• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gjg21
    Gold Gabber
    • Jul 2004

City or burbs?

just curious, where do you punks live?

urban issues and whatnot happen to be a big interest of mine (as well as my major.) fill me in.
  • peloquin
    Till I Come!
    • Jun 2004

well.... a suburb city of a larger city... but its pretty city-ish i think :P

Comment

• remy
      Getting Somewhere
      • Sep 2004

Re: City or burbs?

the concrete jungle produces the best beats, so most of us probably are drawn to city life.

I read a good short essay about suburban life in Douglas Coupland's "Polaroids from the Dead". It was about suburb life in general and the surreal suburb life in Brentwood California. It was where Marilyn Monroe offed herself and where O.J. Simpson "didn't kill" Nicole. He talks a lot about how, these days, people's lives can easily become "denarrated" ... where people in the middle to upper class suburb life have lots of things to fill their life with (money, fame, breakfast cereal toys etc.) but no structural meaningful story to their lives, which creates the feeling of being lost.

Comment

• diskofreak
        Gold Gabber
        • Jun 2004

i live/grew up in the suburbs,
        but i hope to eventually move into the city :P

Comment

• gjg21
          Gold Gabber
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by remy";p="
          people in the middle to upper class suburb life have lots of things to fill their life with (money, fame, breakfast cereal toys etc.) but no structural meaningful story to their lives, which creates the feeling of being lost.
          often very true. i may have to check out that book sometime.

Comment

• CrackedSun
            Getting Somewhere
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by remy";p="
            the concrete jungle produces the best beats, so most of us probably are drawn to city life.

I read a good short essay about suburban life in Douglas Coupland's "Polaroids from the Dead". It was about suburb life in general and the surreal suburb life in Brentwood California. It was where Marilyn Monroe offed herself and where O.J. Simpson "didn't kill" Nicole. He talks a lot about how, these days, people's lives can easily become "denarrated" ... where people in the middle to upper class suburb life have lots of things to fill their life with (money, fame, breakfast cereal toys etc.) but no structural meaningful story to their lives, which creates the feeling of being lost.
            could you point me in the direction of this essay? This stuff has really be interesting me recently, as with my constant movement from city to burb/rural life is starting to pose all sorts of questions to me. (last couple yrs---> suburban philly---->burb london--->Boston-->small town coastal NC--->NYC (some back and forth in there as well)
            Anyway, I always used to consider the city far superior, but now i'm having feelings both ways. Just something thats been interesting me latley

Comment

• thezzapper
              Gold Gabber
              • Jun 2004

i grew up in the the suburbs of new york city in new jersey. yuk! boring! boring as hell. been in the greatest city in the world since i was 18 years old - new york. wouldn't live anywhere else...
              sigpic

Comment

• nbpgt
                Platinum Poster
                • Jun 2004

i now live in the one of the outer burbs (not the farthest by any means) but used to live in one of the burbs closer to downtown

Comment

• Steve Graham
                  DJ Jelly
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by peloquin";p="
                  well.... a suburb city of a larger city... but its pretty city-ish i think :P
                  same here. its a bit rural-ish though

Comment

• gjg21
                    Gold Gabber
                    • Jul 2004

suburb of a larger city is still a suburb.

unless you're talking about something like Evanston, IL or Bethesda, MD. Still suburbs, but more dense and urban than the average.

Comment

• remy
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by CrackedSun";p="
                      could you point me in the direction of this essay? This stuff has really be interesting me recently, as with my constant movement from city to burb/rural life is starting to pose all sorts of questions to me. (last couple yrs---> suburban philly---->burb london--->Boston-->small town coastal NC--->NYC (some back and forth in there as well)
                      Anyway, I always used to consider the city far superior, but now i'm having feelings both ways. Just something thats been interesting me latley
                      Its here:

Its actually a collection of essays and photographs about different things. The essay on Suburbia and Brentwood is the long one at the end of the book.

Comment

• naDJa
                        Fresh Peossy
                        • Sep 2004

inner burbs

Comment

• michaelbirney
                          Getting warmed up
                          • Aug 2004

downtown Cincinnati
                          "These are the kind of people who, when they read about the evils of drinking, they give up reading." - Herb Cohen

Comment

• remoh
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

i live in the suburbs ... i like being away from the caos of the city but close enough were i can drive to get myself in trouble
                            [URL="http://www.darkdrums.com/"]| Visit www.darkdrums.com |
                            |http://myspace.com/darkdrumsmusic |

Comment

• neoee
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by remoh";p="
                              i live in the suburbs ... i like being away from the caos of the city but close enough were i can drive to get myself in trouble
                              ^^^^ I'm with you there and housing prices are much more reasonable out in the burbs.
                              "They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security." -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Working...