X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shoobadoo
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jan 2007

hip-hop?

I was wondering what everyone thinks of hip-hop.

Personally, I've never really been much of a fan of the mainstream stuff. I liked it when i was younger but as I've got older I've found that some of the lyrics of "pop" rap songs send such a horrible message to people not to mention that so many of the tracks are very similar. I do like the riffs in hip hop though and artists with originality and meaningful lyrics. I think rap has the potential to be great, it's just that the mainstream stuff has gone down the wrong path.

well, that's my two cents. Looking forward to hearing everyone's response.

100th post!
  • nick007
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Oct 2007

Re: hip-hop?

Originally posted by shoobadoo
    I was wondering what everyone thinks of hip-hop.

Personally, I've never really been much of a fan of the mainstream stuff. I liked it when i was younger but as I've got older I've found that some of the lyrics of "pop" rap songs send such a horrible message to people not to mention that so many of the tracks are very similar. I do like the riffs in hip hop though and artists with originality and meaningful lyrics. I think rap has the potential to be great, it's just that the mainstream stuff has gone down the wrong path.

well, that's my two cents. Looking forward to hearing everyone's response.

100th post!
    Its CRAP! We have Kwaito, South Afircan hip hop and because its the in thing, the radio stations play it big time, all the time....Its still CRAP!! All versions in any form

The largest room in the world, is the room for improvement!

Comment

• Dhar_2
      meat and potatoes
      • Jun 2004

i cant stand hippity hop!!!

each to their own mind!!! just make sure i cant hear it!!!

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

i grew up listning to hip hop. There is all this crap out today that i can't stand and don't have any idea what it how people can listen to it....and then there is Wu Tang, fking legends. Just like any other genre of music...there is really good stuff...and lots of bad.

Comment

• KinKyJ
          Platinum Poser
          • Jun 2004

Beasty Boys y'all, the rest is waste of electricity (cfr. my sig)

Comment

• rainman
            Platinum Poster
            • Dec 2005

agree with jenks. there is plenty of good in there but you have dig through so much shit to get to it, after your done you wonder if it was worth it. my recommendation if you are looking for good hip hop, know someone who listens to it all the time and ask them for "the good."

hip hop artists will have to change their business model if they truly wish to stay competitive in the music industry. imo they will prolly have to cut out the cursing all together in order to target consumers that will actually listen to it. my two boys love DMX and Eminem, but how many of their songs can they actually listen to? kids love hip hop, but most parents will not allow their kids to listen due to offensive language. in essence hip hop artists are marketing their music to individuals that really don't care about hip hop anymore. 10 years ago white suburbanites between the ages of 14 and 30 where the main buyers of rap, i think it's all been played out. i grew up listening to NWA, Dre, Snoop, Wu Tang, etc. but damn, at this point, i don't care if you have a gun, i don't care if you get high, i don't give a shit about the club, your spinnas, your chain, your homies or your ho's; in fact would be fairly impressed if any of the artists actually have half the shit they brag about. bunch of fake ass gangsta's hollering about fake ass gangsta's imo (the majority of the new shit that is) end rant

Comment

• Jenks
              I'm kind of a big deal.
              • Jun 2004

i find the "a lot of it is shit, you have to dig for the good stuff" comment to be true for every genre of music.

Comment

• rainman
                Platinum Poster
                • Dec 2005

i'll agree with that

just noticed your rep power...DAYUM!

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
                  Editor Shmeditor
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by nick007
                  Its CRAP! CRAP!! All versions in any form
                  I disagree completely, and it's narrow-minded to say this. How much have you listened to? I would guess not every style of Hip-Hop going. Some stuff sends a really positive message - it's not ALL about shooting people and ho-bashing. Some stuff that De La Soul have put out is incredibly melodic, well-produced and musical with thought-provoking lyrcis (eg. A.O.I parts 1 and 2) and guys like Common are definately flying the flag for accessible, soulful Hip-Hop. It's not really my thing, and i haven't really scratched the surface that much but i'm definately not about to write off an entire genre of music because some of the more commerical stuff is complete gash. If that were the case, I'd never listen to House!

Plus 'Doggstyle' is one of the best albums ever made.
                  Catch my bi-monthly show on UB Radio

http://www.ubradio.net/djs/greg-sawyer-99?sort=7

Comment

• diegoff
                    Are you Kidding me??
                    • Jun 2004

I don´t enjoy hip hop, and I think it´s not nice even for smoking grass...
                    It´s a spiritual thing!

feb 2021 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/pand...os-inflamables
                    Sept 26th https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/earthling-vibes
                    May 1st 2020 https://soundcloud.com/diegoarv/current

Comment

• jay813
                      Platinum Poster
                      • May 2005

common, lupe fiasco, little brother, even kanye (whether u like his personality is another thing) j dilla (rip), 9th wonder, etc..there are quite a few "rappers" that come out with great music and if you base an entire genre of music by what you hear on the radio, then by no means are you any better that everyone else that shits on electronic music when their only access to it is what they see in raves.
                      (or even the crappy trance that is heard in some radio stations)

Comment

• lilsensa
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

Tribe Called Quest. Jurassic 5. Living Legends. A few of my favs.
                        RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• rainman
                          Platinum Poster
                          • Dec 2005

ohmega watts, gang star, jedi mind tricks, the roots, common, talib kweli and of course UGK

Comment

• max
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by KinKyJ
                            Beasty Boys y'all, the rest is waste of electricity (cfr. my sig)

agree with u.. except, run dmc i would include..
                            ...and yes, its a repost^^

Comment

• BureOne
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jun 2004

real hip hop, the underground kind, the kind were the artists aren't signed are usually really good.

dope lyrics and what not.

Anything that is played on the radio I don't consider hip hop, it's crap rap.

What used to be played back in the day as maybe "commerical" rap, like De La Soul, EPMD, Craig Mac, KRS One.. all that shit is good,.. mid 80's to early 90's rap was and is fucking awesome.

You gotta dig around for some true hip hop

Comment

Working...