X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

fo-NE-tik

Bush's office has unexpectedly (and errantly) released an advance copy of his speech before the UN. Check this out:

Pronunciations for President Bush's friend French President Sarkozy "[sar-KOzee]" appeared in draft #20 [of his speech] on the UN website. Other pronunciations included the Mugabe "[moo-GAHbee] regime" and pronunciations for countries "Kyrgyzstan [KEYRgeez-stan]" and "Mauritania [moor-EH-tain-ee-a]."

On the one hand, this should be just a funny little goof -- until you consider that our president evidently isn't familiar enough with Sarkozy or the Mugabe regime to know how to say them without assistance.

This begs a bigger question. Does Bush stumble over words because he just stumbles over words (which is forgivable), or because he sincerely isn't familiar with them (which is really not)? I've always thought that his word-mangling was kinda funny, but if this is the first time saying these words such that he needs a pronunciation guide in his speech, that's really troubling because it suggests that he really and truly doesn't know what he's talking about.

I realize that all politicians have speechwriters, but does Bush even comprehend what he's regurgitating?
  • Miroslav
    WHOA I can change this!1!
    • Apr 2006

Re: fo-NE-tik

^^I suspect he has some general idea

My guess would be that this is not unique to Bush, though; they'd probably do this with every president.
    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
      Anyone have Styx livesets?
      • Jun 2004

its a really good idea from his speech writers/management - when he mispronounces world leaders names it comes off horribly.
      Any structure to help him do better is worthwhile.

However - it doesn't stop him being an idiot - when he takes questions and rolls his answer in circles clearly not knowing what he is talking about - he comes across as not very bright, whether he says the words correctly or not.
      This is particularly evident when he has been given a phrase of the day to explain something away - he cant generate idea's for himself to be able to talk through a subject without just using his given phrases repeatedly.

IMO.
      ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• KinKyJ
        Platinum Poser
        • Jun 2004

So is Austria still fighting in Iraq?

Comment

• day_for_night
          Are you Kidding me??
          • Jun 2004

He needs those because he is an idiot. He was a C student in highschool. Were not talking a brilliant guy here. Remember the kid in class who you hoped and prayed would never have to read out loud cause it was like listening to an auditory train wreck? thats george dubuya for you. (notice the way i spelled dubuya. even he could nail that one...)

Comment

Working...