• djsethnichols
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

Wired : Vinyl may be final nail in CD's coffin

cool read.

Link

Vinyl May Be Final Nail in CD's Coffin

By Eliot Van Buskirk 10.29.07 | 12:00 AM
    As counterintuitive as it may seem in this age of iPods and digital downloads, vinyl -- the favorite physical format of indie music collectors and audiophiles -- is poised to re-enter the mainstream, or at least become a major tributary.
    Talk to almost anyone in the music business' vital indie and DJ scenes and you'll encounter a uniformly optimistic picture of the vinyl market.
    "I'm hearing from labels and distributors that vinyl is way up," said Ian Connelly, client relations manager of independent distributor alliance IODA, in an e-mail interview. "And not just the boutique, limited-edition colored vinyl that Jesu/Isis-style fans are hot for right now."
    Pressing plants are ramping up production, but where is the demand coming from? Why do so many people still love vinyl, even though its bulky, analog nature is anathema to everything music is supposed to be these days? Records, the vinyl evangelists will tell you, provide more of a connection between fans and artists. And many of today's music fans buy 180-gram vinyl LPs for home listening and MP3s for their portable devices.
    "For many of us, and certainly for many of our artists, the vinyl is the true version of the release," said Matador's Patrick Amory. "The size and presence of the artwork, the division into sides, the better sound quality, above all the involvement and work the listener has to put in, all make it the format of choice for people who really care about music."
    Because these music fans also listen using portable players and computers, Matador and other labels include coupons in record packaging that can be used to download MP3 versions of the songs. Amory called the coupon program "hugely popular."
    Portability is no longer any reason to stick with CDs, and neither is audio quality. Although vinyl purists are ripe for parody, they're right about one thing: Records can sound better than CDs.
    Although CDs have a wider dynamic range, mastering houses are often encouraged to compress the audio on CDs to make it as loud as possible: It's the so-called loudness war. Since the audio on vinyl can't be compressed to such extremes, records generally offer a more nuanced sound.
    Another reason for vinyl's sonic superiority is that no matter how high a sampling rate is, it can never contain all of the data present in an analog groove, Nyquist's theorem to the contrary.
    "The digital world will never get there," said Chris Ashworth, owner of United Record Pressing, the country's largest record pressing plant.
    Golden-eared audiophiles have long testified to vinyl's warmer, richer sound. And now demand for vinyl is on the rise. Pressing plants that were already at capacity are staying there, while others are cranking out more records than they did last year in order to keep pace with demand.
    Don MacInnis, owner of Record Technology in Camarillo, California, predicts production will be up 25 percent over last year by the end of 2007. And he's not talking about small runs of dance music for DJs, but the whole gamut of music: "new albums, reissues, majors and indies ... jazz, blues, classical, pop and a lot of (classic) rock."
    Turntables are hot again as well. Insound, an online music retailer that recently began selling USB turntables alongside vinyl, can't keep them in stock, according to the company's director, Patrick McNamara.
    And on Oct. 17, Amazon.com launched a vinyl-only section stocked with a growing collection of titles and several models of record players.
    Big labels still aren't buying the vinyl comeback, but it wouldn't be the first time the industry failed to identify a new trend in the music biz.
    "Our numbers, at least, don't really point to a resurgence," said Jonathan Lamy, the Recording Industry Association of America's director of communications. Likewise, Nielsen SoundScan, which registered a slight increase in vinyl sales last year, nonetheless showed a 43 percent decrease between 2000 and 2006.
    But when it comes to vinyl, these organizations don't really know what they're talking about. The RIAA's numbers are misleading because its member labels are only now beginning to react to the growing demand for vinyl. As for SoundScan, its numbers don't include many of the small indie and dance shops where records are sold. More importantly, neither organization tracks used records sold at stores or on eBay -- arguably the central clearinghouse for vinyl worldwide.
    Vinyl's popularity has been underreported before.
    "The Consumer Electronics Association said that only 100,000 turntables were sold in 2004. Numark alone sold more than that to pro DJs that year," said Chris Roman, product manager for Numark.
    And the vinyl-MP3 tag team might just hasten the long-predicted death of the CD.
    San Francisco indie band The Society of Rockets, for example, plans to release its next album strictly on vinyl and as MP3 files.
    "Having just gone through the process of mastering our new album for digital and for vinyl, I can say it is completely amazing how different they really sound," said lead singer and guitarist Joshua Babcock in an e-mail interview. "The way the vinyl is so much better and warmer and more interesting to listen to is a wonder."
    https://t.me/pump_upp
  • sammwalk
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

Re: Wired : Vinyl may be final nail in CD's coffin

sales will plummet after the whole indie/hipster/emo thing dies down, and then it'll be gone forever.

Comment

• Miroslav
      WHOA I can change this!1!
      • Apr 2006

VINYL!!!
      mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• BureOne
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

Im gonna look me some 80's right now!!

I love the smell of vinyl in my bedroom after playing them for about an hour.. Mmmmmm almost as sweet as the smell of grand daddy purple kush

Comment

• Cj Tari
          MCast Resident DJ
          • Nov 2004

i dont think vinyl is desapearing, nor cd's. whoever wrotte that article is not looking into facts clearly, the only market in wich vinyl sales are uprising is in the rock/indie/punk scene, where all of these groups now are putting out their releases on vinyl, like Radiohead is doing.

