X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KinKyJ
    Platinum Poser
    • Jun 2004

UK General states the obvious

Nothing new, but it's quite uncommon for someone that high ranked to discharge such sharp criticism...

The head of the British army during the Iraq invasion has said US post-war policy was "intellectually bankrupt". In a Daily Telegraph interview, former chief of the general staff, Gen Sir Mike Jackson, added that US strategy had been "short-sighted".
    He said former US defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld was "one of the most responsible for the current situation".
    The Ministry of Defence said Sir Mike was a private citizen who was entitled to express his views.
    The US Department of Defense said: "Divergent viewpoints are a hallmark of open, democratic societies."
    Sir Mike told the Daily Telegraph that Mr Rumsfeld's claim that US forces "don't do nation-building" was "nonsensical".
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Also...

Maj Gen Tim Cross, who was the most senior UK officer involved in post-war planning, told the Sunday Mirror US policy was "fatally flawed".
    Maj Gen Cross said: "We were all very concerned about the lack of detail that had gone into the post-war plan."
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

I have ambiguous feelings when it comes to these declarations. I mean c'mon, now all of a sudden the criticism finds its way out? It's too easy to say "we've been saying this all along"...
  • WaveSculptor
    Getting warmed up
    • Oct 2006

Re: UK General states the obvious

A couple quotes that stood out to me:

DOD: "[Marginalized] Divergent viewpoints are a hallmark of open, democratic societies."

I can't even hear a tone of voice and I'm detecting spiteful sarcasm here.

Rummy: US forces don't do nation building...

Of course not, they blow it to pieces so that US contractors can do that with no-bid, cost-plus contracts. Fortunately, there are no conflicts of interest for company executives and high ranking political officials, even if they turn out to be the same person.
    The Cosmos works by harmony of tensions...

Comment

Working...