• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Miroslav
    WHOA I can change this!1!
    • Apr 2006

Re: Iran has no WMD's

Originally posted by Shpira
    If you know that you are going to loose money in the long run on oil prices why sell weapons to both sides so that they can fight each other???
    Why invade Iraq and stay there for 5 years sitting on your hands while people kill each other by the hundreds each day...
    Maybe you can explain why the US government would go against its own interests...cuz I don't get it?

I for one think that its more than an Idiot president....don’t get me wrong I’m not saying conspiracy and what not but there are perhapse interests we don't know about...
    To answer your question: I think the US props up the Saudi Arabian royal family and sells arms to various contingencies over there precisely because it wants to preverse stability, not create instability. But the catch is that the US wants to preserve a kind of stability that is in its own best interests; the last thing the US wants to see is some militant/terrorist factions get into power and possibly doing something nutty with the oil (like play around with output levels to the US's disadvantage). So, the US tries to prop up various players that it thinks are in their own interest but who are "weak" - i.e., in danger of being toppled by extremist factions. I think this fits the Saudi ruling family quite well...this is from back in 2004: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,128348,00.html

I also doubt that the US is getting some sort of a special deal on oil. Oil is sold through complex global commodity markets with many players in there, and it just isn't anywhere nearly as simple as "hey, give us some weapons and we'll drop ship a few barrels to you". I think the upside to the US of this kind of activity is simply that the groups it likes stay in power and as much stability as possible is maintained.

I'm not saying that what the US is doing is right or just, mind you...this is just my $.02 of what I figure is going on.
    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• Shpira
      Angry Boy Child
      • Oct 2006

"this is just my $.02 of what I figure is going on."

I don't really understand what this means...?

Sorry, I'm not American....
      The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
      Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Miroslav
        • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Shpira
        "this is just my $.02 of what I figure is going on."

I don't really understand what this means...?

Sorry, I'm not American....
        It means it's just my opinion of what is happening - in written form, the expression here is: "my two cents" on the situation.

Comment

• Shpira
          Angry Boy Child
          • Oct 2006

Well okay...thats fair enough. Nevertheless I still think that something as simple as "hey, give us some weapons and we'll drop ship a few barrels to you" is happening. Maybe not exactly in those words....but there are so many breaches of these "complex market mechanisms" such as the oil for food scandals in the 90's with Sadams government.

I agree that on face value and generally speaking it is market regulated but I think when it comes to vital national interests (Oil being one of the main ones) anything goes.

p.s. thanks for explaining the term
          The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
          Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Miroslav
            • Apr 2006

^^ np and I respect your opinion...it might come out that way in the news some day, who knows..

Comment

Working...