• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheMightyGreg
    Editor Shmeditor
    • Nov 2006

Most ridiculous thing I've heard this year

Dubai Brit Jailed for 4 Years For a Speck of Puff

Travellers to the United Arab Emirates were advised to apply ‘extreme caution’ this week after a 43 year old Brit was jailed for 4 years after cops detected a microscopic quantity of hashish stuck in the tread of his shoe.

“The amount of the drug found on his shoe (0.003 grams) would not be visible to the naked eye and weighs less than a single grain of sugar,” London’s Evening Standard reported, adding that Keith Brown had been arrested when passing through Dubai Airport in transit from Ethiopia to London.

Two more 20 something British travellers were arrested with small amounts of cocaine and cannabis at the Airport, local newspaper 7 Days reported this week, joining 31-year-old Big Brother executive Cat Le-Huy, who this week began his third week in custody after being stopped initially for carrying legal over-the-counter jet lag aid melatonin.

The Hampstead TV executive was reportedly seized at immigration arbitrarily, interrogated, strip-searched and urine tested before being asked to sign papers in Arabic which he couldn’t read.

Campaigning website TheTruthAboutDubai.org said airport officials are now holding him while they test tiny specks of dirt in his luggage, which they allege to be hashish. Friends of Cat said he’s struggling with prison food and isolation though otherwise ‘bearing up quite well’ and launched a campaign for his immediate release this week.

"It has been quite scary in that they initially said he would be held for 24 hours, then that was 48 hours, which became a week, and then they added a further two weeks,” Radha Stirling, from Cat’s UK based legal team told the Hampstead & Highgate Express newspaper.

"We are worried he will be held for three to six months without any charge or any hearing.”

The Arab Times meanwhile, reported this week that 19 French visitors have been jailed on drugs charges in Dubai in the last 18 months, with four picked up on New Years Day alone, adding weight to the stark warning issued by Cat’s partner designer Mildred Ho.

“The moral of this story is, no one is safe: If you go to Dubai, you are guilty until proven innocent under their unique little brand of sharia-lite laws,” she wrote on a Live Journal posting.

“DO NOT be fooled by their campaign of hearts and minds and their self appointed branding as some sort of open-minded oasis in the Middle East. Diz (Cat) is not alone: he is actually in the company of many other hapless victims who were singled out to make an example of. Do not think this could not happen to you. His story needs to get out so this does not happen to anyone else.

This is the message we need to get across: Dubai is not a safe tourist destination for Westerners.”

Whether Cat has so far met Grooverider in jail remains unclear though a ray of light emerged in the Arab Times this week, concerning the 19 French jailed in the last 18 months. Though 7 still have to go to trial, the Times reported that 11 of the 12 convicted French people have already been released, under pardons issued by Dubai’s rulers.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with this country
    Catch my bi-monthly show on UB Radio

http://www.ubradio.net/djs/greg-sawyer-99?sort=7
  • poults
    Platinum Poster
    • Nov 2006

Re: Most ridiculous thing I've heard this year

How vigorous was the search if it wasnt visible to the naked eye? I cant understand why they would even bother with all the hassle for 0.003g of hash, its not even gonna get an ant high for fucks sake.
    Originally posted by Hoff

ejejejejejejejejeje!!!!! you always delivering some good dogs shits !!! thankyou

Comment

• Dhar_2
      meat and potatoes
      • Jun 2004

talk about over the top!

Comment

• nick007
        DUDERZ get a life!!!
        • Oct 2007

Your heading says it all

The largest room in the world, is the room for improvement!

Comment

• feather
          Shanghai ooompa loompa
          • Jul 2004

joining 31-year-old Big Brother executive Cat Le-Huy, who this week began his third week in custody after being stopped initially for carrying legal over-the-counter jet lag aid melatonin.
          Read about that, now THAT is fucked. Not only did they hold him up for a legal, over-the-counter drug (also legal in Dubai), they wanted to analyse some dirt or whatever because it was assumed to be hash too. WTF. Makes Singapore a paradise.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
          a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
          Originally posted by m1sT3rL
          Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Morgan
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Now THATS what I call airport security. TSU take note.
            "Pain is only weakness leaving the body."

Comment

• rainman
              Platinum Poster
              • Dec 2005

saw this on digg this morning. WTF??

Comment

• chanty
                John, John, where art thou!
                • Jun 2004

That's just crazy and doesn't make me want to go there.
                Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• Mr.Big
                  Platinum Poster
                  • Nov 2004

Funny story, my cousin went over to see his girlfriend in San Francisco and was stopped by customs at the Airport. They looked in his wallet and found tiny crumbs of hash (barely visible). They proceeded to strip search him, handcuff him to a bench for 8 hours and then sent him to County Jail for 1 1/2 days before sending him on a flight back home. He Obviously didn't see the crumbs but i think what happaned to him is abit extreme. As far as i know he is banned from entering the states now..

Moral of the story is check your wallet for illegal shit before you hit customs..
                  www.twitter.com/mikeoreilly
                  Pimps up Hoes down.

Comment

• miketpoto
                    Shabisquik The Ghetto Queen
                    • Jan 2005

yay islam!

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
                      Editor Shmeditor
                      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Mr.Big

Moral of the story is check your wallet for illegal shit before you hit customs..

Unfortunately in this case, moral of the story seems to be scrape the soles of your shoes before you go through customs in case you've stepped in something innappropriate, or better still take nothing with you at all, as they'll probably bust you for carrying something perfectly legal, then raid your arsehole for good measure to check you haven't got a copy of FHM stashed up there

Comment

• thesightless
                        Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by miketpoto
                        yay islam!

amen to the christian god!
                        your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                        download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• TheMightyGreg
                          Editor Shmeditor
                          • Nov 2006

^ What the hell do you know, freshie

Comment

• hypoluxxa
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by thesightless
                            amen to the christian god!
                            look noob, show some respect! Next thing you know you'll start a "why can't I download thread"

How are you Sean? what happened to your 10,000 posts?

Comment

• thesightless
                              Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
                              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by hypoluxxa
                              look noob, show some respect! Next thing you know you'll start a "why can't I download thread"

How are you Sean? what happened to your 10,000 posts?

jenks, pickle, etc etc etc/

i have no respect.

but in lines with the most ridiculous thing i have heard is two fold.

1. i heard a black man say that GW2 had the cure for AIDS and wanted to keep blacks down

2. a muslim at my office verified amenijihad's line of "there are no homosexuals in iran", by furthering it saying there are no homo's in the middle east, but turkey has some that will be forced out soon eneough....

those two things made me realize the stupidity of the human problem.
                              your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
                              download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

Working...