X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • feather
    Shanghai ooompa loompa
    • Jul 2004

NIN - Ghosts I-IV

You guys know about this? The samples on the website sound pretty cool.

Nine Inch Nails presents Ghosts I - IV, a brand new 36 track instrumental collection available right now. Almost two hours of new music composed and recorded over an intense ten week period last fall, Ghosts I - IV sprawls Nine Inch Nails across a variety of new terrain.

Trent Reznor explains, "I've been considering and wanting to make this kind of record for years, but by its very nature it wouldn't have made sense until this point. This collection of music is the result of working from a very visual perspective - dressing imagined locations and scenarios with sound and texture; a soundtrack for daydreams. I'm very pleased with the result and the ability to present it directly to you without interference. I hope you enjoy the first four volumes of Ghosts."

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.
  • threehills
    I heart Lollergirl
    • Jun 2005

Re: NIN - Ghosts I-IV

I listened to the samples on the site and thought they were hit or miss. The first one, not my style, but the second was pretty sweet. Made me think of that Outkast line "like piano playing softly in the dark" It was good to hear some different sounds from them, but some of the tracks are still vintage NIN sounding despite being instrumental.
    It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

• toasty
      Sir Toastiness
      • Jun 2004

I'm listening to Ghosts I right this very moment, just d/l'ed it last night. I've always been much more of a fan of the musical component of NIN than Reznor's vocals, so this is right up my alley. Not ideal for all circumstances, but for certain settings, it will be just what the doctor ordered.

I think it would be perfect for a late, dark flight home after a long week, sipping a glass of wine. I actually have such a situation coming up soon, very much looking forward to trying it out.

Comment

• hypoluxxa
        Are you Kidding me??
        • Jun 2004

Will have to check this out. I heard about this on the radio this morning. It's been a long time since I saw him open up for The Jesus ans Mary Chain...

Comment

• toasty
          Sir Toastiness
          • Jun 2004

great price, too: $5 for direct download from the site, or it's being freely distributed on the torrent sites, with Reznor's blessing and encouragement.

Comment

• the sun the sea
            Platinum Poster
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by hypoluxxa
            Will have to check this out. I heard about this on the radio this morning. It's been a long time since I saw him open up for The Jesus ans Mary Chain...
            i think he also opened up for Love & Rockets back in the day.
            download dj sets at: www.mixwalla.com

Comment

• toasty
              Sir Toastiness
              • Jun 2004

got the other 3 segments last night, listening right now. Gotta say, I'm a big fan the more I listen to it. I always thought Trent Reznor was an absolute genius from a musical standpoint. The only "problem" (and that's a really strong word in this context) I ever had with NIN was that the lyrics were filled with angst, both in their content and their delivery. To be totally honest, I've been very fortunate in my life, and I'm not really filled with anger, hopelessness, rage, sorrow, etc., so I just couldn't relate and as I got older, it became harder to overlook that component of it.

This is great, though -- still musically creative and brilliant, still edgy, still aggressive, still unquestionably NIN, minus the totally irrelevant lyrics.

It's not a masterpiece -- there's definitely some experimentation going on (sorta reminds me a bit of Richard James, where he'd do a stream of consciousness recording session and just release the whole thing), and not all of it works for me. Way more hits than misses, though...

Comment

• ddr
                DUDERZ get a life!!!
                • Jun 2004

Originally posted by toasty
                got the other 3 segments last night, listening right now. Gotta say, I'm a big fan the more I listen to it. I always thought Trent Reznor was an absolute genius from a musical standpoint. The only "problem" (and that's a really strong word in this context) I ever had with NIN was that the lyrics were filled with angst, both in their content and their delivery. To be totally honest, I've been very fortunate in my life, and I'm not really filled with anger, hopelessness, rage, sorrow, etc., so I just couldn't relate and as I got older, it became harder to overlook that component of it.

This is great, though -- still musically creative and brilliant, still edgy, still aggressive, still unquestionably NIN, minus the totally irrelevant lyrics.

It's not a masterpiece -- there's definitely some experimentation going on (sorta reminds me a bit of Richard James, where he'd do a stream of consciousness recording session and just release the whole thing), and not all of it works for me. Way more hits than misses, though...
                ditto that.

i listened to about half of it yesterday night and i love every track on there...

the only gripe i have is that i wish some of the tracks went on for longer... too many small 2-3 minute tracks imo.
                "pics or stfu" - R.I.P. Steve "Jibgolly" James

Comment

• GerryD
                  I love skanking
                  • Jun 2004

Just finished D/L this will give it a listen after Flyers game
                  "We're professional entertainers. You give us money, we entertain you.

Comment

• feather
                    Shanghai ooompa loompa
                    • Jul 2004

Playing Ghost I in the office right now. Wicked, hope the rest of it is equally textured and varied. Did you guys get the torrent with the wallpapers and sleeve notes in PDF? The PDF is beautiful. Each mp3 came with the track graphic encoded as well. AWESOME.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
                    a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                    Originally posted by m1sT3rL
                    Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• toasty
                      Sir Toastiness
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by feather
                      Did you guys get the torrent with the wallpapers and sleeve notes in PDF? The PDF is beautiful. Each mp3 came with the track graphic encoded as well. AWESOME.
                      I did, but I hadn't looked at it until you mentioned it. Glad I did -- very, very cool...

Comment

• rainman
                        Platinum Poster
                        • Dec 2005

saw on pirate bay last night, can't wait to get back home and dl.

was a huge nails fan back in the day, but haven't listened to much since the downward spiral. left that part of me back in '95, but really wanting to check this out.

Comment

• audiotherapy
                          Addiction started
                          • Jun 2004

is it like the audio tracks on Quake CD? I'll chk it out afterwork

Comment

• solidify
                            Getting Somewhere
                            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by toasty

I Agree 100%!!! Get this! Come on 5 bucks, its almost stealing!!
                            Reason holds the helm, but passions are the gales.

Comment

• shosh
                              Banned
                              • Jun 2004

its now free
                              As a thank you to our fans for your continued support, we are giving away the new nine inch nails album one hundred percent free, exclusively via nin.com.
                              the music is available in a variety of formats including high-quality MP3, FLAC or M4A lossless at CD quality and even higher-than-CD quality 24/96 WAVE. your link will include all options - all free. all downloads include a PDF with artwork and credits.
                              for those of you interested in physical products, fear not. we plan to make a version of this release available on CD and vinyl in july. details coming soon.

Comment

Working...