How to control the input with USB external soundcard.... preamp??

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phoenixbass
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

How to control the input with USB external soundcard.... preamp??

I have an " ADS Tech Instant Music " I use to record my live sets, but there is no way to control the output level from the USB to my PC and consequently when the output from the mixer is too high, the recording turns to crap ! Any ideas on how to adjust the output without buying a new USB interface ? Guess I just need the right preamp.

Thanks
  • unkownartist
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: How to control the input with USB external soundcard.... preamp??

tried the volume controls in the "sounds and audio devices" bit on the control panel ?

click on the audio tab and then click volume

Comment

• phoenixbass
      Addiction started
      • Jun 2004

I have tried every option on the computer.....nothing can change it input level, guess because its coming in USB....thanks though

Comment

• Cj Tari
        MCast Resident DJ
        • Nov 2004

what program are you recording with?

i know most sound editing programs i use to record, such as Sound Forge, have a "Input Volume".

try looking for some input volume inside of the program youre using to record, maybe in "general preferences" or " audio options" etc.

if that doesnt work, just try and record a couple of small practice sessions, with a pre-arranged volumen setting, that way you can pinpoint a volume setting on your mixer that you can continue using every time you record.

..:: listen :: react ::..
        http://www.myspace.com/djcjtari
        http://www.facebook.com/cjtari
        http://soundcloud.com/cj-tari

Comment

• slim shady
          Getting Somewhere
          • May 2006

the interface input clips (input level too high) because the mixer input is too hot, am i right?

if im right, then you need an attenuator, for a few dollars (or cents) you can build one...

Comment

• phoenixbass
            Addiction started
            • Jun 2004

Sound Forge does not have an input control.

" the interface input clips (input level too high) because the mixer input is too hot, am i right?

if im right, then you need an attenuator, for a few dollars (or cents) you can build one... "

YES

at the club I'm playing sometimes I need to redline the mixer to get what I feel is LOUD ENOUGH and when that happens the recording clips big time and is lost.....! Just looking for a cheap way to cut the input level from the mixer before it enters the USB external sound card.

Thanks guys

Comment

• jeffrey collins
              Not cool enough
              • Jun 2004

I've got a tascam usb-144 and have found out to use a mic the correct way I do need to purchase a nice mic preamp. Luckily Presonus makes a nice tube mic pre for around 100$.
              Jeffrey Collins: Painter
              My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
              My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• slim shady
                Getting Somewhere
                • May 2006

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
                I've got a tascam usb-144 and have found out to use a mic the correct way I do need to purchase a nice mic preamp. Luckily Presonus makes a nice tube mic pre for around 100$.
                but the output of the mic is very low, he says the output of the mixer is very high

you need this:

(one for left and one for right)

Comment

Working...