X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Late Report: Digweed @ Space 31-July'07

Been back from Ibiza for a couple of days and have finally recovered/caught up on sleep.

The whole point of the hol was an annual pilgrimage to catch Digweed at Carl Cox's Global Birthday night. Having been handed a wristband by one of the gorgeous bikini clad Space Reps on Salinas Beach entry was free before 10.00 (?15 up til 12.00 and then a ?5 discount of the ?40 price after midnight) .. the aim is to get you in early, which was no problem, with Naples Angels of Love warming before Coxy plays a warmup on the Sunset Terrace at 11.00. For anyone that has heard Carl's Global Radio shows you should know the form - its a rare chance to hear him play some house, and the guy is a maestro when he hits that terrace which carries on the unique vibe of the original Terrace of Sasha's GU days (RIP).

Just as Carl was finishing the doors of the inside discoteque opened .. with Diggers starting off low key to an empty room (12.00 til 3.00) - this is what makes it so special, as it allows JD to play the atmospheric tracks he wouldn't usually place, building the set as the place begins to fill and before hitting the red launch button for peaktime. As it's Space, peaktime means dark, pounding bass and proper drumbeats - all crystal clear courtsey of a state of the art Funktion 1 sound system . JD was fantastic as ever, with the place going nuts.

Having played 3 hours inside Diggers then played 4.00 til 7.45 on the New Terrace. It was pretty surreal as Giles Peterson just finishing his eclectic jazzy Brazilian-tinged set - as Diggers put on his first song he ejected Giles's CD and returned it with a grin, cracking a joke to the effect that that he wouldn't be needing it and Giles could keep it !

What amazes me is that, having caught JD just a month earlier, he had so much new quality music - with only a handful of tracks having been played at Pacha where he'd been awesome. It just shows how much music he karts around. The final hour had summery GU Ibiza vibe as Diggers wound things down before finishing with a couple of really old tracks from his Renaissance and Northern Exposure days. Really special.

An honourable side mention goes to Erick Morillo's Subliminal nights at the lovely Pacha which really suprised me. It has to be said that house music goes down well in summer. Behrouz provided an amazing warm up set .. 1st time I've caught him live, he such a good and varied taste in music.

At 7.20 a.m. with Morillo storming the decks ... Behrouz came on to play b2b and put on Lustral's - Everytime (with that vocal "every time I close my eyes, I see your face" - Oackey had a Nalin & Kane version on his GU New York 007 and Sasha & Diggers has a Yunus mix for Delta Heavy). The version Behrouz played had a beautiful lush vocal and sweeping orchestra coming through .. just as the chill was going down my spine the club lights came on and confetti streamed down from the ceiling as the place errupted. Simply amazing.

I'm off for some more sleep now - I'm in retirement until Sasha hits Sankeys !
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • Dzone
    Platinum Poster
    • Jul 2004

Re: Late Report: Digweed @ Space 31-July'07

Nice man ...seems like you had good time lucky bastrad !
    ^^What dosen't Kill you make you stronger ^^

Comment

• lilsensa
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by simonr
      Behrouz came on to play b2b and put on Lustral's - Everytime
      One of my favorites tunes ever.
      RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• res0nat0r
        Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
        • May 2006

lucky...sounds like a great time, thanks for the info..i want to goto ibizia

Comment

• Miguel
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Oct 2005

sounds like you had a good time you bastard !!

i have seen behrouz a couple of times, he brings a nice funky vibe to the place

Comment

• rewing3
            I really don't care
            • Jun 2004

Sounds like just an amazing night all around.
            Common Sense is not Common at all.

Comment

• BureOne
              Are you Kidding me??
              • Jun 2004

Nice report.
              Can't wait to catch diggers in San Fran on the 31st! Last I caught Digweed was here in L.A. at the Vanguard when MSTKRFT opened for him.

It's gonna be.... it's gonna be..... it's gonna be ... a fuckin' lovely night!

Comment

• Lorn
                Looking for a title!
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Dzone
                lucky bastrad !

What he said.

Comment

• berps
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jul 2004

Aint The Place On Its Last Legs??????????????????
                  "IM GETTING CAKED@THEWEEKEND!!!!!!!!! "

Comment

• fer_
                    Platinum Poster
                    • May 2005

nice report simonr!
                    looks like a fantastic night john played almost 7 hours in total

Comment

• diegoff
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

I'd like to go there,,, shit! thanx for the report
                      Itīs a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                      Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                      May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• AndyH
                        Platinum Poster
                        • May 2005

I actually feel physically sick and depressed after reading that report of Space,
                        sounds like an absolute f**king dream..
                        [quote=lilsensa '] 'Who wants to sample size my ball sack?'

Comment

• simonr
                          Transitionator
                          • Jun 2004

Cheers Andy .. hopefully he'll air some (although i'd prefer the Pacha set). The opportunity was too good to miss - as JD hardly ever tours the UK, and its not much dearer to fly to ibiza to see him, rather than travel to London or Brighton. That's 3 times in 2007 I've caught JD .. just getting my revenge for you lucky Londoner's hosting his Bedrock nights !
                          sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

Working...