X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Homegrove
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Jun 2004

DJing DJeing drunk of your arse

I usually try and start my sets sober, I'm usually drinking all the way through but I always start sober.

Couple of weeks ago I played a small basement party where pretty much everyone was somebody I knew and ended up drinking a bit too much before hitting the decks.

Felt I played the shittest gig ever afterwards, couldn't also remember anything I'd played after the first track the next day...

Now I finally had the courage to listen to the set (I record every gig) and it's not bad actually... Apart from a few dodgy mixes even they aren't downright trainwrecks.

Any experiences?
    Forward thinking house music
  • Steve Graham
    DJ Jelly
    • Jun 2004

Re: DJeing drunk of your arse

try it after some K, listen to THAT recording, lol

Comment

• jeffrey collins
      Not cool enough
      • Jun 2004

i've only dj'ed once or twice that was in any way like that. But I was immediately trying to sober up real quickly, because I don't like to dj while my brain feels like it's swimming in cotton.
      Jeffrey Collins: Painter
      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• FM
        Wooooooo!
        • Jun 2004

instincts kick in at that point. I've done it before, maybe wrecked a track a bit because it also sounded like mush in my headphones

But it can be fun!
        FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
        "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
        Facebook!
        A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• Steve Graham
          DJ Jelly
          • Jun 2004

the mixer looks pretty though

Comment

• lilsensa
            DUDERZ get a life!!!
            • Jun 2004

After a few beers is the best..No more than a few though..Start to make stupid mistakes after that, volume, eq mistakes, and even lifting the wrong needle ( Yeah I have decks and have done that a few times)....Playing after a few drinks works for me because I tend to take more risks with diff tracks that I normally wouldn't...

Playing blazed tends to give me a bit more creativity and I def get lost in the mix, which is a good thing..I like this the best..

Tried playing on other substances and it was a nightmare....

So, yes, a few beers during is a good thing.
            RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Steve Graham
              DJ Jelly
              • Jun 2004

^^^hahaha, that reminds me, last time i played in miami back in november i played at night and then the next day at the whitelaw on about 2 hours sleep and what not.. "decided" i would see what happens if i ejected the wrong cd deck after my mix, lol,, that was a good laugh

Comment

• Taylor Norris
                Platinum Poster
                • Oct 2005

I like to have a few drinks just to loosen up a bit but thats about it. Beats get way to jumbled after to many.....

Comment

• lilsensa
                  DUDERZ get a life!!!
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Steve Graham
                  ^^^hahaha, that reminds me, last time i played in miami back in november i played at night and then the next day at the whitelaw on about 2 hours sleep and what not.. "decided" i would see what happens if i ejected the wrong cd deck after my mix, lol,, that was a good laugh
                  LOL. Dead air..Nothing like stopping the music to get the party started! Everyone looks at you like you killed their mom, too!!
                  RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Steve Graham
                    DJ Jelly
                    • Jun 2004

i couldnt stop laughing.. good thing is with the cdj 800 mkII's when you pop out a cd and put it back in, it picks up where it stopped, like the cdj 200.
                    I knew a lot of the people that were there, so at least it was a very laid back atmosphere..

one of my mates, foster, dave you may have met him at the THM party you and joe and danton came to.. he did it twice in one night.. hilarious

Comment

• Homegrove
                      Are you Kidding me??
                      • Jun 2004

I can play perfect even if pretty drunk if I only start sober and drink myself stupid while on decks. Dunno why.

Starting a set drunk gets from bad to worse though.
                      Forward thinking house music

Comment

• lilsensa
                        DUDERZ get a life!!!
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Steve Graham
                        i couldnt stop laughing.. good thing is with the cdj 800 mkII's when you pop out a cd and put it back in, it picks up where it stopped, like the cdj 200.
                        I knew a lot of the people that were there, so at least it was a very laid back atmosphere..

one of my mates, foster, dave you may have met him at the THM party you and joe and danton came to.. he did it twice in one night.. hilarious
                        Yeah, I remember that one at that house with the stripper pole. That's funny.I bet he kicked himself after the second time!
                        RIP ~ Steve James

Comment

• Aleks_B
                          Gold Gabber
                          • Nov 2006

dj'ing with a couple of drinks in ya = fine.
                          dj'ing drunk= trainwreck

IMO
                          aleks_b - re_azure | my_space

Comment

• day_for_night
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Jun 2004

i dunno...i usually get drunk as the night goes on. don't really run into any problems. my average night on the decks includes 8-10 drinks, and i haven't screwed up in quite awhile. then again, i'm one of those people who has to tell people he is drunk, cause no one will know otherwise. its the ukrainian and irish in me i guess...

Comment

• BureOne
                              Are you Kidding me??
                              • Jun 2004

I've mixed pretty buzzed before.. not too too difficult.

Playing stoned can go either way for me.

Its either really good or I just trip out on the entire system and music. Is it on beat? sounds like it... did someone yell out my name?.. oh thats the track.. or was it? let me look around... wtf, I never heard that sound on this track..

This past weekend I got high and played a really great party set while drinking. It was a friends house warming party and a lot of people turned out, bbq; poker and all.

It came out pretty good. I played nothing but Disco, I had been craving this genre for a while; so I busted out some of my freestyle and disco records and the old Technics

Forgot how cool it was to mix vinyl and non edm dance music.

Comment

Working...