X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • unkownartist
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

m_nus to go "green"

RICHIE HAWTIN & MINUS announce combined Envi ronmental Awareness Initiative:

minimize your IMPACT

In response to the times we live in, and due to the ever-increasing amount of proof regarding the impact of human activity
    on our planet, I am pleased to announce our current environmental initiative. The aim of this strategy is to one day become
    a carbon neutral company. I also hope that our efforts will both encourage and inspire other musicians, DJ?s &
    entertainment related companies/individuals to find their own ways to limit their impact on global climate change.
    The initiative focuses on two areas: air travel and MINUS?s manufacturing practices.

Richie Hawtin | AIR TRAVEL

Air travel, with its high levels of CO
    2 emissions, is one of the most significant contributors to climate change. As an
    international performer I find there are few realistic alternatives to flying thousands of miles per year travelling between
    performances and online or ?virtual? performances are currently no substitute for a ?real? physical public performance.
    My personal belief is that this has a calculable impact on our environment and therefore since January 1
    st of this year, in cooperation
    with Berlin based Atmosfair (
    www.atmosfair.de), we have been offsetting all of my flight carbon emissions. In
    addition, these offsets have been recently extended to cover all air travel made by Minus employees
    Carbon Offsetting
    is the concept of buying carbon credits against one?s CO2 emissions to become carbon neutral. These
    carbon offsets are then used to contribute toward Atmosfair?s various environmentally conscious worldwide projects that
    adhere to the internationally accepted
    Gold Standard certification rules (www.cdmgoldstandard.org).
    I feel that carbon offsetting should be used in conjunction with other courses of action to minimise our global footprint.
    Therefore we are continuing to investigate alternative ways of reducing our combined CO
    2 output through alternative travel
    choices such as the use of public transport, cars, trains, bikes and combined artist bus tours such as the ?Minus Min2MAX
    2006 USA Bus Tour?. We have also introduced other personal and internal office initiatives such as ?green? sustainable
    electricity suppliers.

Minus | MANUFACTURING IMPACT

In realistic terms we are still a music company whose revenue is generated from manufacturing items that are unfortunately
    harmful to the environment. Most of this damage can be attributed to the manufacturing of vinyl records and compact discs.
    While we will continue to support the older paradigm of music lovers and release most major releases on vinyl and/or CD,
    we have meanwhile focused our attention on the packaging of these products. All new 2007 Minus/Plus 8 vinyl & CD
    releases have been packaged in either sustainable
    FSC (www.fscus.org) certified papers and/or a combination of recycled
    papers. In addition we have also introduced a new CD packaging design that contains no plastics.
    We are also taking steps to introduce these types of papers into other areas of the company, and encouraging many of our
    worldwide partners & promoters to also be more conscious of the available alternatives. For example, the recently
    introduced Minus/Beatport promotion download cards created on
    biodegradable corn stock (www.natureworksllc.com).
    We will also continue to strengthen our support of digital download technologies that promote a more environmentally
    friendly music distribution system. Currently we are introducing the entire Minus catalogue on our new online store
    (
    www.m-nus.com), as well as working with our partner Beatport (www.beatport.com) to ensure viable digital alternatives to
    purchasing physical goods.
    Listen differently, download digitally!

As there is always new research and data in the ever changing area of global climate change, we will continue to evaluate
    our position and the steps that we can make towards being as e
    nvironmentally friendly and as neutral as possible.
    Sincerely,

Richie Hawtin, President Minus Inc. / Plus 8 Records Ltd. / Minus Multimedia GmbH

• tiddles
    Encryption, Jr.
    • Jun 2004

Re: m_nus to go "green"

good for them

Comment

• res0nat0r
      Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
      • May 2006

it is hip to do this now.
      btw buying carbon credits is a load of bullshit. if you want to actually try and do something good then DONT DO THINGS THAT HURT THE ENVIRONMENT in the first place. trying to "buy back" what you put out is just a "do as a i say not as i do" cop out so that you can try and be hip without changing shit in your lifestyle.

Comment

• |Thrax|
        Platinum Poster
        • Mar 2007

lol @ carbon credits...this isn't fucking BOOST MOBILE.

"i'm buying carbon credits, where you at dogg!?!??"
        This is the voice from planet love. Have no fear we are your friends. To bring peace and love to your world, we are sending you our very special agent. Her name is love love love...

