X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 88Mariner
    My dick is smaller
    • Nov 2006

re: last month's thread on Oakenfold

not long ago I had made a studied claim that Oakenfold was back on form. and by this i mean after having listened to many of his live sets on XM, it sounded as if he was actually not being lazy behind the decks and choosing somewhat-related progressive tracks (although it still was overwhelmingly trance). And of course some general banter resumed about his abilities and so forth.

So, I'm now retracting my opinion and hope to inform you it was just a sham. His sets are now (and have been) tagged with "Live at Electric Daisy Festival" or "Live at Bombay" etc... to denote that these are mixes recorded live off the mixer at these festivals/clubs. Hard to argue on its face.

However, I've been reading more and more posts about hiw the sets he airs on XM are in fact pre-recorded, on the basis that those who have actually gone to these events report that not only did he not play some of the tracks on these mixes, but that, by default, was playing different tracks altogether. And on multiple occassions. This would leave any reasonable person to conclude that his allegedly 'live' mixes are in fact studio/laptop recorded and have no basis in reality apropos his abilities and skills. So, I'll just leave it at that and let you make your own conclusions.

Also, I thought his GOA mix was utter nonsense. There. I've said it. I'm gonna be that guy.
    you could put an Emfire release on for 2 minutes and you would be a sleep before it finishes - Chunky

it's RA. they'd blow their load all over some stupid 20 minute loop of a snare if it had a quirky flange setting. - Tiddles

Am I somewhere....in the corners of your mind....

----PEACE-----
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

Re: last month's thread on Oakenfold

The Goa-inspired Essential Mix? How is that utter nonsense?

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• lilsensa
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Dhar_2
        meat and potatoes
        • Jun 2004

^ oakie on the right and tongy on the left!

Comment

• jeffrey collins
          Not cool enough
          • Jun 2004

too tall for being pete tong.
          Jeffrey Collins: Painter
          My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
          My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Duff McKagin
            Gold Gabber
            • Sep 2004

jezzzzzzus chriiiist
            Fly? Yes. Land? No!

Comment

• feather
              Shanghai ooompa loompa
              • Jul 2004

That picture is way too big.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
              a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
              Originally posted by m1sT3rL
              Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• threehills
                I heart Lollergirl
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by 88Mariner
                However, I've been reading more and more posts about hiw the sets he airs on XM are in fact pre-recorded, on the basis that those who have actually gone to these events report that not only did he not play some of the tracks on these mixes, but that, by default, was playing different tracks altogether. And on multiple occassions. This would leave any reasonable person to conclude that his allegedly 'live' mixes are in fact studio/laptop recorded and have no basis in reality apropos his abilities and skills. So, I'll just leave it at that and let you make your own conclusions.
                But really, who cares....either you like the music or you don't....whether its live or studio, either you dig it or you don't. I'll still drink coke, even if its served in a pepsi bottle.
                Last edited by threehills; January 25, 2008, 09:37:34 PM.
                It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• simonr
                  Transitionator
                  • Jun 2004

I'm probably in the minority of liking his sets. But I listen to tons off music across many styles.
                  sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• floridaorange
                    I'm merely a humble butler
                    • Dec 2005

^can you recommend any livesets from the past couple years that are comparable to his '97-'01 sets.

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

• simonr
                      Transitionator
                      • Jun 2004

Although not live the Mumbai perfecto on Tour show was v good http://www.newmixes.com/paul_oakenfo...5-12-2007.html

and Dehli http://www.newmixes.com/paul_oakenfo...5-11-2007.html

and the Turnmills http://www.newmixes.com/paul_oakenfo...0-03-2007.html

the 2nd half of the one-live show was fantastic too http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2IB2D9LQ

Unfortunately the 2007 greatest hits UK tour doesn't seem to have been recorded - the Liverpool one was simply a night of annexe/courtyard classics from a time when no other dj in the world could destroy a room like him.

The Heineken Thirst Buenos Aires set is decent http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2Q1J78Q7 http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QDJGS9F9

and the Amsterdam Thirst show

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2S01AK3W
                      sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• floridaorange
                        I'm merely a humble butler
                        • Dec 2005

Simonr, Thanks brotha will definitely check all of these out, very much appreciated!

It was fun while it lasted...

Comment

Working...