I love vinyl my self, im a dj who learned how to mix on vinyl and love all the antics that come with vinyl mixes, from having to take care of every record, compared to just tossing cd's here and there.
          i love carrying my record bag, that it might be heavy as fuck, but still, i look more of a dj, than just carrying a cd booklet under my arm.
          ..:: listen :: react ::..
          http://www.myspace.com/djcjtari
          http://www.facebook.com/cjtari
          http://soundcloud.com/cj-tari

Comment

• kassios
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Vinyl still Rocks!!!
            http://soundcloud.com/concept-sheep

Comment

• unkownartist
              Banned
              • Nov 2005

how the hell do we progress if we still use old technology, it doesnt make sense imo, tbh i really dont wanna get into this whole analogue vrs digital argument again, there are many arguments on both sides of the coin

Comment

• Jayson
                Addiction started
                • Nov 2004

Originally posted by djsethnichols
                Although CDs have a wider dynamic range, mastering houses are often encouraged to compress the audio on CDs to make it as loud as possible: It's the so-called loudness war. Since the audio on vinyl can't be compressed to such extremes, records generally offer a more nuanced sound.
                Most asinine statement out there, this isn't the cd's fault, it's the engineers fault. After reading that the writer lost all credibility.
                Piss off you phucking wanksters!

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                  Not cool enough
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by sammwalk
                  sales will plummet after the whole indie/hipster/emo thing dies down, and then it'll be gone forever.

-5000000 for that small minded and negative assed thought.

Vinyl will always find it's way back into peoples hearts and collections.
                  Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                  My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                  My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Miroslav
                    WHOA I can change this!1!
                    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Jayson
                    Most asinine statement out there, this isn't the cd's fault, it's the engineers fault. After reading that the writer lost all credibility.

If you read the statement, you'd see that the writer says:

...mastering houses are often encouraged to compress the audio on CDs to make it as loud as possible...
                    In other words, the writer is agreeing with you!

If the engineers are handling the CD compression in the aforementioned way, then the result for CD sound is what it is; "blaming CDs" has nothing to do with it. You can agree or disagree with the author in regards to engineering techniques of CDs (I'm certainly no expert), but I really don't see what "asinine" has to do with it.
                    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• |Thrax|
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Mar 2007

"-Bullshit alert: Wired has a piece of commentary online that argues demand for vinyl records is actually going up, despite the industry's own numbers that sales have been dropping precipitously. The only evidence in the piece comes from people (a distributor, a label spokesperson and and vinyl maker) who provide no hard numbers and who have a stake in the sales of vinyl. The report is preposterous, and it ignores the real story -- that even the truest of true-school vinyl holdouts, namely hip-hop DJs, are going digital (in their case, via Serato Scratch DJing software). The recent unshackling of digital music by labels such as EMI and Universal will only make this digital tsunami grow as far as DJs are concerned. (We need our MP3s and .wav files free of digital-rights-management limitations so it will work with DJing software). And this is coming from yours truly, a man who treasures his vinyl."
                      This is the voice from planet love. Have no fear we are your friends. To bring peace and love to your world, we are sending you our very special agent. Her name is love love love...

-Chris
                      Myspace::Facebook:: NIGHTMOVES.ME nightlife+lifestyle photography

Comment

• AntonyM
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Oct 2004

It's all about costs
                        Vinyl will make a comeback when
                        all these youngster decide it is hip
                        then we can unload all our records we
                        no longer want.
                        Originally posted by Shpira
                        So came back last night...
                        Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
                        Originally posted by Illuminate
                        Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
                        2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
                        3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
                        4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• In-SighT
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

i love vinyl a lot more than cd but god dammit its tough paying 11.99 compared to 1.99 for the same track.

if i had a shit load of cash falling out of my ass I would stick with vinyl but until that happens, beatport is the way for me
                          "A man has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another beer."

Want Spoon'n music?
                          Check out my downtempo mixes
                          http://ryanlinneman.podOmatic.com

Comment

• djsethnichols
                            Addiction started
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by red1
                            how the hell do we progress if we still use old technology, it doesnt make sense imo, tbh i really dont wanna get into this whole analogue vrs digital argument again, there are many arguments on both sides of the coin
                            it may be 'old' but it's still the best. the truest replication of the original music. the difference is to far noticeable for me to ditch it. and I don't collect indie rock
                            https://t.me/pump_upp

Comment

• Jayson
                              Addiction started
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Miroslav
                              If you read the statement, you'd see that the writer says:

In other words, the writer is agreeing with you!

If the engineers are handling the CD compression in the aforementioned way, then the result for CD sound is what it is; "blaming CDs" has nothing to do with it. You can agree or disagree with the author in regards to engineering techniques of CDs (I'm certainly no expert), but I really don't see what "asinine" has to do with it.
                              He seemed to be using this statement as a con for CDs and a Pro for Vinyl, or that's the impression I got at least when this is a moot fact for the pro/con debate.

And the only reason the engineers try to make them louder is because Band "A" bring in a cd from Band "B" and says they want it louder. All the engineers are doing is serving the and providing what the customer wants so it's the bands fault more than anything.
                              Piss off you phucking wanksters!

Comment

Working...