Kerry makes an attempt to quit the *Ruff* Chit Chat ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asdf_admin
    i use to be important
    • Jun 2004

Kerry makes an attempt to quit the *Ruff* Chit Chat ...

Kerry appeals for end to election advertising war

1 hour, 46 minutes ago

SPRING GREEN, United States (AFP) - Democratic presidential challenger John Kerry (news - web sites) appealed for an end to the TV advertising war that has marked his election battle against President George W. Bush (news - web sites).

Kerry said the avalanche of negative television spots and attacks being shown on US screens was scaring off voters.

"Americans need a real conversation over our future," Kerry said in a speech at a school in Spring Green, Wisconsin.

"What they don't need is all these trumped up advertisements, they just make people curl up and walk away," added the Massachusetts senator.

"I'm calling them 'misleadisments,'" Kerry said of the adverts. "It's all scare tactics ... because (Bush) has no record to run on."

The Democrats have complained bitterly about a new advertisement that shows Osama bin Laden (news - web sites), September 11 hijack leader Mohamed Atta, Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) and the ruins of the World Trade Center, and questioned whether Kerry was up to dealing with them.

A statement called the spot, run by the Republican group Progress for America Voter Fund, the latest in a series of "desperate and despicable attack ads" aimed at diverting attention from Bush's record.

The Democrats have rolled out a new advert of their own, titled "Despicable," in which they accused the Bush administration of "playing politics with terror" and dividing the country to win a second term at the White House.

A group called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth has also been at the center of the television advertising battle with controversial spots aimed at discrediting Kerry's Vietnam War record. The adverts accused the decorated Vietnam War veteran of exaggerating or lying about his exploits.

In Wisconsin, Kerry also made a personality attack against the president, saying that he and his rival are both children of privilege, but Bush considers his comfortable position an entitlement.

Kerry said "he and I, we went to the same university, we're both very privileged." Both men attended Yale University.

The Democrat added that from his education "came a sense of fairness and responsibility" while Bush "thinks it's entitlement."

Kerry said America's middle classes had suffered from the huge tax cuts that Bush had presided over and which Democrats say mainly benefit the most wealthy.

"He doesn't care, he's out of touch," said Kerry.

The Democratic contender has been in Wisconsin since Sunday preparing for the first of the presidential debates against Bush on Thursday.

He sought to highlight his own campaign commitments ahead of the November 2 election against Bush's "broken promise after broken promise".

Kerry also launched a new attack Bush's campaign in Iraq (news - web sites), a topic where Republicans have accused him of continually changing position.

"I've been right on Iraq all along," said Kerry. "I said yes, we ought to hold him (Saddam Hussein) accountable, but let's do it the right way, and I showed what it was, step by step. And step-by-step the president chose the wrong way."

Source

woudn't that be nice on both sides?
    dead, yet alive.
  • Yao
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Kerry makes an attempt to quit the *Ruff* Chit Chat ...

Those very personally aimed attacks still surprise me...it's not about the contents, it's more about the picture you paint from your opponent. Kerry wants Bush to stop attacking him, yet launches his own verbal missiles the very same instant??

Fuck, I'm confused.
    Blowkick visual & graphic design - No Civilization. Now With Broadband.

There are but three true sports -- bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. -Hemingway

Comment

• EvenSteven
      Getting Somewhere
      • Sep 2004

negative ads work. sad but true.

Comment

• asdf_admin
        i use to be important
        • Jun 2004

it super sad. let's just hope this will be an equal deal on both sides. this is not the first attempt in politics.
        dead, yet alive.

Comment

Working...