Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

WTF is going on in the Iraq?!

Boy, 5, doused in gas, set on fire by masked men

By Arwa Damon
    CNN

Editor's note: CNN agreed not to use the full names of the mother and son in this article due to concern for their safety.

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Five-year-old Youssif is scarred for life, his once beautiful smile turned into a grotesquely disfigured face -- the face of a horrifying act by masked men. They grabbed him on a January day outside his central Baghdad home, doused him with gas and set him ablaze.
    It's an act incomprehensibly savage, even by Iraq's standards today. No one has been arrested and the motive remains unknown.
    In a war-ravaged city torn by sectarian violence and marked by acts of vengeance, this attack's apparent randomness stands out as an example of what life has become in a place where brutality -- even against young children -- is a constant.
    "They dumped gasoline, burned me, and ran," Youssif told CNN, pointing down the street with his scarred hands where his attackers fled. See photographs of Youssif before and after the attack ?
    As he sucked his thumb, he repeated, "I was burning." He tried to put the flames out himself.
    It looks as though this boy's face melted and then froze into rivers cutting through swollen hard flesh. It's hard to see the energetic outgoing child his parents describe beneath the sullen demeanor that defines Youssif today.
    "He's become spiteful, I am not sure why," said his mother, Zainab. "He is jealous of everyone. If I say the slightest thing to him, he cries. He's sensitive." Watch the mother describe how she cries at night wracked with guilt ?
    Even things like eating have become a chore. His face contorts when he tries to shovel rice into his mouth, carefully angling the spoon and then using his fingers to push the little grains through lips he can no longer fully open.
    He has also become jealous of the baby sister he used to dote on. "I sit sometimes at night and cry," Zainab said, her voice heavy with guilt. "If only I hadn't let him go outside, if only I hadn't let him play."
    It was on January 15 that masked men attacked her boy, their identities still unknown. Zainab said she was upstairs at the time.
    "I heard screaming. I thought someone was fighting or something," she said.
    She ran downstairs, saw her son and fainted. When she came to, she barely recognized her child. "His head was so swollen, you couldn't see his eyes, and his nose was pushed in."
    "There was blood," she added, shuddering slightly. "The skin was melted off."
    He spent two months in the hospital recovering from the severe burns. These days Youssif spends most of his time indoors, in front of the computer. It's only then that traces of the 5-year-old in him emerge. "He can't play outside with the other kids," Zainab said. "The other day they were playing, and he came in crying. I asked him, 'What's wrong?' and he said, 'They won't play with me because I am burned.'"
    She said he once wanted to be a doctor and he loved kindergarten. "He used to be the one who would wake me up every morning, saying let's go to school," Zainab recalled.
    She coaxed him to tell me the few words he knows in English. "Girl, boy, window, fan," he said, his voice barely audible, the words barely intelligible.
    Doctors told the family there is little more they can do to help Youssif. The family can't afford care outside Iraq.
    So Zainab has taken a massive risk by telling her story to the world. Her husband works as a security guard, and it's too dangerous for him to talk to the media.
    "I'd prefer death than seeing my son like this," Zainab said.
    All she wants is for someone to help her little boy smile again.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • lilsensa
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: WTF is going on in Iraq?!

That is so sad.
    RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Miroslav
      WHOA I can change this!1!
      • Apr 2006

yeah...and that's the kind of vile shit that I've fully come to expect from those people over there.
      mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• AntonyM
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Oct 2004

Cowards will always seek out the week still, there is no justification of that kind of violence, it seems the Iraq situations could be at a crossroads, 2008 is not far off and change is in the wind.
        Originally posted by Shpira
        So came back last night...
        Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
        Originally posted by Illuminate
        Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
        2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
        3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
        4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

^Yeah but I wouldn't be surprised if the Iraq problem is exchanged for an Iran problem ...

I just don't understand what possessed these people to go around randomly setting CHILDREN on fire when the country is already in such a mess!

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
          a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Originally posted by m1sT3rL
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• BureOne
            Are you Kidding me??
            • Jun 2004

thats fucked up.

