X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drthundr
    Addiction started
    • Jun 2004

XP SP2 - Remote Desktop

Apparently many people out there are having issues connecting via Remote Desktop with XP SP2. I was able to connect from an SP2 machine to SP1 machine just fine, but it will not work when trying to connect and SP2 to SP2. Is there a known fix for this? I can't believe this doesn't work. I know, I know...go buy a Mac...but unfortunately that doesn't solve my immediate problems...anyone know what the story is with this?
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

SP2 is the anti christ!

Comment

• picklemonkey
      Double hoodie beer monster
      • Jun 2004

Either (1) disable the XP firewall, or (2) check the option in the XP firewall settings to allow Remote Desktop.

(1) Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Off, OK

(2) Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Exceptions tab, Check Remote Desktop, OK

Whatever you do, DONT BUY A MAC!

Comment

• Painted Lady
        Fresh Peossy
        • Sep 2004

Re: XP SP2 - Remote Desktop

XP SP2 has loads of compatibility issues, and may be preventing remote desktop from accessing the internet. Loads of programmes are now having compatibility issues with XP SP2 try disabling the firewall.

Comment

• ezzjoe
          Fresh Peossy
          • Sep 2004

Glad I read this fore upgrading.

Comment

• mikenytola
            Getting Somewhere
            • Jun 2004

So far the reviews from friends hasn't been so hot on SP2, so I think I'm going to wait a bit before I start using it. I like my computer working.

Comment

• Kamal
              Administrator
              • May 2002

Well I think XP2 is more for corporate users than home users..... I was having seroius connectivity problems on a Win 2K3 network connecting an XP box to a SQL database..... apparently there are bugs in how fast the data is downloaded as opposed to uploaded....

believe it or not.... SP2 fixed that prob... I did everything under the sun to find a solution, upadeted NIC drivers, changed transmission settings from Auto to full duplex to half duplex etc etc and got nothing..... suddenly SP2 installs itself, I disable the firewall, and all my probs are taken care of...

so not all it lost

-e-
              www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
              he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
              Originally posted by ace_dl
              Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
              I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• drthundr
                Addiction started
                • Jun 2004

picklemonkey...i disabled the firewall on both machines. Checked all of the boxes on the Exceptions Tab. I keep getting an error "The remote computer has ended the connection" Then it boots me out. I try by IP and by computer name...still the same error. Maybe it's a port issue?

Comment

• Pataky P
                  asdf_imo
                  • Jun 2004

The Xp Sp2 is very,very good!!
                  I downloaded,and i love this program!Very safety!!!And good!

Comment

• demonAfro
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

vnc?

Comment

• Kamal
                      Administrator
                      • May 2002

VNC doesnt work as well as Remote Desktop (which is faster and much better with remote 16 bit graphical rendering). WinVNC has serious refresh issues on WinNT / some 2000 boxes...

we were using VNC to remote login and it was a nightmare on some machines..... plus if you use VNC within a VPN connection and remote open files through your virtual network WHILE keepig VNC running, it crashes your and the remote desktop and I dont know why....

-e-
                      www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
                      he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
                      Originally posted by ace_dl
                      Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
                      I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• picklemonkey
                        • Jun 2004

drthundr, Right-click My Computer and click the Remote Tab. Verify that SP2 didn't uncheck your Remote Desktop checkbox.

Try using the computer's IP address instead of DNS address in the Remote Desktop window. If you need the IP open a command prompt and type ipconfig

If this doesn't work, try erasing the following registry key: (you might want to export it first, as a backup)
                        • Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\MSLicensing\ Store\License000

If that doesn't work, try this:

Comment

• drthundr
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

thanks...i'll give that a shot. I just spoke to one of our network guys. he went to a free XP SP2 seminar this past week. It seems that SP2 is geared more towards use with AD (Active Directory). We're not running that just yet....hopefully in the next 2 months. He said to uninstall SP2 since our firewall does everything SP2 would do...basically duplicating our efforts. VNC is good and reliable, but you can't log on as the admin. That's one of the benefits of Remote Desktop. Maybe microsoft will come up with fix soon, otherwise we're going back to SP1.

Comment

• picklemonkey
                            • Jun 2004

I work in IT at my company, and we're using AD here. It's true that the firewall is all done from your corporate firewall, but that's not the only reason that SP2 was released. I've attended a few SP2 meetings and have heard all sorts of issues with it, and everything sounds good. SP2 has protection from code execution straight from the computer's memory, which is supposedly how many of the newer viruses have been executing. I suggest leaving XPSP2, because the firewall doesn't do everything SP2 does. Popup blocker, more bug fixes, etc, just an overall more secure operating system.

Comment

• bblitzmu
                              slacker
                              • Jun 2004

depends on whether or not you changed the default port of 3389 for remote desktop. If you have many machines on a network it is a must to do this to have access to all of them. If this is the case you have to add the new port to your firewalls accept list. I had this problem because i was using non default ports on two of my machines. Easy fix but does the trick, if that is your problem obviously...

Comment

Working...