• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FM
    Wooooooo!
    • Jun 2004

More Foreclosure Bullshit - "Project Lifeline"

oh well at least it's aptly titled...

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Six top mortgage companies on Tuesday launched a program aimed at staving off foreclosure for seriously delinquent borrowers in the hopes that new, more affordable loan terms can be worked out.

"Project Lifeline," backed by the U.S. Treasury and the Department of Housing and Urban Development, would pause foreclosure proceedings for borrowers more than 90 days in arrears while servicers determine whether they could make payments under new terms, the six firms said in a statement.

The effort would cover all types of home loans, including home equity loans and second liens, unlike an earlier plan aimed at freezing interest rates for subprime mortgage holders who cannot afford payments that reset to higher levels.

"These are homeowners on the brink of losing their homes," Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson said. "Every one we save will make a difference. If someone is willing to make a call to reach out, there's a chance we can save their homes."

Democratic lawmakers said the effort did not go far enough to help borrowers stuck with mortgages they cannot afford.

"This plan, while a step in the right direction, will not stem the tide of the millions of foreclosures we are facing in the coming months," said Illinois Sen. Richard Durbin, a member of the Democratic leadership.

The plan unveiled Tuesday is being undertaken by six mortgage lenders that service about 50 percent of U.S. mortgages -- Bank of America , JPMorgan Chase & Co , Citigroup , Countrywide Financial , Washington Mutual and Wells Fargo .

All are members of the Hope Now alliance of lenders, servicers and investors that had agreed to the Treasury-brokered rate-freeze plan in December.

'THE WORST ISN'T OVER'
    Economists warn that the deep U.S housing slump has pushed the economy to the edge of recession, if not over it. Last year, prices for existing U.S. homes fell for the first time since the Great Depression while sales volume collapsed.

With home values stagnant or falling, a rising number of Americans are finding it difficult to refinance out of mortgages they cannot afford.

An estimated 1.5 million subprime mortgages, which traditionally are targeted at borrowers with spotty credit, will reset to higher rates this year, putting more owners at risk. Another 500,000 reset in 2009.

"In terms of subprime and the resets, the worst isn't over, the worst is just beginning," Paulson said.

Under the new program, lenders will contact delinquent homeowners to offer assistance to modify their loans. Floyd Robinson, the head of consumer real estate at Bank of America, said in some instances his institution would be willing to forgive a portion of the mortgage by refinancing for a smaller loan amount if an owner owes more than the home is worth.

"We will look at each individual circumstance, homeowner to homeowner," he said.
    Homeowners who are already in active bankruptcy or face a foreclosure sale in less than 30 days will not qualify for a pause in the foreclosure process, nor will vacant homes and investment properties.

EFFECTIVENESS QUESTIONED
    Analysts at Barclays Capital said the program would likely help only a small share of distressed borrowers. "We have reservations as to whether 30 days is long enough to determine if loan modifications will help borrowers currently 90+ days delinquent," they wrote.

William Longbrake, an executive with Washington Mutual, said individual loan servicers could have been making the same efforts all along and that Washington Mutual frequently put a freeze on foreclosure action. "What's different is that this is collective. This is coordinated," he said.

Paulson, who said he was urging all servicers to join the program, defended the effort and said a broad plan for a government fund to buy up distressed mortgages was not needed. Sen. Christopher Dodd, a Connecticut Democrat who chairs the Senate Banking Committee, has proposed such a plan.

"The president made the decision we would focus on (private) programs like this," Paulson said.
    FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
    "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
    Facebook!
    A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.
  • runningman
    Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
    • Jun 2004

Re: More Foreclosure Bullshit - "Project Lifeline"

should be callled project 90 days

Comment

• thesightless
      Someone will marry me. Hell Yeah!
      • Jun 2004

should be called "" bill clinton allowed you to get into these homes because democrats honestly beleive everyone is equally entitled to everything, so dont vote for hillary, OK?"

housing was down, they needed a quick solution, and poor people bought houses in areas they shouldnt. face it, some people, shouldnt be allowed to own a home worth 400K plus, if they live in the hood earning 36K a year.

the only solution is to tell poor people they cant afford the house, and apartments are the way to go. i do it all the time when i see a file of a garbage man in north carolina trying to buy a 330K home......
      your life is an occasion, rise to it.

Join My Chant. new mix. april 09. dirty fuck house.
      download that. deep shit listed there

my dick is its own superhero.

Comment

• algy
        Gold Gabber
        • Jun 2004

This is a very frustrating topic for those of us that choose to live within our own means and are fiscally responsible. The democrats are promising relief to the masses that are NOT victims, but participants to this scheme of financial greed. Yes, the lenders were on a bidding spree of granting subprime loans to individuals that had a credit score equivalent to their IQ, but they assumed the risk and the buyer knew the numbers.

The purpose of a subprime mortgage is to provide loans to borrowers who do not qualify for the best interest rates and the practice is both risky yet lucrative. The way I see it, they took the risk, let them bite the bullet. What’s next, federal bail out for gamblers in Vegas? Had this all worked out and somehow the subprime mortgage crisis was avoided, there would be a shit load of wealthy lenders and banks, and the burden of inflated home prices would be carried by those who truly qualified for the homes.

