X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilsensa
    DUDERZ get a life!!!
    • Jun 2004

Help!! New cat Help.

I just adopted another cat. She is 1 year old and very under nourished ...My old cat hates that I brought a new cat home..I only got her to keep my old cat company as she seemed lonely..My old cat hates me right now, she usually loves all over me, but she is growling and threatening the new cat..How can I make this a positive experience??
    I love my cat but I feel like I betrayed her by bringing this new cat into our house...What do I do??
    Right now I'm afraid to let the new cat out of the cage...
    RIP ~ Steve James

• chanty
    John, John, where art thou!
    • Jun 2004

Re: Help!! New cat Help.

I've always let the cats do their thing. There's always alot of growling and hissing going on but they need to figure out who's boss. It gets better after a couple of days and they'll be buds. Just give your old cat some extra attention to let them know they're still special! Good for you for adopting a kitty!
    Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• lilsensa
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Jun 2004

The new one still has stitches from being spayed..I'm afraid to let her out of her cage because my cat is being very aggressive..I'm afraid to rush things with the new cat and at the same time, I'm trying to make my old cat know that she isn't being replaced..It's tough and I feel like the bad guy.
      RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Jibgolly
        Vortexuralizor
        • Jun 2004

buy the old cat a twelve pack of Miller Lite, and get the younger cat a Go Phone with unlimited Text messaging.

Comment

• chanty
          • Jun 2004

Yeah, I've always felt very protective about my cats when I bring a new one home. Do you have a room you can let your new kitty out in? Just keep her in a seperate room for a few days until she heals and then let them at it. It sounds worse than it is when you hear them hissing and screaming, trust me. I've thought all hell had broken loose and there were just a few tufts of fur flying around.
          Good luck and keep us posted.
          Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• Kamal
            Administrator
            • May 2002

Originally posted by Jibgolly
            buy the old cat a twelve pack of Miller Lite, and get the younger cat a Go Phone with unlimited Text messaging.

but honestly, that is one of the reasons I am uncomfortable around cats, with me, they always seem to be unpredictable and fiercely aggressive. If I were you, I wouldn't let the younger cat in front of the older one until the younger grows up/builds enough strength to defend her/himself
            www.mjwebhosting.com

Jib says:
            he isnt worth the water that splashes up into your asshole while you're shitting
            Originally posted by ace_dl
            Guys and Gals, I have to hurry/leaving for short-term vacations.
            I won't be back until next Tuesday, so if Get Carter is the correct answer, I would appreciate of someone else posts a new cap for me

Comment

• chanty
              • Jun 2004

I wouldn't keep them apart for too long. They need to get to know each other and figure out who's boss.

Keeping the new cat in a quiet, separate room is especially important if there are other cats in the house. The other cats will quickly become aware of your new cat's presence. The cats will usually sniff at each other under the closed door. Do not be surprised if there is some initial hissing. Help the cats get used to each other's scent by rubbing a towel over each of them in turn. Feeding them on either side of the door that closes off the room the new cat is in is also helpful. They will start associating the smell of the other cat with a good thing (food). After a few days, take the new cat out of its room, put the old cat in that room with the door closed, and let the new cat begin to explore the rest of the house for a few hours each evening.
              The next step is to let the cats see each other, yet still keep them separated. An old screen door or a piece of Plexiglas works well for this. Another option is to prop open the door of the new cat's room, just enough so that the cats can see each other and put a paw through, but not enough that they can get through the door. After a few days of this, try feeding the cats together, but at opposite ends of the room. Monitor the cats during this time, and separate them except at mealtime. Each day, move the food dishes very slightly closer to each other, until the cats are eating side by side. The idea is for the cats to associate each other with the pleasant experience of eating. It is not unusual to hear occasional hissing, but this should decrease as the days go by. If things do not seem to be improving, try decreasing their interaction for a few days.
              Once the cats seem comfortable with each other, you can move on to the final step. Open the door all the way, allowing the cats to come and go as they please. Monitor them closely, in case they fight. Do not leave them alone for any length of time until you are sure they will get along well. Make sure there is at least one litter box per cat. This helps to prevent a more dominant cat from stalking the other and keeping him from using the litter box.

