X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shpira
    Angry Boy Child
    • Oct 2006

Static Electricity problem?

I just bought a set of decks (cdj 200) with a djm 600 mixer.

I got it all set up in my bedroom in a metal flight case with padding on the side. Its one of those flight cases from which you can play without taking anything out. I hooked it up to some speakers and everything works fine but if i touch the equipment after leaving it on for like 10 minutes I get a small electric shock?
    I was wondering if anyone knew why this was and how I could solve this problem? Also can this cause some circuits to fry or any damage to the equipment?

Thanks for your reply.

The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
    Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX
  • KinKyJ
    Platinum Poser
    • Jun 2004

Re: Static Electricity problem?

Static electricity can cause damage to electronic circuits yes. Not in all cases, but I know that for instance a lot of IT'ers or technicians working on PLC's take measures to prevent static electricity.

Why are you getting shocks?

Rotating parts in your set up will cause a build up of an electric load that can't be discharged. As soon as you touch the metal, you'll become the conductor and the electricity will discharge trough you.

How can you prevent it?

One way is to boost up the relative humidity in your room to 65% (leave a pan of water on the radiator for instance). This will improve the conductivity of the air and will prevent the build up of charges.

Or you can connect a copper wire from the casing/equipment to the ground, creating an equipotential bonding. This way you'll have a continuous discharge of electricity.

What is the floor made of btw? On what did you mount your shit?

Comment

• Shpira
      Angry Boy Child
      • Oct 2006

The flooring is wood and the case is on top of a wooden set of drawers..
      I was thinking about connecting a wire as you say to ground the equipment but I don't know what to connect the other end to i.e. the wooden floor won't help much...lol
      And I am in a flat not a house so i can't really ground it myself.

The humidity is something I didn't think of to be honest but thats more of a temporary solution really.

i don't know you seem to know a fair bit about this.
      What would you do?
      Thanks for the advice by the way!
      The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
      Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Miroslav
        WHOA I can change this!1!
        • Apr 2006

I dunno much about this, but I presume you've already properly grounded your decks to the mixer when you hooked everything up...
        mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• psylucas911
          Getting Somewhere
          • Apr 2007

dig a cooper bar outside your home, its gotta ve 1 meter long or more, then make a 3 hole input and plug the wire from the cooper wire in the rounded hole, and plug your sound system in on of those regular voltage stabilizators with 4 holes or more, like a NO Break. and tcharam! no static!
          www.myspace.com/lucaskoenigg

Comment

• Shpira
            Angry Boy Child
            • Oct 2006

That would be interesting...
            I live in London in an apartment building on the second floor.
            I wonder what the neighbors would say if they saw a wire coming down from my window and me drilling a hole in the pavement...lol
            The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Shpira
              Angry Boy Child
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Miroslav
              I dunno much about this, but I presume you've already properly grounded your decks to the mixer when you hooked everything up...

well I am pretty sure i did and everything works fine.
              maybe if I took the equipment out of the box?
              Do you guys think that would help at all?
              The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• AntonyM
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Oct 2004

I would agree with making a ground probably the simplest solution without taking anything apart.
                Originally posted by Shpira
                So came back last night...
                Sven Vath was amazing...he played a god damn killer set...ended up going to that and came to at like 10 am in some whore house in south Amsterdam...no idea how I ended up there...friday was a bit of a blur got really drunk and visited several parties can't remember a whole lot to be honest hehe...saturday was probably the best day that I recall...started up in the nearest coffee shop and going from party to party...beautiful woman, beer and weed...finished the night by taking some shrooms and listening to an amazing elke kleijn set...sunday...i met a nice girl who worked at one of the coffee shops and ended up talking to her for like 6 hours...was supposed to meet her at some DnB party...but instead went for a steak and walked around red light district bars drinking and smoking...monday took it easy went to a coffee shop and took a taxi to airport....

All in all...I think I will be going back there some time soon
                Originally posted by Illuminate
                Let me get this straight.

So white-middle class Americans have been told by their Television sets to be fearful of:

1. Mexicans/Latinos from the South bringing drugs and killings n' shit.
                2. African Americans cause mos def they are raging a race war and want to occupy America like how the plebs occupied Wall St.
                3. Iranians/Afghans/Any one of middle eastern origin to be quite frank, cause you know Islam...
                4. North Koreans/Chinese cause you know everything...

Am I close here?

Comment

• feather
                  Shanghai ooompa loompa
                  • Jul 2004

Is it actually static or could eletricity be I don't know, leaking from the equipment ... Those are CD decks, I wouldn't think they're that prone to accumulating static charges.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                  a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                  Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                  Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• Shpira
                    Angry Boy Child
                    • Oct 2006

I think that my whole building may have just bad wiring and because the decks/mixer are made (predominantly) of metal it just shows more. I don't know...I'll try and figure out how to ground them...I have a fuse on the plug so I think that should protect them from a power surge.
                    The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• KinKyJ
                      Platinum Poser
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by feather
                      Is it actually static or could eletricity be I don't know, leaking from the equipment ... Those are CD decks, I wouldn't think they're that prone to accumulating static charges.
                      That could be the deal too: faulty wiring somewhere in the system causing a leak. The quality of the wiring in your building doesn't cause this.

Maybe you should take your gear out of the box and see which component causes the discharges.

And indeed, the fuse will only protect against surges. Don't you have a ground pin in your power outlet btw?

Comment

• Dhar_2
                        meat and potatoes
                        • Jun 2004

^ if he is in london he will be using the 3 pin uk plug so there will be an earth.

its sounds more like the copper wire grounding of the gear. probably because its in the flight case. just need to ground that and u will be fine. nothing too traumatic.

Comment

Working...