X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djbucko
    Getting Somewhere
    • Jun 2004

Re: Old Skool

makes perfect sense. however, perhaps i'm just a miserable old cunt too.

listening to sasha - live @ tyrant 1997 right now.

Comment

• dawnx
      The Donator
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by djbucko";p="
      makes perfect sense. however, perhaps i'm just a miserable old cunt too.

listening to sasha - live @ tyrant 1997 right now.

You're not old life begins at 30. :wink:

Comment

• djbucko
        Getting Somewhere
        • Jun 2004

so a couple of female friends who have, or are just about to turn 30 inform me.

i'm not convinced though.

Comment

• dawnx
          The Donator
          • Jun 2004

Believe me it does.

Comment

• northenstar
            Fresh Peossy
            • Jul 2004

Ren. 1 was the first mix CD I took on holiday with my future wife, still rocks now - 10 years later (my wife of course ). The CD's getting a rerelease too.

Comment

• supaz
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

IMO, when a dj is building their brand, they have to search out non-popular tracks that are 'sleepers' to build their brand/sound/vibe they bring into the set.

then...after they become a brand name, it seems they don't need to put much effort in finding tracks bc everyone is handing them stuff to get some playtime...so only the 'big' tracks get played over and over by all the top dj's...

I think that may be one of the reasons why that 'back in the day' things seemed to be different.

Comment

• Loafer
                Getting Somewhere
                • Jun 2004

hey chemical beavis, any chance of posting some sets from the old days by sasha and diggers, would like to get hold of some of there Nothern Esposure Tour live sets, back from 1997...
                "money talks, bullshit runs the marathon"

Comment

• influx
                  Gold Gabber
                  • Jun 2004

while i agree with everyone, i think that in the specific case of s&d , then and now doesn't fit the above mentioned philosphy from chonkey. i'm not saying that i don't agree wth that philosphy, because i do, i'm saying that s&d have obviously moved into different sounds from what they were playing back then. i think it's great they've moved into new and fresh sounds, which is one of the things that has made them so sucessful, especially digweed. however, i can't say that i'm really into the music that they've been playing lately. i'm really into the dark, dirty and intense stuff, which is what initially attracted to me to s&d via the communicate album. but now, the last few times i've seen digweed, it's been great, but just not the sound that i really get into, a little too much fluff for me. and for me, my preferences havn't changed hardly in the last 10 years, generally speaking. so in some ways i'd have to agree with some statements made above, but i know what i like and i'll be damned if i'm gonna break that just to stick with my favorite dj, just because he's my "favorite". so maybe "back then" wasn't just the shit because i was young and impressionable, but simply was the right sound at the right time for me...i've always known what i like (as i'm sure most others do here as well) and back then it was there and i loved it, but now, i still know what i like, and i just ain't hearin' a whole lot of it.

habbersham definitely brings the best of the old school and new school and has really caught my full attention. out of all of the new jocks that have surfaced lately, i'd have to say that habbersham is the only one capable of becoming legend status and really making a mark in edm history (as i feel digweed has done as well, for sure.)
                  i reject your reality, and substitute my own.
                  www.flynoteproductions.com

Comment

• Morgan
                    Platinum Poster
                    • Jun 2004

Come on you lot.

Don?t forget they are both PROGRESSIVE DJ?s. :wink:
                    "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• mixu
                      Travel Guru Extraordinaire
                      • Jun 2004

1997 wasn't old skool!

I've just dug out some Sasha (and Digweed) tapes from 92-94 which is just post-Shelley's but pre-Renaissance 1, which are wicked... mainly Radio 1 mixes I got hold of.

Chem's right though, decent vocal tracks are very thin on the ground these days. Wasn't the Essential Mix from Renaissance this year a little bit old skool though???
                      Ask me a question...

Comment

Working...