I've never done all that^^ but it may help you out.

Comment

• threehills
                I heart Lollergirl
                • Jun 2005

^ I did the above for my two cats and it totally worked. They get along quite well now....well most of the time anyways. Those steps should be done over the course of several weeks. At least two. The more gradual it is, the better the cats will adjust.
                It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• lilsensa
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by chanty
                  I wouldn't keep them apart for too long. They need to get to know each other and figure out who's boss.

Keeping the new cat in a quiet, separate room is especially important if there are other cats in the house. The other cats will quickly become aware of your new cat's presence. The cats will usually sniff at each other under the closed door. Do not be surprised if there is some initial hissing. Help the cats get used to each other's scent by rubbing a towel over each of them in turn. Feeding them on either side of the door that closes off the room the new cat is in is also helpful. They will start associating the smell of the other cat with a good thing (food). After a few days, take the new cat out of its room, put the old cat in that room with the door closed, and let the new cat begin to explore the rest of the house for a few hours each evening.
                  The next step is to let the cats see each other, yet still keep them separated. An old screen door or a piece of Plexiglas works well for this. Another option is to prop open the door of the new cat's room, just enough so that the cats can see each other and put a paw through, but not enough that they can get through the door. After a few days of this, try feeding the cats together, but at opposite ends of the room. Monitor the cats during this time, and separate them except at mealtime. Each day, move the food dishes very slightly closer to each other, until the cats are eating side by side. The idea is for the cats to associate each other with the pleasant experience of eating. It is not unusual to hear occasional hissing, but this should decrease as the days go by. If things do not seem to be improving, try decreasing their interaction for a few days.
                  Once the cats seem comfortable with each other, you can move on to the final step. Open the door all the way, allowing the cats to come and go as they please. Monitor them closely, in case they fight. Do not leave them alone for any length of time until you are sure they will get along well. Make sure there is at least one litter box per cat. This helps to prevent a more dominant cat from stalking the other and keeping him from using the litter box.

I've never done all that^^ but it may help you out.
                  Kick ass advice, Chanty! Thanks.

Here are a couple of pictures I took of her.

RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• DancingQueen
                    AVB FanClub | President
                    • Oct 2005

Awe she is gorgeous!

When I introduced a new cat to my older one (2 at the time and a very new little kitten) they fought it out...the older cat HATED the new one,but after a week or so, they sorted it out
                    sigpic
                    RIP Steve "Jibs" James - Your footprint is forever on my soul and in my heart xoxo
                    RIP Jeff Shewchuk aka DJ Jeff Taylor (day_for_night) - You will live on in my heart forever xoxo

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Comment

• simonr
                      Transitionator
                      • Jun 2004

Cute !
                      sigpicSimonR

This release was mastered direct from vinyl at the request of the DJ and as such features natural sound characteristics of this medium such as record surface noise.

Comment

• Garrick
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

cute cat, man. when i've had other cats come over that i've taken care of for friends (twice both for a couple weeks) my cat usually hates the other cat at first and hisses, swats and all that shit. after a few days my cat usualy gives in and accepts the other one. hopefully the same happens for you.

chanty's advice is really good. associate them with each other slowly.
                        Should I fuck you at that not until the ass, inject then tremendously hard bumschen and to the termination in the eyes yes?

Comment

• sakio pod
                          SALAD TOSSER
                          • Jun 2004

D throw them in the same room and lock them up over night

Comment

• rainman
                            Platinum Poster
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jibgolly
                            spot on

put them both in a burlap bag, they'll work out their differences

Comment

• Steve Graham
                              DJ Jelly
                              • Jun 2004

update?

animals are very resilient and can normally sort stuff out themselves as long as the initial introduction is handled in a way that the resident cat/dog or whatever isnt made to feel like the new pet is encroaching on their territory, and to be honest they are typically more concerned over looking out for YOU their owner (more so for dogs i guess) but you get my point

there will typically be some animosity until one establishes who's the boss so to speak.

Comment

Working...