X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boymercury
    Fresh Peossy
    • Jun 2004

external harddrive vs internal harddrive

so am i correct in assuming that an external harddrive is stuRdier & less likely to crash than an internal harddrive? i've just had horrible luck with hard drives the last 2 years. 3 internal western digital harddrives down. i want to convert all my cd's to mp3 or wma for quicker access. any feedback
  • swedetech
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Re: external harddrive vs internal harddrive

Go for a Seagate HD, they never brake down! Maxtor - Western Digital etc all pieces of shitt!

---------------

check out http://www.stockmonk.net for all your graphic needs!!! and www.jnmedia.com for custom websites, animation, 3d and more...

Comment

• boymercury
      Fresh Peossy
      • Jun 2004

i was actually lookin at an external by ximeta. it connects by either usb2.0 or ethernet! which i really like. we run a wireless network in my house hold so the idea of storing all our music on a single harddrive that is accessible from different terminals is awesome! but the thing im not sure of is whether or not its performance will be hampered by multiple users accessing information at the same time theres a link for it below from bestbuy.com

Comment

• cmd
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

^^^ I wouldnt agree. WD and Seagate are pretty much in the same category when it comes to standard pc harddrive...
        boymercury, the problems you had with 3 WD down, that is not normal. Probably you are running them too hot? What is the temperature of your pc inside?

Comment

• boymercury
          Fresh Peossy
          • Jun 2004

the internal temperature ?! im not sure to be honest. i've got a VPR matrix 253r. thats what i love about best buy's service plans, i get one more problem & i get a new computer not exceeding my original purchase price! that new sony ra710g is lookin mighty nice from here

Comment

• cmd
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jun 2004

try installing this program and see if you can read the tamp from any sensors you have:
            [web:b55093bf09]http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php[/web:b55093bf09]

Comment

• msanchez
              Gold Gabber
              • Jun 2004

That prog is too confusing for me...even the help file didnt help..
              ..you didnt create me, you infected me with your poison

SoulSeek Name: msanchez

Comment

• djway
                Getting Somewhere
                • Jun 2004

I'd go an external drive with Firewire. I've been using my iPod for about a year as a portible HDD just to transfer data around the place.... It's able to copy/play data faster then what seems to be faster then an internal drive....

--djway

Comment

• FM
                  Wooooooo!
                  • Jun 2004

I'm actually looking at a IDE internal drive in an external casing that'll run off of USB 2.0 down the road..or a couple..

On a side note my sister's IBM Deskstar is now on the clicking death sounds...never heard good things about those, now I know why...at least it's just under warranty still.
                  FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
                  "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
                  Facebook!
                  A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• djway
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Jun 2004

That's what I mean. Get an IDE drive, then buy the chassis that runs/supports Firewire. Firewire > USB2.0

The whole iPod thong, was just a test of an external HDD running firewire vs usb2.0.

Also, make sure you get a HDD with a fast RPM.

--djway

Comment

• asdf_admin
                      i use to be important
                      • Jun 2004

just remember ... every machine fails.
                      dead, yet alive.

Comment

Working...