• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djc200
    Getting Somewhere
    • Sep 2006

We Are 21st Century Counterculture...

Howdy kids...

I'm posting my latest piece on the secret society of clubbers. I write bi-weekly mailers and send out all kinds of great music. I write purely out of the love of my friends in the NYC house music community. No one pays me to write these things. Take a read, and if you're interested, email me at dave@burnindustries.com and I'll add you to the list. Also, find me on myspace. All my previous mailers are in my myspace blog so you can get an idea of what you'll be getting. Enjoy!

We Are... 21st Century Counterculture

They call us "ravers". They're your co-workers. They're the people that you share the subway with or carpool with Monday through Friday, to and from the office. They're the people that I wear my faux-hawk down for, lest they discover what my lifestyle is like outside of work. They're really just about anyone you see on the street on any given day. They're the ones that say, "All house music sounds the same." They exist outside of "our world", rarely looking in, and without an opportunity, a motive, or even the slightest inclination to ever do so. Hmph… "ravers". If there was a clearer indication of how cursory their understanding of us really is, I don't know it. Just the other day, I was having a discussion with a co-worker of mine and I tried to describe electronic music to her and the different subgenres and styles… from acid to tech to funk to electro… "Wait, "electro"?? Like, what does that mean? Is it like, 'ZZZZZ'," she said as she feigned being electrocuted. Yes, unfortunately, this is what I'm working with day in and day out.

As for us… we're Neo from The Matrix where one day we took the red pill and figured out that life is more than just about the daily grind and mind-numbingly pointless business meetings. We dance in our cubes and listen to live DJ sets every chance we get. We're always tactfully trying to sniff out those secret in-the-closet electronic music lovers in our office. I'm sure most of you, my readers, know what I'm talking about… how we feel like we bear a secret lifestyle which only fellow electronic music fans are privy to. We carry on most of our days just like every other law-abiding citizen. On the weekends, well, not so much. The experience that it brings… it kind of resembles a "Fight Club" secret cult culture, doesn't it? Because I think we can all safely say that what we tend to engage in outside of work (with dance music and "the scene") is certainly, to them, out of the ordinary… or as I see it, rather extraordinary. The scene… the music, the late nights, the dimly lit dance floors, the high hats and bass, the party-goers, the adrenaline, the DJ's, the Red Bull vodka's, the pumping your fists in the air to dance floor revelations, the seemingly boundless energy from your core to your limbs and fingers, the "Muscle Milk" ready-to-drink (RTD) meals at 8am after a long night on the Terrace at Space, and everything else that goes along with dance music culture. It's all par for the course, I'd say.

In effect, what we encompass is the image of the modern day hippie. We are, in many ways, 21st Century counter-culture. Most of us do not get too entrenched in fear campaigns, politics, and the 11 o'clock news. Rather, we are love and late nights. We are passion and understanding, and most importantly, we are the music. We know it, we study it, we speak intelligently about it, and we follow it, wherever it goes. We know that what we hear on a regular basis is where music should be today. In fact, if one day all of house music were banished to a remote island in the Pacific, we'd be the first ones to pack our bags and move there, not a single question asked.

To the outsiders, our lifestyle may be aberrant and bizarre but I for one see our collective dance floors around the world as vistas to the future… where love and late nights aren't stigmatized, but rather understood as a beautiful medium through which compassion, acceptance, and solidarity is born night after night, through beats, rhythms, and of course, killer dance moves. This is why we preach house music. This is why we never stopped since the day we started. This is why we chant, "Dance b*tches, DANCE!!"

Thanks for reading. Email me comments/stories if you'd like.

DC
    Global Frequencies
    www.globalfrequencies.com
  • thesightless
    Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
    • Jun 2004

Re: We Are 21st Century Counterculture...

to quote the great peter griffin...

eeehhh,,,,, what?
    your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
    download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• 88Mariner
      My dick is smaller
      • Nov 2006

killer dance moves

you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----

Comment

• Shpira
        Angry Boy Child
        • Oct 2006

Yeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh....I am not sure I really agree fully with what you are saying here...
        I am not really all in for that "arrogance" of saying that "our" music is the only good music...I don't know about you but in my opinion a little variation feels good sometimes...from classical to reggae I love it all. I love music. Not just house, trance and most electronic genres but music in general.
        As for a filling of belonging to a secret club...not sure about that either especially with the commercialization of dance music...how is it secret if John Digweed comes third on the Dj list???

I don't know man...these are just my thoughts on the matter...I am not criticizing you just saying how I feel about the subject...
        The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
        Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• ShawnD64
          Quickshot the Minute Man
          • Jan 2005

as commercial as it is in some places ... boston its often not.

the best nights i have had out this year where secret loft parties in the seedy parts of town. that and our only after hours club is a members/invite only club above a pizza shop... to the normal person on any day of the week, no idea its there.

i too love all music (indie rock, idm, ect), but here in boston... the underground is very much alive. we cant even land digweed here anymore.

i tell some co-workers about the places i go now, but i used to hide it all!.... of course i work in a place where it would be in my best interest to use a fake name on the invite list if i were going to something illegal
          http://soundcloud.com/scd64
          http://www.myspace.com/scd64
          http://b-sidesradio.blogspot.com/

Comment

• feather
            Shanghai ooompa loompa
            • Jul 2004

This is a joke right?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
            a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
            Originally posted by m1sT3rL
            Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• JK224
              Addiction started
              • Oct 2005

NYC I doubt that is the case at all...
              Last edited by JK224; April 27, 2008, 03:16:50 PM.