-Chris
        Myspace::Facebook:: NIGHTMOVES.ME nightlife+lifestyle photography

Comment

• alexfish333
          Gold Gabber
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by res0nat0r
          it is hip to do this now.
          btw buying carbon credits is a load of bullshit. if you want to actually try and do something good then DONT DO THINGS THAT HURT THE ENVIRONMENT in the first place. trying to "buy back" what you put out is just a "do as a i say not as i do" cop out so that you can try and be hip without changing shit in your lifestyle.
          Artists that travel for a living arent going to stop flying and start to go broke as a result. If carbon credits are such bullshit then please show some proof.
          Holosound@Vertigo in Costa Rica Streaming Video and Audio http://livestream.com/urbanettv/vide...8-c5911280cf91

Part of the weekend never dies...

Comment

• anonin
            Juvenile Delinquent
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by |Thrax|
            lol @ carbon credits...this isn't fucking BOOST MOBILE.

"i'm buying carbon credits, where you at dogg!?!??"

hahahahahaha.

Comment

• res0nat0r
              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
              • May 2006

like i said before....

dont try and act like you are doing the environment a favour by paying someone else to change their ways, just keep your mouth shut, it is pretty cool to be 'green' right now, but in a couple of years this trend will die off just like the atkins fad did when he took a dive...you are still doing the environment harm in the first place by still emitting the little baddies that al gore loves to hate, if you want to do something really useful, dont do it in the first place.

decent article about this junk:
              On Monday's CBS Evening News, White House reporter Jim Axelrod adopted Democratic terminology as he referred to President Bush's plan to call “for an escalation in the number of U.S.

Comment

• alexfish333
                Gold Gabber
                • Jul 2004

Originally posted by res0nat0r
                like i said before....

dont try and act like you are doing the environment a favour by paying someone else to change their ways, just keep your mouth shut, it is pretty cool to be 'green' right now, but in a couple of years this trend will die off just like the atkins fad did when he took a dive...you are still doing the environment harm in the first place by still emitting the little baddies that al gore loves to hate, if you want to do something really useful, dont do it in the first place.

decent article about this junk:
                http://newsbusters.org/node/10989
                ?Noel Sheppard is an economist, business owner, and Associate Editor of NewsBusters.

^^^Sweet Source
                Holosound@Vertigo in Costa Rica Streaming Video and Audio http://livestream.com/urbanettv/vide...8-c5911280cf91

Comment

• res0nat0r
                  Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                  • May 2006

Originally posted by alexfish333
                  —Noel Sheppard is an economist, business owner, and Associate Editor of NewsBusters.

^^^Sweet Source
                  couldn't get al gore to give me a direct quote. i don't really care if people do this or not, but don't pat yourselves on the back saying you are doing the environment any good. shit i just bought a sports car and i am happy to say "fuck the environment!" if someone asks me if i am trying to reduce pollutants. just don't dissuade yourself that you are actually doing much of any good w/ this scheme...

Comment

• KinKyJ
                    Platinum Poser
                    • Jun 2004

I'm with Stefhen on this one. Carbon credits was a good idea to reach the Kyoto norm, but from the environmental side it's complete crap.

Btw, bashing Hawtin for carbon credits isn't completely fair either. If you read on, you see that he takes initiave in other fields too like packaging for instance.

I don't care if some companies use this green thing as a marketing stunt or not, at least awareness is created and initiatives are being taken.

Comment

• unkownartist
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by KinKyJ
                      I don't care if some companies use this green thing as a marketing stunt or not, at least awareness is created and initiatives are being taken.
                      tbh i doint think it will sell them any more records

Comment

• KinKyJ
                        Platinum Poser
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by red1
                        tbh i doint think it will sell them any more records
                        Which wasn't my point, but well yeah. Here, have a cookie *toss*

Comment

• alexfish333
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jul 2004

I would love something better than carbon credits but my point is-what is someone to do who has a job that requires travel and wants to do something responsible.

And I don't want to hear "just don't fly" because that's ridiculously unrealistic. And also, to the sportscar thing and not caring about the environment-I don't know how cool that is.......

Comment

• res0nat0r
                            Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                            • May 2006

I would love something better than carbon credits but my point is-what is someone to do who has a job that requires travel and wants to do something responsible.
                            oops double post somehow

Comment

• res0nat0r
                              Someone MARRY ME!! LOL
                              • May 2006

its just keep your damn mouth shut and not jump on the politically-correct-thing-to-do-this-election-season-bandwagon. stop patting yourself on the back for nothing thinking you are changing the world is all.

Comment

Working...