X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonr
    Transitionator
    • Jun 2004

Report: Sasha - Sankeys (Manchester) Friday

Decided to make a pilgrimage to see Sasha at on of his favourite clubs - the newly refurbished Sankeys. I'm pleased to report that he's in fine form, and his set was in a similar vein to the Amnesia set. Although it was difficult to tell at times - as Sankey's has simply the wimpiest sound system I've ever heard .. in fact my first ever very budget (Fidelity) bedroom hi-fi had more punch. The refurb is a disaster - basically they've doubled the size of the room, reduced access points and installed a bar that you can only realistically get to from one side .. its basically a cramped hell-hole, with people constantly pushing past you and stamping on your feet. Worse still, the club has made the unforgivable sin of having an audio set up where the peoples talking drowns out the music ! This place was clearly designed by an Architect on a budget who has never been for a decent night out in his life, and has no understanding of what makes a good room. When I think of the improvements they've consistently made to Space and their awesome Funktion 1 sound system it makes me wonder why I bother to go to clubs in the UK. Anyway, onto the business end of things. Mr Coe played 1.00 til 5.00 ... at last I think he came on at 1.00, the DJ booth is badly lit and overpowered by red neon nights - for all I know Sasha could still have been in his hotel bath playing with his 2 little yellow ducks Gnasher & Twiggers for all I know. There was no breakdown from the warm up, sound was shite and Sasha didn't seem to start with the usual killer opener ... it was down tempo, but sounded good. The system didn't do that COMA track the full justice it should ... but from what I could tell Sasha was sounding pretty good. Luckily things settled down for the last two hours and I got near the front where I could hear the music without it being drowned out. Hour 4 was a blinder - with Unsafe and the awesome Spara Mig by Ozgur Can, plus something dark and lush by Nathan Fake. Sasha's encore had track of the night - goodness knows what it was .. it sounded old and re-worked, was lush, had breakdowns and even (shock) some vocals. I just wish he'd put these songs into his set and finish with a true oldie (i.e. Belfunk). Still a pretty decent night in the end.
    sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.
  • Hybrex
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Re: Report: Sasha - Sankeys (Manchester) Friday

He ended with the same track in Glasgow last nite, somebody must know what track this is.

He started with Underworld - Dark and long and then i recognized many tracks from the essential mix. He also played an old daft punk track.

Hybrex

Comment

Working...