X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FM
    Wooooooo!
    • Jun 2004

I Love This Article...

LONDON, England (CNN) -- A British museum has canceled a lecture by Dr. James Watson, co-discoverer of the DNA double helix, after he claimed black people are less intelligent than whites in a recent newspaper interview.

James Watson won the 1962 Nobel prize for discovering the structure of DNA.

Watson, who won the 1962 Nobel prize for his part in discovering the structure of DNA, provoked a storm of criticism after his comments were published in the Sunday Times.
    The eminent biologist told the British newspaper he was "inherently gloomy about the prospect of Africa" because "all our social policies are based on the fact that their intelligence is the same as ours -- whereas all the testing says not really."
    Watson, 79, had been due to give a lecture at London's Science Museum on Friday but the museum canceled his appearance, saying his comments had "gone beyond the point of acceptable debate."

The American professor's words have been roundly condemned as "racist," with fellow scientists dismissing his claims as "genetic nonsense."

"He should recognize that statements of this sort have racist functions and are to be deeply, deeply regretted," said Professor Steven Rose of the British Open University.
    Watson is credited with discovering the double helix along with Maurice Wilkins and Francis Crick in 1962.

In the newspaper interview, he said there was no reason to think that races which had grown up in separate geographical locations should have evolved identically. He went on to say that although he hoped everyone was equal, "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true".

The British government's skills minister, David Lammy, who is black, called the comments "deeply offensive" and said Watson would only succeed in providing oxygen for extremist political groups.

"It is a shame that a man with a record of scientific distinction should see his work overshadowed by his own irrational prejudices," Lammy told CNN.

Watson is not the first scientist to show sympathy for the theory of a racial basis for intellectual difference. In March of last year Dr. Frank Ellis from Leeds University provoked anger in Britain after he admitted he found evidence that racial groups perform differently "extremely convincing."
    FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
    "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
    Facebook!
    A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.
  • runningman
    Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
    • Jun 2004

Re: I Love This Article...

its funny because nobody wants to have an open debate with a nobel prize winner.. I say lets hear what he has to say I mean we listened to him before about DNA right??

Comment

• Shpira
      Angry Boy Child
      • Oct 2006

If he can prove it lets listen to the man I mean why is everyone jumping at the guys throat he is a SCIENTIST so lets see what SCIENCE can prove...if it on th other hand turns out to be bolocks hang the fucker...untill then its open for discussion.
      p.s. This is my oppinion anyway ... it pisses me of that they imediatly wrote him of as a loony just because he has different oppinions on the matter than those that are generally accepted...he didn't say anything violent or violence provoking he merely expressed his oppinion on the matter...an oppinion which perhaps can be proved... It doesnt really change anything anyway even if its true at least not in my mind....who gives a shit which race is GENERALY smarter? Only fucking idiots...
      Furthermore I don't see why this can't be true just as if you ask anyone who is into bodybuillding about black and white genetics...and is not scared of telling you the truth will say that the blacks have better predispositions for such sports....look at sprinting as another exaple top ten today ALL black?
      Another example is the cock thing ... lol.
      black --------------------------------------
      white -----------------------
      oriental----------
      lol
      The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
      Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• kittymarmalade
        Fresh Peossy
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by runningman
        its funny because nobody wants to have an open debate with a nobel prize winner.. I say lets hear what he has to say I mean we listened to him before about DNA right??
        exactly. he should of been left to speak.

I'm not sure whether he chose to back out of his lecture, or was refused, but if he's such a looney, why are people so afraid of letting him spout nonsense?

Let him make his case. Even if he draws in the crowds because of sensationalism - if the science and philosophy holds up, then no-one should be worried.

What good ever came of censoring anyone? Discouraging debate only leads to suspicion, and rightly so.
        Issuing colonics by request.

Comment

• Miroslav
          WHOA I can change this!1!
          • Apr 2006

^^ true indeed, censorship is bad...but maann I would not ever want to be the first one to try to explain that science out in public. would be like holding a grenade when the pin falls out.
          mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• superdave
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

I'd prefer to see some evidence that blacks aren't as smart as Asians and White people. I would hope that he has something to back his claims up. Even if does have findings that support his argument, is the lack of intelligence significant enough for an African country not to succeed?
            Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• runningman
              Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
              • Jun 2004

they are burning this guy at the stake right now... so either he didn't have the data to back up his claims or it is so politically incorrect that they have just dismissed him. I still haven't heard any "real" information still just the claims.

Comment

• younga4
                Fresh Peossy
                • Sep 2007

Very untactful for a Nobel Peace Prize recipient.
                Naturally said for a 72 year old.

Cheers
                Young

Comment

• Shpira
                  Angry Boy Child
                  • Oct 2006

Think thats bad for the Nobel prize what about this guy..Guenter Grass...he was a prominent NAZI - SS officer who recieved a nobel prize...lol
                  The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                  Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• AntonyM
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Oct 2004

He might have been useful during the Scopes trial.
                    Originally posted by Shpira
                    So came back last night...
                    Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
                    Originally posted by Illuminate
                    Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
                    2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
                    3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
                    4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• subterFUSE
                      Gold Gabber
                      • Nov 2006

People readily accept that certain breeds of dogs have different predispositions for various traits.... intelligence among them.

German Shepherds are commonly chosen for police training because of their intelligence and athleticism. Bloodhounds are chosen for cadaver dogs because of their keen sense of smell. A pit bull dog has enough bite strength to crush a human skull.... etc..

There are genetic differences among us all. Our genes dictate everything about us. If your mom has blue eyes, and your dad has blue eyes.... then you have blue eyes. Blue eyes are a double-recessive trait, so if both parents have blue eyes then all possible offspring will have them. We readily accept this as fact without any qualms. But as soon as someone makes a less politically correct point, all hell breaks loose. This is problematic, and it stifles progress. We have seen unpopular theories rejected in the past. The world was once thought flat. The earth thought to be the center of the universe. The sun thought to be a chariot. People who questioned these ideas were shunned, shouted down, or even killed.

Am I saying that this exact instance of intelligence of Africans is true? No. Just that we shouldn't be so quick to denounce an idea just because it is unpopular. Such actions have delayed our progress thoughout civilization.

Comment

Working...