Do people make fun of you for listening to edm?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rainman
    Platinum Poster
    • Dec 2005

Re: Do people make fun of you for listening to edm?

Originally posted by peloquin
    seems to me that listening to electronic music makes you a "raver" in most peoples eyes
    PLUR!!!!

The only people that say anything negative about it are usually the people that have shitty taste in music anyway. I cannot help people that only have the radio as a source of new music. My employees usually come into my office dancing if I am listening to EDM, it's pretty funny.

Comment

• AntonyM
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Oct 2004

Music has been a bridge for all of my real friendships
      so most of my friends either already dug the music
      or liked it after their first club night or after listening wonderful discs like NE1
      communication, or The orb.
      Originally posted by Shpira
      So came back last night...
      Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
      Originally posted by Illuminate
      Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
      2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
      3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
      4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• lilsensa
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Jun 2004

When people I know hear some of the stuff I play...They start moving their hands and arms and say, "I'm raving to this music" or "This is rave music right?".....Annoys me....
        RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
          Anyone have Styx livesets?
          • Jun 2004

y'all need to move to Europe
          ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• lilsensa
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

^^Where everyone is cool??
            RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
              Anyone have Styx livesets?
              • Jun 2004

not at all - where electronic music is like pop music.

and you get the "joys" of Blue by Eiffle65 and Barbiegirl by whoever that was. aye great stuff.
              ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• JK224
                Addiction started
                • Oct 2005

Yes, people around here especially because the closest edm club is hours away, meaning that the only nightlife around here revolves around top 40 bullshit.

"Oh so you listen to that uncy acy"
                "How many times have you done ecstasy?"

Comment

• ShawnD64
                  Quickshot the Minute Man
                  • Jan 2005

when judged for self-expression.
                  One realizes those who leave you, where never with you to begin with. Thus non-attachment is personal freedom in any relationship or not. Only the Ego Mind craves attachment. Personal relationships, like Life... are a dynamic and continual process. So to, must the Mind be. Dynamic. Flexible. Water.

my friends are cool. i try to surround myself with people who have some intelligence and are open minded. most of my friends are not into edm, but have an open mind and are willing to listen and respect it. co-workers... some are fuckers, some are interested. i am pretty quiet about it at work. the less most people know about my private life the better imo. i have opened up to some people a bit, but the wrong ones, and it was just a pain in the ass.
                  http://soundcloud.com/scd64
                  http://www.myspace.com/scd64
                  http://b-sidesradio.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Jibgolly
                    Vortexuralizor
                    • Jun 2004

when people ask me what type music i listen to i usually give a blanket response: "techno" or sometimes "house music" i find that it's usually a big waste of breath trying to explain the difference between Music, and the bullshit on the fm dance stations, so i will just steer clear of any music related talk since i am totally biased and hate 100% of the crap on the radio. if i even get so far a to state my opinion on commercial music i usually come across as a total asshole since i tend to think the people that are satisfied listening to that trash are more simple minded than myself.

Comment

• toasty
                      Sir Toastiness
                      • Jun 2004

I have one friend who jokes that I listen to "boom chicka boom chicka" music. I joke back that he listens to "shit"

Comment

• floridaorange
                        I'm merely a humble butler
                        • Dec 2005

its normal in san diego and orlando and those are the only places i've lived...

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• fumanchu182
                          Angantyr The Ruthless
                          • Jun 2004

I have noticed that people that have bashed me for EDM are either in the catagory that listen to KTU 103.5 here in NYC or they listen to 97.1 or 105.1. Either way those stations speak volume about who really should be laughing at who. Usually I just walk away and remind myself that most developers listen to diggers when they open up their IDE and start blasting away.

If they ain't with me, fuck em I always say.
                          The sailors of the United States Navy are among the most disciplined, devoted, and well-trained fighting men the world has ever known. They drink gasoline and piss fire, The spit bullets and shit bombs, and will swim across the ocean with a knife in their teeth just for the chance to carve up those that threaten their homeland.

Comment

• lilsensa
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • Jun 2004

Untz Untz Untz
                            RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• lilsensa
                              DUDERZ get a life!!!
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Huggie Smiles
                              not at all - where electronic music is like pop music.
                              Actually, I do wish that I lived in England. That is where my mom and her side of the family is from.
                              RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• feather
                                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                                • Jul 2004

Doof doof doof.

I usually give people shit about listening to indie music 'cos it's so trendy now. Every dickwad around is either some emo indie kid or neu rave or electro clash whatever fuck. Take your music and shove it, leaves me with more space on the floor when Digweed swings by again.

And the people who don't understand EDM describes everything with a 4/4 beat as 'techno' and in their minds, they're thinking some kinda euro trash dance megamix music.

Seriously I just don't get it. Within the EDM genre there's such a spectrum of sounds and sub-genres ranging from breaks to psy to trance to tech to minimal to prog to house. The 'other music' are what sounds all the same to me

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                                a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                                Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Working...