X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brakada
    Gold Gabber
    • Jun 2004

short interview - James Zabiela

Well finally after a couple of months of troubles with internet, a new job and some holidays I managed to come once again back to the MS, which now seems to be working in the 3rd edition.

And since it was such a long break, I thought my first post should be something special... So here it is, an interview a friend of mine and me did about a month ago when I managed to see JZ live for the first time here in Slovenia, when he was playing at the Sindustry festival...

So you made your big break through in Ibiza if that's correct. But my question is, where were you playing before and how hard was it to become known by party people all over the world?
    JZ: I used to just play in my hometown of Southampton. I was a resident in a local club. And I won a music competition which propelled me a little bit. But what really propelled me was getting a tape to Lee Burridge and he gave the tape to Sasha and then things started to happen by playing in Ibiza. I think before Sasha had listened to my tape, it was kind of tough. I was giving around lots of tapes and not really getting anywhere. Now it's obviously paid off, giving out all the tapes. It's easier now, because you have the internet and you can get a lot of good music and you can put your mixes on the message boards and all.

How old were you when you started playing?
    JZ: I did a school disco when I was 15.

I heard only the best about the dynamics you put in your music. Did you develop a ?universal? style that drives most of the people on the dancefloor mad?JZ:I don't know. I just play a bit of everything I guess. I like all sorts of music, anything from breakbeat, to house, to techno and back again, melodic stuff, acid stuff, all sorts. I guess that not having a style is a style in itself.

What kind of music did you play, when you started playing?
    JZ: Normally when you get into dance music you play more commercial stuff, but then you get bored of the same old stuff and you start to play more ?reasonable? music.

One ?stupid? question. Using three or more turntables is quite common in electronic dance music, especially techno. Do you think that a really good set can be played on only three or more turntables?
    JZ: No, but it's nice to have three, because then you've got the option to use one deck as a slave for playing samples and loops. It just allows more creativity and I guess if the DJ's having fun, being creative, then the people are going to have fun as well.

Sasha once proclaimed that you are the king of the dance floors. Who do you think is the modern king of dancefloors?
    JZ: Hmmm. I don't know. I guess I should say Sasha (laughter).

So you are ?big? friends?
    JZ: Yeah, we are. Good friends.

Is music your only occupation and your only field of work?

JZ: Yes, it is. I used to be a designer and I still dable in that a little bit, but I don't do that much of that anymore. With the DVJ machine Pioneer's just made I get to experiment with the visuals and my girlfriend is also an artist, so we make the visuals together.

And where is she?
    JZ: Oh, she's at home. Making visuals for Sander Kleinenberg.

And what are you planning for this year for your production besides visuals with your girlfriend?
    JZ: I write music on my laptop and do remixes of things, so just a bit more of that. And I'll continue to tour for the next few months to promote this CD Alive on Rennesaince.

Where do you get your inspiration. Does it depend on your feeling, your everyday expiriences or you just ?sit down and make music??
    JZ: I think all of those, really. It really depends on everything. A lot of music I make is in the hotel rooms on my laptop, so it's a good thing to do. Like playing a computer game.

So laptoop is all you need? You don't have any samplers or any other stuff?
    JZ: Not when I'm travelling. Only when I'm at home.

Since we had only 5 minutes this is all we could "get out" of JZ...
    We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."
  • northenstar
    Fresh Peossy
    • Jul 2004

Re: short interview - James Zabiela

Great post, has to be my favourite DJ at the moment, after years of listening to Sasha.

Comment

• brakada
      Gold Gabber
      • Jun 2004

Thank you very much , although I was hoping for some more "feedback"... :cry: :wink:
      We shall boldly dance, where no man has danced before..."

Comment

• Jenks
        I'm kind of a big deal.
        • Jun 2004

JZ: "sasha" ...."Sander Kleinenberg" ...etc...

name dropper imo.

Comment

• Morgan
          Platinum Poster
          • Jun 2004

School discos.
          "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• arielus
            He's back, in Pog form
            • Jun 2004

nice interview brakada

can't wait to see James playing on Creamfields here soon
            http://www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo
            http://www.facebook.com/hernancattaneo
            http://www.soundcloud.com/hernancattaneo

Comment

• supaz
              Platinum Poster
              • Jun 2004

I'd like to break out like he did...damn!

networking pays off!

Comment

• MUZIKMAG
                Fresh Peossy
                • Jun 2004

great interview...its interesting how he started off...and how eventually he became the ground-breaking dj...opening for big-name dj's...up until being the headliner for most of the events he spins at these days

Comment

• WindsorGuy
                  Fresh Peossy
                  • Sep 2004

can't wait to see james here in Windsor, Canada this upcoming sunday!

Comment

• Jibgolly
                    Vortexuralizor
                    • Jun 2004

bring back the groovetech archives jz. you had the best show!!

Comment

• Pataky P
                      asdf_imo
                      • Jun 2004

Thanks very much!!!!This is a great Interwiew..

Comment

• Obscura
                        Fresh Peossy
                        • Jun 2004

That's a good first post after comming back I would say. Nice interview you've managed to do there. I hope he will visit the Netherlands soon. After listening to his new album I would love to see him spin de decks live.
                        Playing at schoolparty's..hmmm...people want to hear rnb and pop. Not my thingy

Comment

• chato
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Jun 2004

interesting interview... always good to hear stuff from the best dj's
                          ...enjoy every single second

Comment

• dawnx
                            The Donator
                            • Jun 2004

I no I don't know him but the guy seems really genuine & pleasant.

Comment

Working...