Wow!

Human embryos cloned

at a loss for words
  • DancingQueen
    AVB FanClub | President
    • Oct 2005

Re: Wow!

^^^ why is this sad?
    Being able to clone embryo's for someone so they can have healthy stem cells or to use for curing terminal diseases is a good thing no?
    sigpic
    RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
    RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• feather
      Shanghai ooompa loompa
      • Jul 2004

Read recently that they're managing to harvest stem cells without harming embryos anyway. If that is confirmed and becomes standard practice, a lot of the ethical issues will be sidestepped. But yeah, I'm all for it.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
      a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
      Originally posted by m1sT3rL
      Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• rainman
        Platinum Poster
        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by DancingQueen
        ^^^ why is this sad?
        Being able to clone embryo's for someone so they can have healthy stem cells or to use for curing terminal diseases is a good thing no?
        not sad, (wasn't suppose to be sad, my bad) was amazed.

Comment

• threehills
          I heart Lollergirl
          • Jun 2005

This is very exciting stuff. If this is validated, this is probably bigger than the discovery of Penicillin in terms of what it can do for medicine and treatment of disease. If anyone wants to read the actual article describing the research, the link is below. Its an open source article so you should be able to access it. If not, PM me for the PDF.

Creation of Engineered Human Embryonic Stem Cell Lines Using phiC31 Integrase

ABSTRACT:

It has previously been shown that the phage-derived phiC31 integrase can efficiently target native pseudo-attachment sites in the genome of various species in cultured cells, as well as in vivo. To demonstrate its utility in human embryonic stem cells (hESC), we have created hESC-derived clones containing expression constructs. Variant human embryonic stem cell lines BG01v and SA002 were used to derive lines expressing a green fluorescent protein (GFP) marker under control of either the human Oct4 promoter or the EF1 promoter. Stable clones were selected by antibiotic resistance and further characterized. The frequency of integration suggested candidate hot spots in the genome, which were mapped using a plasmid rescue strategy. The pseudo-attP profile in hESC differed from those reported earlier in differentiated cells. Clones derived using this method retained the ability to differentiate into all three germ layers, and fidelity of expression of GFP was verified in differentiation assays. GFP expression driven by the Oct4 promoter recapitulated endogenous Oct4 expression, whereas persistent stable expression of GFP expression driven by the EF1 promoter was seen. Our results demonstrate the utility of phiC31 integrase to target pseudo-attP sites in hESC and show that integrase-mediated site-specific integration can efficiently create stably expressing engineered human embryonic stem cell clones. Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article.
          It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• Steve Graham
            DJ Jelly
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by rainman
            not sad, (wasn't suppose to be sad, my bad) was amazed.
            the blue sad face you used on the initial post looks not

Comment

• jasonemryss
              Getting Somewhere
              • Jan 2008

It's hard to define my feelings on this. This is definitely new terrortory for US humans. I behind it. I say go forth and Clone. It will ultimately benefit the human race, if in a trickle down kind of way. The thing about GEneticists is they have a hard time drawing the line in the moral sand. Nothing is sacred in the pursiut of knowledge.

Comment

• Huggie Smiles
                Anyone have Styx livesets?
                • Jun 2004

didn't Dolly the sheep die of cancer tho at an early age?

long way off before this becomes usable? I would guess.
                ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• Steve Graham
                  DJ Jelly
                  • Jun 2004

for US americans?

Comment

• filthy
                    Addiction started
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Steve Graham
                    for US americans?
                    +1?

otherwise i pretty much lead my life in hope of such progress
                    Come on, Scott, you're still young! Being a true loser takes years of ineptitude.

Comment

• rainman
                      Platinum Poster
                      • Dec 2005

damn it, never mind

Comment

• rainman
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Steve Graham
                        the blue sad face you used on the initial post looks not
                        i know, i know, but could not edit that after i submitted post.

Comment

• TomTom
                          Paging Doctor Weeds...we have a shortage on 1st St.
                          • May 2002

^^ Not your fault. That's one of the x-files of the vbulletin software we are running for this forum..why you can't edit the icon you have chosen for the thread is something I never really understood.

Comment

Working...