X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Mitt Romney: Really Pro-Life?

Having gone back and forth on this issue a couple of times already, Mitt has apparently made some statements that would once again make conservatives wonder how committed he is to the pro-life agenda.

Compare:
    August 6, Good Morning America:
    Asked by Stephanopoulos whether he supports the Republican Party's 2004 platform on abortion rights, which states, "We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and we endorse legislation to make it clear that the 14th Amendment's protections apply to unborn children," Romney said, "You know, I do support the Republican platform, and I support that being part of the Republican platform and I'm pro-life."
    with this

August 21 Interview:
    "My view is that the Supreme Court has made an error in saying at the national level one size fits all for the whole nation," Romney told Jon Ralston in a televised interview. "Instead, I would let states make their choices."

Asked by Ralston whether it was "OK" with him that Nevada is a "pro-choice state," Romney said, "I'd let states make their own decision in this regard. My view, of course, is I'm a pro-life individual. That's the position I support. But, I'd let states have this choice rather than let the federal government have it."

You know, you can't outlaw abortion wholesale at the federal level while letting states do their own thing. I don't personally give a rip because Romney and I aren't going to see eye to eye on this regardless of where he ultimately decides he's going to come down on the issue, but I'm sure this will not sit well with the the people on the right that really, really care about such things. Of course, who are they going to vote for? It's not like they'd vote for Guiliani instead.

Oh well. Just thought it was interesting. For a guy that's trying to overcome the perception that he'll go whichever way the wind blows on abortion, you'd think he'd try a little harder to keep his message consistent.
  • nasserd
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Re: Mitt Romney: Really Pro-Life?

Give the poor Mormon a break... as long as he does not believe in Scientology, we should all just give him a break........

Comment

Working...