However, this is not the case, the system experienced a meltdown and now buyers feel they were done wrong and feel entitled to a bailout, but where is the bailout to those whom are responsible? When these banks started tossing subprimes loans out to everyone, they fashioned various financial packages to Wall Street so that investors were backing these risk loans and unknowingly. Many of us felt this when the market tanked and the fallout in money reciprocated up to our investments.

Where’s my bailout, I lost money in my 401K and investments, and now I’m suppose to pay taxes to bailout these banks that based their business around predatory practices and the incompetent who purchased homes well out of their pay grade?
        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        "Too much love making, makes for poor match play." - Algy

Comment

• Miroslav
          WHOA I can change this!1!
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by algy
          What’s next, federal bail out for gamblers in Vegas?

If the gamblers in Vegas managed to have losses of such sheer magnitude that the ripple effects threatened to bring the whole economy down - and also many international economies with it - then yes, there would absolutely be a federal bail-out of gamblers in Vegas. I completely agree in principle with everything you say, but when the ship you're sailing on gets a large enough hole in the hull, you don't sit back and let the incompetent sailor(s) learn their lesson; you try do something quick so that you all don't sink. And that's what is happening now with lowering of interest rates, bailing some people out, injecting companies with cash, etc.

The other thing I'll say is that it's the financial institutions, not the subprime mortgage holders, own the vast majority of the blame for this. To maintain good economic health, you can't just rely on the fiscal prudence of some low income/low IQ yahoo out there. If you as a "professional" repeatedly extend a whole lot of credit to these morons and aggressively sell them on what a good/safe/easy idea it is, then they're probably going to end up taking it. That's just a simple fact.

The real point is that you shouldn't give a low income/low IQ yahoo access to massive sums of easy credit.

And the reason they got that credit is because the financial institutions got carried away with their greed. The banks sold not just those poor people,but also the rest of the entire community on the notion that the risk would be manageable if they pooled the mortgages, securitized them, and sold them to all kinds of institutional investors. And they passed those things off as investment grade rated when they fundamentally weren't. They are the ones who really deserve the blame in all of this (and many of them will ultimately get "bailed out" to some extent, too!).
          mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• toasty
            Sir Toastiness
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Miroslav
            If the gamblers in Vegas managed to have losses of such sheer magnitude that the ripple effects threatened to bring the whole economy down - and also many international economies with it - then yes, there would absolutely be a federal bail-out of gamblers in Vegas.
            That's really the key, I think. I am not a fan of government handouts in the abstract, but when something reaches a point where it has broader effects on the economy as a whole, it's probably a good idea to step in and do something about it.

Comment

• algy
              Gold Gabber
              • Jun 2004

This bail out practice does nothing but reinforce the ideal of entitlement to self indulgence and greed without having to observer risk or punishment. Furthermore, I don't feel that the total cost or value of what a home is financed should be seen for face value, which is what the lenders are trying to re-coop. If it wasn't for their impulsive greed and poor decision making, the rate of inflation of homes would not have accelerated as they did, keeping in mind homes typically increase in value at a rate of 3% a year, not 200% in 5 months. Why should the lender be re-cooped the value of the loan for a home that now has lost significant value especially since the vacuum of demand has diminished?

If there is to be any solution, there are legitimate cases of financial hardship which should be observed by the lender and government. Speaking from my observations, I’ll target those who were financially stable and purchased a 2nd and 3rd home on an interest only loan in effort to flip them for profit. Should they be bailed out too? I feel that in most scenarios, these homes can be sold at a reasonable value by the lender “Short Sale, Foreclosure Action, etc..” at the current value and make the original buyer pay the difference lost by the bank. The feds have done well to drop rates low enough were this is a doable solution.

Originally posted by Miroslav
              And the reason they got that credit is because the financial institutions got carried away with their greed. The banks sold not just those poor people, but also the rest of the entire community on the notion that the risk would be manageable if they pooled the mortgages, securitized them, and sold them to all kinds of institutional investors. And they passed those things off as investment grade rated when they fundamentally weren't.
              Exactly…what was done was the lenders became holders of dept subject to risk and compounded additional dept by issuing “Improperly Researched and Fraudulently Forged” credit and eligibility to force loans through to the unqualified, not just the lower income, but people with money that had personal property and/or retirement funds that could be procured if the loan were to fault. With that much risk, “Debt”, who and how did these speculative grade bonds get ranked to investment grade bonds? These folks should be doing some jail time.
              =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
              "Too much love making, makes for poor match play." - Algy

Comment

• Jenks
                I'm kind of a big deal.
                • Jun 2004

i know it's not right, and i agree with all the previous statements in this thread, but the housing crisis directly affects my business. so whatever it takes to get people buying property again, investing in property again, rehabbing property again- i really don't care who has to pay for it, just get it done.

Comment

Working...