X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

2008 Dem Nomination

Well, we're well into the primary season now -- anyone have any thoughts at this point?

I've noticed that since New Hampshire, the pundits have done a lot more observing and a lot less predicting. National Journal, which dutifully offered predictions and rankings starting about this time last year, hasn't updated their predictions since right after New Hampshire:

National Journal is a research and advisory services company based in Washington, D.C. offering services in government affairs.

Definite trend -- there are still folks out there offering their predictions on what will happen, but they tend to be heavily qualified opinions, and are greatly outnumbered by articles who ultimately conclude, "Well, it will be interesting to see how this ultimately turns out."

On a different note, I'm curious to see if Obama can turn these wins and momentum into a knockout blow. There's a very good chance that Clinton could lose every remaining contest in February. Traditional wisdom would suggest that it will be impossible for a candidate to weather that and still do well in subsequent contests in Texas, Ohio & Pennsylvania, but very little has followed traditional wisdom this cycle. Every time Clinton seems to be on the ropes, she seems to capitalize on her role as underdog and turn it into a win. Very frustrating.

The good news, from my standpoint, is that as this becomes more and more a race for delegates, Obama continuing to win -- and doing so in wide margins -- should ensure that he has a delegate lead, including superdelegates, by the time Ohio and Texas roll around. Even if she wins those contests, he ought to be close enough that they more or less split delegates, preserving his lead. Who knows, though -- long ways from over...
  • Huggie Smiles
    Anyone have Styx livesets?
    • Jun 2004

Re: 2008 Dem Nomination

unless Obama really obliterates the next couple (as you mentioned) -and I hope he does; I think Hillary will win the long innings. Not cos shes better, but just that she has many season'd campaigners advising her, my guess is her campaign will play a better game over the extended period.
    ....Freak in the morning, Freak in the evening, aint no other Freak like me thats breathing....

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by toasty
      The good news, from my standpoint, is that as this becomes more and more a race for delegates, Obama continuing to win -- and doing so in wide margins -- should ensure that he has a delegate lead, including superdelegates, by the time Ohio and Texas roll around. Even if she wins those contests, he ought to be close enough that they more or less split delegates, preserving his lead. Who knows, though -- long ways from over...
      Saw something interesting on CNN this morning -- they ran projections of the contests going forward, and assuming things stand more or less as they do right now, where they more or less split the vote with both Clinton and Obama taking delegates from each race, it is mathematically impossible for either candidate to amass 2025 delegates on their own, without the assistance of superdelegates, before the convention. Even if Obama were to win by the margins he's been winning by over the last week, i.e., 2:1, they'd end up deadlocked. Looks like the superdelegates really will decide the nomination, so getting these folks on board is going to be key.

I have trouble envisioning a situation, though, where the superdelegates decide it for the candidate that does not have the most pledged delegates. After all of the hopping up and down about Gore winning the popular vote and losing the presidency, the Dems would look awfully silly if they let something like that happen in their own election. Doesn't mean it won't happen, of course -- the Clintons have a lot of pull, for sure -- I just think it's unlikely.

Thoughts?

Comment

• superdave
        Platinum Poster
        • Jun 2004

Obama really has the momentum now, but it does look like it'll come down to the super delegates. If they are too close to call a winner before the convention, they'll have to decide who would be the best candidate for the party and who stacks up best against McCain.
        Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake - Napoleon Bonaparte

Comment

Working...