Re: Yikes...MN bridge collapses

Providing Aural Satisfaction

Comment

• picklemonkey
      Double hoodie beer monster
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Katkich
      a news this big means sth in slovenia b/c this doesnt happen every day but the media is like "let us show you how stupid ppl are in us of a and they tend to let this things happen all the time"

f*** the media I say

its a sad story and it should never be just a construction warning!!!
      are you serious? our nation is really being called stupid just because a bridge collapsed? that's fn ridiculous. I honestly can't think of one country that I profile like that. I might laugh at stereotypes but I definitely don't walk around geniunely saying that the people of any country are stupid.. for any reason.

Comment

• picklemonkey
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by wookiemofo
        That's confirmed dead.

There are close to 30 unaccounted for... the 'recovery' mission has started this morning, meaning the numbers will rise throughout the day.

There are 30 or so vehicles submerged in the river under the bridge. They say it will take at least 2 years to fix and repair. Pretty crazy, this is a major artery of a freeway that connects the southern suburbs with downtown and the north. 140,000 cars a day now have to find a detour for the next 2 years.

Not to mention the major shipping uses of the Mississippi from the north.
        maybe 4 years back a section of I35 here in KC dropped a few inches at a joint in the road. cars that didn't see it would be driving then suddenly drive over a 6 inch "curb" right in the middle of the road. they shut it down for at least a year to do repairs to the bridge. (this site says it happened due to pidgeon shit corroding an important bolt...?)

now I hear they're about to shut it down for a year or two years because they're about to start building a new 8-lane bridge next to it for oncoming traffic (or maybe a replacement?) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paseo_Bridge

crazy how this is the second I35 bridge that I know of that has at least somewhat fallen.

Comment

• phil
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey
          crazy how this is the second I35 bridge that I know of that has at least somewhat fallen.
          Somewhat fallen may not be the best way to term it. Obliterated is more like it. A big gaping hole to connect our two cities.

Comment

• phil
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Comment

• picklemonkey
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by phil
              Somewhat fallen may not be the best way to term it. Obliterated is more like it. A big gaping hole to connect our two cities.

I realize... i'm talking about the one in KC which only fell a few inches right in the middle.

Comment

• FM
                Wooooooo!
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey
                maybe 4 years back a section of I35 here in KC dropped a few inches at a joint in the road. cars that didn't see it would be driving then suddenly drive over a 6 inch "curb" right in the middle of the road. they shut it down for at least a year to do repairs to the bridge. (this site says it happened due to pidgeon shit corroding an important bolt...?)

now I hear they're about to shut it down for a year or two years because they're about to start building a new 8-lane bridge next to it for oncoming traffic (or maybe a replacement?) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paseo_Bridge

yep...screw fixing roads. Just build another one and let the first one rot until it breaks.
                FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                Facebook!
                A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• asdf_admin
                  i use to be important
                  • Jun 2004

Kinkyj and Katkich ... very uncalled for.

A life is an equivalent to another life. It is so sad how as a society we are regressing and loosing respect for life. Truly sad.
                  dead, yet alive.

Comment

• day_for_night
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by KinKyJ
                    That has gotta be the most retarded and racist post on this forum ever. I hope you were just being sarcastic. If not why don't you salute the swastika flag or go suck Mladic' and Karadzic' small cocks? Jeez...
                    umm do i have to remind you about the post i went off on you about?? talk about the pot calling the kettle black...

Comment

• chuckc
                      DUDERZ get a life!!!
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by FM
                      yep...screw fixing roads. Just build another one and let the first one rot until it breaks.
                      you got that right....for some reason i remember somebody saying that most US bridges wouldnt pass todays codes, many are in need of repair.

Comment

• KinKyJ
                        Platinum Poser
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by day_for_night
                        umm do i have to remind you about the post i went off on you about?? talk about the pot calling the kettle black...
                        Please do

Comment

• darktribal
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

I live about 2 miles away from where this happened and travel over that bridge almost daily (including yesterday afternoon). I still can't figure out how something like this is possible, must of been years of wear and tear and something just had to give. While not as extreme as some of the pictures already out there, I did capture about 15 or so roughly 30 mins after it all went down. Maybe I'll post a few later tonight.
                          For if you do it right you'll find the moment never ends. -phish

Comment

• hobbes2oo
                            Getting Somewhere
                            • Jun 2004

I am good and so is all my family that lives in the cities. As for how this could happen, my guess is....most of the time it's easier to "fix/repair" something, like a bridge than it is to just replace with a new something, like a bridge.

Bridges are not made over night and they can cost a fortune, it's possible that while patching cracks, the engineers and inspectors were hoping that the bridge would last until it was scheduled to be replaced in 2020. With 20-30 people still missing, they might end up in the fatalities tally soon.

Comment

• Kamal
                              Administrator
                              • May 2002

Live video from security footage

www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                              he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                              Originally posted by ace_dl
                              Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                              I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• runningman
                                Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
                                • Jun 2004

funny we can see the video to that the next day but still can't see the video from the pentagon on 9/11... Sheep..

Comment

Working...