

And, another thing to keep in mind - Leopard's set to release in October. Nobody truly knows the final specs - I've heard things like - it runs great on current hardware, and that it hardly takes more oomph. But of course, who knows in the quest to one-up Microsoft and Vista's UI - maybe we'll find it needs a bit more bite?

Definitely wait for the Tuesday, August 7th Apple announcement - maybe new MB's or MBP's will be released with even better specs?

You'll be happy to make the switch either way. And don't be afraid of the Mac. Once you're using it, you'll never look back and wonder why you ever had hesitations.

Good luck.
    may the groove be with you

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by futura
      You'll be happy to make the switch either way. And don't be afraid of the Mac. Once you're using it, you'll never look back and wonder why you ever had hesitations.
      Oh, I can't wait to make the switch. I was a Mac guy my entire life, but no one in the legal world uses Macs -- and that includes using a lot of Windows-based proprietary software -- so I had to switch when I got out of law school. Now that I can run Windows on Mac hardware when I absolutely have to, it's a no-brainer. No afraid of the Mac in the least. I've been looking for an excuse to switch back since the first time I saw the Blue Screen of Death.

The choice is between a maxed out MB and a mildly upgraded (bigger HD) 2.2 MBP. There's just no way to justify the 17" -- this is actually computer number 4 for our household of 2, and at some point I have to be realistic about what I'm actually going to be using this for -- plus it's bigger than I would like for travel.

The other thing I'm trying to keep in mind is that the next time I upgrade my office computer, it will almost certainly be a Mac, so if I'm going to blow my wad on a powerful machine, that would be the place to do it.

I think I need to just head to an Apple store and play with them and see where I come down. Photoshop is the most processing-intense application I run, so if a MB with 2 G of RAM handles that well, that might carry the day. On the other hand, there is the cool factor and the expandability of the MBP. I'm torn, but I'll figure it out soon enough...

Comment

• ddr
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by futura
        The size of my friends MB at 13" felt perfect. The 17" is awesome, but definitely bulky. The MB seemed like a PDA! I want one just because of how beautiful it was - my wife thinks I'm so crazy.
        that is another reason why i decided to go with a MB 13''

in 2001, i got a compaq laptop for my grad gift from high school, i made the bad decision to go with pure power and size and that damn thing weighed like 15 pounds and was at least 2.5 inchest thick. plus now that my mom has apparently hijacked it, i had to get a new computer

this time i wanted the smallest i could get.. i looked at PC's, HP had a good one bu it was AMD. sony has some nice ones but they are 2100$ or more. nearly everyone i know from school has a mac of some kind and i kind of fell in love with them after using them, hehe. not to mention that i just really wanted a change, kind of tired of the whole windows thing =\
        "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• Jenks
          I'm kind of a big deal.
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ddr
          i made the bad decision to go with pure power and size and that damn thing weighed like 15 pounds and was at least 2.5 inchest thick.
          hit the gym chief.

Comment

• futura
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jun 2004

definitely head to the Apple store and try them out. Now that they've blocked the tweenies from myspacing all day long, you can actually play with them a bit.

The smaller MBP is a nice machine, the 15" screen is great. I do like having 17" at my disposal, but really could do fine with a 15".

As for running pshop - I'm running CS3 on my MBP and it runs decent. Every CS3 app takes a while to load, but I've never known Photoshop to not.

On a decked out MB, if you get the RAM, the Core 2 Duo is going to handle it fine.

Go with the MB for portability, and deck yourself out with a beautiful iMac for work when the time comes. Who knows, after Tuesday you may have an entire new release of them to oogle over.

Best of luck on the pick.

Comment

• asdf_admin
              i use to be important
              • Jun 2004

MBP with a 23 is beautiful.
              dead, yet alive.

Comment

• beanzncheez
                Banned
                • Jun 2004

It'd be nice if you could build your own Mac instead of dealing with their ugly enclosures. Bastards.

Comment

• beanzncheez
                  Banned
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ddr
                  this time i wanted the smallest i could get.. i looked at PC's, HP had a good one bu it was AMD.
                  Don't be a hater of AMD. For everything that you'd need, you wouldn't even notice the difference.

And futura, FireWire400 vs. USB throughput has been tested and proven time and time again. I can easily vouch for it. One time I was doing some comparison testing and I remember transferring about 14 - 16 GB of data via USB and it took like 27 minutes while I was able to transfer around 24GB of data via FireWire400 and it took like 13 min. Was awesome. That's why all of my drives are converted to FireWire internally.

Comment

• futura
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by beanzncheez
                    Don't be a hater of AMD. For everything that you'd need, you wouldn't even notice the difference.

And futura, FireWire400 vs. USB throughput has been tested and proven time and time again. I can easily vouch for it. One time I was doing some comparison testing and I remember transferring about 14 - 16 GB of data via USB and it took like 27 minutes while I was able to transfer around 24GB of data via FireWire400 and it took like 13 min. Was awesome. That's why all of my drives are converted to FireWire internally.
                    I didn't mean to construe controversy. I agree that FW is faster - I have all my main external drives connected with FW800. My video editing setup uses FW400.

I only worded it the way I did because SOME people still promote USB2.0 as a near-fast competitor to FW400. I think where comparisons end up being confusing is that USB is bus powered, and Firewire is typically not. Thus, most of your line speed can be dedicated to data transfer. Technically USB2.0 at 480 is "faster" than FW400 - but I've never experienced that way.

I haven't looked into reviews of the two for a long time, so I may have old info too.

Comment

• beanzncheez
                      Banned
                      • Jun 2004

^ ^ I know you weren't trying to bring up controversy. I was merely backing up the data. People already know how USB works in terms of the bus affecting the speeds greatly and if they didn't, then they shouldn't be using a computer.

Comment

• feather
                        Shanghai ooompa loompa
                        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by beanzncheez
                        It'd be nice if you could build your own Mac instead of dealing with their ugly enclosures. Bastards.
                        I <3 Mac enclosures,they're sexy. What's not to like?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• beanzncheez
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2004

I like having choices and I was actually kidding about how "ugly" they are. I just would prefer to take out the guts and use the case that I want 100%. They are quality cases after all. You do know who makes them right?

Comment

• feather
                            Shanghai ooompa loompa
                            • Jul 2004

No? Who makes them? Always assumed they're made by Apple.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• miketpoto
                              Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
                              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by feather
                              No? Who makes them? Always assumed they're made by Apple.
                              They're made by Chinks.

Comment

• ddr
                                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                                • Jun 2004

rofl
                                "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

Working...