X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 2eq
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Computer Help Needed...

Hope somebody can help me on this cause i'm banging my head against a brick wall here.

Its all to do with wirelessly sharing files...

I have a - Desktop P4 computer. XPpro with SP2 using a Belkin router

Which is connected wirelessly to a Laptop Centrino. XPpro also with SP2.

Now I can use the existing shared folder that is on both computers with no problems at all.

But when i try and add a folder like this...

... the folder that I select doesnt show on my laptop anywhere?

I've looked everywhere on the net for some tips on this but I cant seem to find any. What am I doing wrong?

And I also cant find out how to print a document from my laptop on to my printer via the wireless network. as the supplied wizard also doesnt work!

Sorry if it seems like I havent got a clue, it's just that i'm very new to all this Wireless business. I'd really appreciate any help on these matters.

Cheers.
    sweet in winter, sweet in rain...
    shake well before use she said
    you never touch me anymore this way.
  • picklemonkey
    Double hoodie beer monster
    • Jun 2004

try accessing the folder by typing this in your explorer location bar:

\\computername\My Music

It might not be appearing to the computer, but if the share exists you can probably just go straight there by typing the actual location.

Comment

• Morgan
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

Re: Computer Help Needed...

Little short of Info in your post.

I have a hard wired 5 client network, using a switch and router.

First things first. Hasve you set up the network connection correctly, can all your clients browse the internet?

You need to go to the properties of the folder and then sharing tab, then permissions, set the permissions to full control all. see if this works.

This should work, but as you are on a wireless network it will allow anyone who can gain access to you WiFi into your music.

You will then need to set the permissions specfically for your other client. this should be easy enough by adding the the computer name in the permissions section and then allowing this computer full access. Remeber to take out Full Control for all after you set the permissions for one a specfic computer.

if your not confident please write down all the settings before you change them, it is easy to mess up permissions and get yourself in a right pickle.

PM if you need more help.
      "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• Morgan
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

As for the printer,

1. you need to share it.
        2. Use MS Windows Network Client in network connections (on client)to locate and install the printer.
        "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• 2eq
          Getting Somewhere
          • Jun 2004

I really am glad there are helpfull peeps out there...

Guess what it was though in the end.

The fucking SP2 firewall!!!!

I swear to god, if I had a hump hammer today....

*deep breath*

Thanks anyhow guys

Comment

• peloquin
            Till I Come!
            • Jun 2004

sp2 *shudder*

dont have it installed, dont plan on installing it

Comment

• ivanb
              Fresh Peossy
              • Aug 2004

sp2 anal raped my upload capability..now i cant upload shit
              and im to lazy to look thru 323234534 pages of microsoft pages to figure out how to fix their problem

Comment

• picklemonkey
                • Jun 2004

I installed SP2 on my work laptop today just to prove to my coworkers that I had faith in it. (I work in IT, so everybody shudders at the thought of using it) I've had it on my work desktop since the first day it was released with no problems, and even had a beta version on a temp computer. I really don't see what everybody has against it! Just turn off the firewall and the popup blocker and it's practically the same as SP1a.

Comment

• 2eq
                  Getting Somewhere
                  • Jun 2004

I agree with Pickle actually. It aint that bad really. It's just the little things like what i've just been through that drive you round the fucking bend

Comment

• thepariah
                    Getting Somewhere
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by picklemonkey";p="
                    I installed SP2 on my work laptop today just to prove to my coworkers that I had faith in it. (I work in IT, so everybody shudders at the thought of using it) I've had it on my work desktop since the first day it was released with no problems, and even had a beta version on a temp computer. I really don't see what everybody has against it! Just turn off the firewall and the popup blocker and it's practically the same as SP1a.
                    In my opinion, what people have against SP2 is that microsoft made the descission to lock down the network, which can be unlocked but they force the person using the computer to LEARN what it is they are actually doing with it. Also in my opinion, I think their way of thinking makes some sense. Most people have their computers wide open sitting on high speed connections and then complain when they get viruses, trojans, etc. If they aren't savvy enough to make smart descisions about what they are doing with their computer, force them to take some responsibilty.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                      • Jun 2004

yeh pariah. Everybody's been bitching about ms products since they came out, been bitching about how insecure they are and how it needs to be fixed. Everybody just got used to bitching about Microsoft, so once they did what the public wanted nobody realized it's the answer to what everybody's been bitching about ever since the bitching started. Bitches

Everyone else has to realize that any coder that writes code as complex as the stuff ms is writing, bugs arise. I know when I write code, sometimes I won't discover "major" bugs until a few weeks/months into using it. I have a few projects at work that are like that. Everybody complains about the bugs because everybody else in the world uses the same software, so everyone can relate. Service packs/updates come out for all major software companies all the time, people need to realize that it's a service for the user. QuickTime, Adobe, Flash, RealAudio, etc products all have Automatic Udpate functions in their code, too. bah. I'll shut up.

Comment

Working...