X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superdave
    Platinum Poster
    • Jun 2004

Giuliani and Edwards are out

Now it comes down to a 2 dog(no offense Hillary) race on each side with Hillary and McCain the front runners. Don't count Mitt out though as I think McCain won Florida due to his positions on illegal immigration and being closer to the political center.

Will Edwards departure help Hillary or Obama? I'll guess Hillary, but let's see who he endorses or if his endorsement matters.
    Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte
  • Jenks
    I'm kind of a big deal.
    • Jun 2004

Re: Giuliani and Edwards are out

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by superdave
      Will Edwards departure help Hillary or Obama? I'll guess Hillary, but let's see who he endorses or if his endorsement matters.
      I don't think his endorsement makes that big of a difference because I, personally, just don't think people but too much stock in endorsements. It might have some effect, but I'm an Obama supporter and if Obama were to drop out of the race today and tell me to support Hillary, I'd probably say, "Look man, I've donated lots of my time and hard-earned money to your failed campaign -- think I'll decide who I support from this point myself, thanks."

I'm inclined to think Edwards supporters share more with Obama than with Clinton. Right off the bat, both Obama and Edwards benefit to some extent from the anti-Hillary sentiment that a lot of Democrats have. Also, notwithstanding that all three candidates market themselves of brokers of change, Edwards probably represented the largest change to the status quo in terms of policy of the three of them. I don't buy into Hillary being a serious departure from the status quo, so those Edwards voters that found his new ideas appealing would be more inclined to look to Obama as well.

My opinion, FWIW. Why do you think Edwards supporters would be more likely to break for Hillary?

Comment

• superdave
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by toasty
        Why do you think Edwards supporters would be more likely to break for Hillary?
        Not completely sure on this myself. I see Edwards as a more traditional candidate like Clinton, so it makes sense to me that she would get those voters. Not sure if his endorsement would make much difference because he's been a distant 3rd except for Iowa.
        Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

Not a bad point. We'll just have to see, I suppose.

On the initial question of who he endorses, I was listening to talk radio this morning, and according to "unnamed sources close to Edwards," it would be very unexpected for Edwards to endorse Clinton, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he'll endorse Obama instead. If he were to endorse Obama, I'd think Monday would be prime time to do it.

Comment

Working...