Comment

• Shpira
                Angry Boy Child
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by ShawnD64
                as commercial as it is in some places ... boston its often not.
                I agree with you...I am not saying that there aren't parties where the crowd is truly excelent and where music is great - or parties where almost everyone (apart from you and 5 others) leaves after 1 hour because the DJ is playing something they did not expect - that thumping pumping hard bass that hits you deep in your gut and those high pitched frequencies that give you goose bumps and make you fill like you are having five orgazams at once

But nevertheless on a global level there has been notcable comercialization of all forms of electronic music. That is more than clear...In addition to this the original post talks about Space - Ibiza...In my humble oppinion (I have not been there) that is a place I would like to visit for its history once and never come back....I am honestly disgusted with most parties these days...although I am very young...(not an old time party animal like some on this board) I can imagine that the parties a while back when house and electronic music was only starting were much better,

These days I almost prefer to sit at home and listen to a great set than go out and listen to something avarage that the "crowd" is going wild over.
                i find that good parties are becoming harder to find everyday that pases...and it honestly makes me sad...thats the truth.

So maybe I used to feel like I am a part of a "very special club" but not anymore...

The only possible solution is to go deeper underground...
                The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
                Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• lilsensa
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

^^How much deeper underground should we go?
                  RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• lilsensa
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Jun 2004

oops..
                    RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Miroslav
                      WHOA I can change this!1!
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by lilsensa
                      ^^How much deeper underground should we go?
                      keep going!!! If you have to ask, that means we're not deep enough yet
                      mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• Shpira
                        Angry Boy Child
                        • Oct 2006

Till your in a deep and dark place and there is no one else around you...apart from the selected crowd of MS of course....
                        lol
                        The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• feather
                          Shanghai ooompa loompa
                          • Jul 2004

Do you need to be in the underground to enjoy good music? Does being underground magically improve the quality of music?

Good music's good music, nothing changes that. Only thing that changes is partying with likeminded souls who get you. I reserve that for a select bunch of friends who love this shit as much as I do and we're more often than not the last men standing on a good night.

But if you think underground means a tribe or a club you can step into and everyone's patting you on your back and giving you some secret handshake and nod, that's bullshit. Some go to get pilled up, some go to booze, some go 'cos their friends are out, some love the music even if they don't know who the DJ is, and some go 'cos they're trying to pick up. You have no idea why people are at the same party you go to, as much as you'd like to think so.

Not that there's anything wrong, but all this talk of a 'club to belong to' sounds like some Ecstacy honeymoon.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                          a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                          Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• AntonyM
                            DUDERZ get a life!!!
                            • Oct 2004

Agree with Feather, I have to go out of town
                            or out of the country to find a kickass clubnight.
                            If you want to head down the narcotic highway
                            to get there, it's your choice. But I imagine most of us here
                            already are overworked and underslept, so burning out
                            one extra till 8 or 9am, well, you really feel it.
                            Yet, the intention or devotion of djc200 seems sincere
                            but is all to readily available a target for the sharp wits
                            of the MS masses.
                            Originally posted by Shpira
                            So came back last night...
                            Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
                            Originally posted by Illuminate
                            Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
                            2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
                            3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
                            4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• Shpira
                              Angry Boy Child
                              • Oct 2006

Yeah you are right --- you don't have to go underground to listen to good music --- in a sense that you are talking about...but if the crowd going to the party is affecting what the DJ is playing and the crowd is shit then you are going to end up with shit music...that’s all I was saying.

If the crowd can't appreciate good music then you usually don't get good music...I think that the crowd is very important for a DJ otherwise you could have him isolated in a different room or play pre-recorded mixes....

To address another point a while back --------("Some go to get pilled up, some go to booze, some go 'cos their friends are out, some love the music even if they don't know who the DJ is, and some go 'cos they're trying to pick up.")---------- you wouldn't have all those people at these kind of parties because they would be hard to find i.e. not in the main stream clubs so only people who really liked the music would be there - no people who don't know the DJ and no people just there to pick up girls or get drunk or be complete pricks...
                              I am not saying you get a pad on the back i am saying that when you look around you see that everyone appreciates the sound as much as you do.
                              And when I said secret club I meant in a sense that many people were just too shallow to even give the music a chance but instead were stuck belonging to some "gang" dressing up in baggy jeans if they liked hip-hop or dressing up as skater's or surfers or whatever....trying to find some kind of acceptance from others...
                              ....while for me at good parties...when the crowd is good...you get that acceptance unconditionally just for being there...and generaly this music alowed you - me to be who you want....now I go to some parties and see everyone in their shitty metro-sexual uniforms------(not that I am after acceptance from anyone really) ...I am only making this point to link it to the original article's reference to the hippy culture...which was also to an extent about acceptance of this kind and the real hippy culture left over’s are not US but most likely the people who moved to Goa (India) and live there by the sea ---see film "last hippie standing"
                              The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

Working...