Comment

• Homskillet
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

Can't even comprehend what would cause someone to do this... two family riffs...? Still then how could you attack an innocent child?

Unbelievable!
              https://soundcloud.com/dahlheim/shadynasty-tres-final

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Miroslav
                yeah...and that's the kind of vile shit that I've fully come to expect from those people over there.
                You've come to expect this of the general populous of Iraq? You're a fucking idiot if you have. Their country is full of normal people like you and me.

A child of about the same age was doused in petrol and set alight outside his school a few years ago in Australia. This kind of thing may sadly happen anywhere in the world and the people of Iraq don't need your shitty judgment on them just because it happened in their country.

You think this hasn't happened before in America, Miroslav?
                "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• man_who_wasnt_there
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Feb 2006

Two teenage boys have been arrested over the murder of an 11-year-old boy who was shot dead on his way home from playing football.
                  Steve James 1978–2008

Comment

• tiddles
                    Encryption, Jr.
                    • Jun 2004

I heard a similarly fucked up story on NPR yesterday - men in india throwing hydrochloric acid on women.

Haseena Hussain was an attractive, upwardly mobile woman in Bangalore, India, before she turned down a marriage proposal from her ex-boss, who then poured hydrochloric acid over her body in revenge. Now she and others are fighting the surge of acid violence against women.

Comment

• Jenks
                      I'm kind of a big deal.
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by SyntaxTerror
                      This kind of thing may sadly happen anywhere in the world and the people of Iraq don't need your shitty judgment on them just because it happened in their country.
                      you're right, it can happen anywhere in the world, but it happens FREQUENTLY in Iraq. Just recently two tribes stoned a young girl to death for being in love with a Sunni boy. Stories like this are abound in Iraq. Just because you read some story about some kid in Australia doesn't mean, "Well shit man, this is happenin all over the fucking world!!!" No it isn't. Random acts of violence happen all over the world, yes, but when it starts happening frequently in one country, it isn't random. It's Iraq.

Btw, you having a bad day chief?? You're calling someone a dumbass or a fucking retard or an fucking idiot in almost every post. What's up?

Comment

• Miroslav
                        WHOA I can change this!1!
                        • Apr 2006

^^ I see Senor Jenks has hit the nail on the head. Thank you!

This particular incident aside, my basic point is that in Iraq and many other places in the Middle East, the current religious/cultural identity systematically propagates violence against some of its citizens. If you don't believe me, try being a woman, a minority (say, homosexual), or a religious dissident over there and see what happens to you. Over here, when people stone or maim others at least there is widespread outrage followed by criminal proceedings by the government. Over there, it may easily be authorities of the government who beat and maim you.
                        mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• KinKyJ
                          Platinum Poser
                          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Miroslav
                          ^^ I see Senor Jenks has hit the nail on the head. Thank you!

This particular incident aside, my basic point is that in Iraq and many other places in the Middle East, the current religious/cultural identity systematically propagates violence against some of its citizens. If you don't believe me, try being a woman, a minority (say, homosexual), or a religious dissident over there and see what happens to you. Over here, when people stone or maim others at least there is widespread outrage followed by criminal proceedings by the government. Over there, it may easily be authorities of the government who beat and maim you.
                          The authorities of the government in Iraq? What government are you talking about and what authorities? Maliki and his bunch aren't even able to scratch their asses and the "authorities" are too busy with getting blown up to amuse themselves with that sorta crap. Now try to be middle class in Iraq: you will get extorted, menaced, abducted for money, ... Have a coffee Miro

Comment

• SyntaxTerror
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Jenks
                            Btw, you having a bad day chief?? You're calling someone a dumbass or a fucking retard or an fucking idiot in almost every post. What's up?
                            No I'm not, but...

... paints a whole nation with the same brush.
                            "If not for Josh Wink, Sasha wouldn't own any Acid except for the paper stuff he dopes chicks with at clubs." - Jenks, 2004

Comment

• chuckc
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

yeah wtf is up your azz syntax....

Comment

Working...