X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FM
    Wooooooo!
    • Jun 2004

Motorcycle world abuzz at 205 mph ticket

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) ? People across the country are shaking their heads over the kid ticketed for allegedly riding his motorcycle at 205 mph ? some out of disapproval, other because they doubt he went that fast.

Ever since a State Patrol pilot clocked Samuel Armstrong Tilley's 2002 Honda RC51 going a quarter-mile in 4.39 seconds on Sept. 18, people in chatrooms, garages and biker bars from Sturgis, S.D., to Los Angeles have been buzzing about the alleged feat on Highway 61 near Wabasha.

"Certainly anyone who flouts the law to that extent is seen by some as a latter-day Robin Hood, flying in the face of authority and doing stuff we all want to do but common sense stops us from," said David Edwards, editor-in-chief of Cycle World, a magazine based in Newport Beach, Calif.

Edwards is among the many experts who doubt Tilley's bike could have gone so fast. "More likely, the cop with the stopwatch had an itchy trigger finger," he told the Star Tribune of Minneapolis.

"There are lots of guys who have been spending a lot of money and a lot of years at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah trying to join the official 200 Club and most still haven't done it," Edwards said. He said Tilley's bike would have needed an add-on turbo charger to go above 165 mph.

State Patrol pilot Al Loney, a 27-year veteran, and his superiors stand by their report.

Tilley, who graduated from Stillwater High School last year, hasn't returned numerous calls seeking comment. He's due to appear in Wabasha County Court on Oct. 25.

Tilley purchased his motorcycle last summer from Tousley Motorsports in White Bear Lake, where he once worked.

Tousley President Larry Koch said Tilley is a nice guy, "but I really want to ask him: 'What in the hell were you thinking?'"

?__

On the Net:

A copy of the ticket is at http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0922042speed1.html

----

PS it looks like the ticket's only good for $330...I've gotten a lot worst then that for going FAR less on the speeds...
    FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
    "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
    Facebook!
    A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.
  • Jibgolly
    Vortexuralizor
    • Jun 2004

cool

Comment

• tiddles
      Encryption, Jr.
      • Jun 2004

those copter readings can have huge accuracy problems at high speeds

Comment

• Morgan
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by tiddles";p="
        those copter readings can have huge accuracy problems at high speeds
        That is very true. Over a small distance like that and at that speed, a human pressing the stopwatch button and stopping it again leaves a large area of doubt. Human reactions are fast, but defo not that fast.

Still i?d be well chuffed to be booked at over 200mph.
        "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• picklemonkey
          Double hoodie beer monster
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Morgan";p="
          No shit dude! I'd frame that ticket and keep copies in my wallet at all times.

Comment

• neoee
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey";p="
            Originally posted by Morgan";p="
            No shit dude! I'd frame that ticket and keep copies in my wallet at all times.
            I don't have one for 200 but I do have one from when I was 17 which the officer clocked me @ 126 (right after I hit the brakes). I've got the officers notes from that one too. Been meaning to frame it but never got around to it.
            "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• ANUBIS
              Fresh Peossy
              • Jun 2004

Re: Motorcycle world abuzz at 205 mph ticket

does he still have a liscence ?

cause up here...it would have been revoked on the spot for doing
              that kind of speed...

Comment

• Weizy
                MCast Resident DJ
                • Jun 2004

Man people up in these here Twin Cities drive like fucking maniacs, either way too slow or way too fast. 205 that is insane!

Comment

• CrackedSun
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Sep 2004

Comment

Working...