Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • demonAfro
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

Isn't the broadcast only 128k layer 2 anyway?

Comment

• nbpgt
      Platinum Poster
      • Jun 2004

i just love the ms, so much info w/ a helping of sarcasim.

Comment

• asdf_admin
        i use to be important
        • Jun 2004

yeah. you get a steaming meal only to bite into a cold piece of steak. mmm. =P
        dead, yet alive.

Comment

• bananapeel
          Addiction started
          • Jun 2004

Re: to the [ms] Team

You must have sensitive ears to hear the difference, I'm still getting the getting the groove & feel of the sets, that's good enough for me!

Comment

• FM
            Wooooooo!
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by arielus";p="
            why going to a compression without loss when we are ripping a radio show?
            it's radio dude... can't even compare cd quality with that, so why worrying about the compression?
            Bingo! Radio is already a loss as is due to the FM signal compression, even if recorded on a digital tuner like most people do...so to slightly compress it a bit more is not going to destroy the sound...192 is pretty close as is based on file size as well.
            FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
            "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
            Facebook!
            A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• krolikk
              Getting Somewhere
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by ";p="
              Originally posted by arielus";p="
              why going to a compression without loss when we are ripping a radio show?
              it's radio dude... can't even compare cd quality with that, so why worrying about the compression?
              Bingo! Radio is already a loss as is due to the FM signal compression, even if recorded on a digital tuner like most people do...so to slightly compress it a bit more is not going to destroy the sound...192 is pretty close as is based on file size as well.
              Even the oldest Indians know there is no such a thing like FM compression...it is called modulation or whatever in english and it doesnt make any difference in signal quality.

Back to the thing...no sens in having 250mb files...true, think about ale the dial up guys who are still trying overnight downloads.
              Its like she's cast a spell....I wish I knew how to break it!!

www.progressivepolska.com

Comment

• xeb
                Addiction started
                • Jun 2004

jesus you just can't please some people. i dont' want fucking 250mb mixes taking up space on my harddrive and taking too long to download. its a fucking radio mix for gods sake, deal with mp3. unless you're listening to it through decent monitors or something then the extra quality is a complete waste anyway.

people that bitch about the quality of 192kbps mp3s need to get a life IMO
                www.nigelmarcussen.com
                www.tribalis-totalis.com

Comment

• SOULKEEPER
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by xeb";p="
                  jesus you just can't please some people. i dont' want fucking 250mb mixes taking up space on my harddrive and taking too long to download. its a fucking radio mix for gods sake, deal with mp3. unless you're listening to it through decent monitors or something then the extra quality is a complete waste anyway.

people that bitch about the quality of 192kbps mp3s need to get a life IMO
                  I couldn't agree more. It's time for the bitchin' to end. Take off the diapers ya whinny ingrates.

Comment

• ubiqe
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

Originally posted by demonAfro";p="
                    Isn't the broadcast only 128k layer 2 anyway?
                    It's not recorded from the web broadcast...

And my cd player DOES play mp3 and DOES NOT play wav. Of course it does not play flac either. Sure, I could get myself a converter but I bought myself a cd/mp3 player just for the reason that I don't have to convert anything (with a standard mp3 player I would have to rip my cds to mp3...)

Comment

• rms1k
                      Getting Somewhere
                      • Jun 2004

I gotta agree with the .."Don't fix what ain't broke" Idea. I've been listening to them this way on megga watt system and sounds pretty good to me. THe bass and the highs are all there. A little hiss is not gonna make me less inclined to listen. Progress not perfection is alot happier way of life for me. I'm greatfull to have what we got. And on a high speed server, not some P2P network that is alot slower. Love MS and it's crew for the sets and everything else.
                      Gotta keep on keepin' on
                      slsk username rms3k
                      message me to be put on my list, all ms peeps welcome

Comment

• Jibgolly
                        Vortexuralizor
                        • Jun 2004

i concur. roger, over. over, roger.

Comment

• djway
                          Getting Somewhere
                          • Jun 2004

FLAC is pointless, as said the audio source isn't a CD to begin with.

I can hear upto 256kb/s, and I really couldn't be fucked, downloading a RADIO SHOW (regardless of show) @ 2x the current file size for something that sounds the slightest bit better.

I'd rather save MY and MS's bandwidth.

I like the mp3 format vs the Torrent format.(as long as MS can keep up the bandwidth) It allows me to download the sets @ work as it's HTTP traffic.

Thanks for sharing, really.

And if you're going FLAC, I'd prefer OGG

--djway

Comment

• Civic_Zen
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Jun 2004

I definetely agree with the "It ain't broken, why try an overhaul." mentality.

But adding my 2 cents.

3-4 years ago I bought the very first MP3 capable Car Stereo Deck that supports MP3's written to CD. It cost me like $500+ but it was well worth it. I enjoy listening to sets in my car more then anywhere else.

Compression is certainly not perfect, but like everyone has said, its a radio show. And for me, I can't fit 10+ hours of music onto one CD like I do now with FLAC files. And actually can fit closer to 12+ hours if I overburn. I can't take FLAC files and immediately put them onto my iPod and away I go. I would have to sit around converting everything I download as an incredibly large FLAC file, and then convert it to VBR MP3 and then just delete the FLAC because I have no need for it.

MP3 is my life. My iPod and my Kenwood are my life. I only need to have like 2 or 3 CDs in my car and they'll last me over a week.
                            "The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws." - Tacitus (55-117 A.D.)
                            "That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
                            - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• palmer
                              Retired or Simply Important
                              • Jun 2004

this thread is hilarious.
                              todayistomorrow
                              art direction | design | animation

Comment

• asdf_admin
                                i use to be important
                                • Jun 2004