X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • runningman
    Playa I'm a Sooth Saya
    • Jun 2004

Re: What book are you reading now?

I urge everyone to read this book. Since now Rahm is going to be his Chief of Staff.

THE PLAN: BIG IDEAS FOR AMERICA
    Rahm Emanuel and Bruce Reed

Comment

• nick007
      DUDERZ get a life!!!
      • Oct 2007

Wizards First Rule - Terry Goodchild - just finished the Troy series by david Gemmel - excellent

The largest room in the world, is the room for improvement!

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

I liked Wizard's First Rule and the subsequent 1 or 2 books, but after a while it just feels like Goodkind has some issues with women and I stopped.

Been reading some some older scifi like Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination which is really good and tight writing, Clarke's Childhood's End which still manages to invoke feelings of awe and grandiosity with space and the infinite (something a lot of current scifi is lacking); finished Abercrombie's The Blade Itself and I'm on to the second book Before They Are Hanged.

Went on a mini book haul at Borders last night, picked up Borges: Collected Fictions (I've read various collections but they're all finally collected in one volume) and Alain De Botton's The Architecture of Happiness.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• fabric8
          200mph Club
          • Jul 2006

BMW M-6 Owners Manual

Comment

• labmonkey
            Addiction started
            • Apr 2005

The Jesuit and the Skull by Amir D. Aczel on the life of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, great great book on one of the unsung visionaries of our times, think "Noosphere"
            "Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted"

Comment

• nick007
              DUDERZ get a life!!!
              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by feather
              I liked Wizard's First Rule and the subsequent 1 or 2 books, but after a while it just feels like Goodkind has some issues with women and I stopped.

Been reading some some older scifi like Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination which is really good and tight writing, Clarke's Childhood's End which still manages to invoke feelings of awe and grandiosity with space and the infinite (something a lot of current scifi is lacking); finished Abercrombie's The Blade Itself and I'm on to the second book Before They Are Hanged.

Went on a mini book haul at Borders last night, picked up Borges: Collected Fictions (I've read various collections but they're all finally collected in one volume) and Alain De Botton's The Architecture of Happiness.
              Good to know about goodchild - funnily enough my friend said that he lost the plot after the 3rd book as well - May just bin him if I get that sense as well.

All through his writing I keep comparing him to The Thomas Covenant Series by Stephen Donaldson and Donaldson wins hands down. Goodchild just doesn't quite get there.

Comment

• feather
                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                • Jul 2004

Nah there's nothing that is like Thomas Covenent, I honestly can't think of a comparison and I've been reading this stuff for 19 years

Terry Brooks' Shanara novels might be a better alternative to Goodkind, also Tad William's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. Cherryh's Fortress series is also good.

Abercrombie's The Blade Itself or Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora if you want the rollicking adventure kinda story.

If you're after something grim, there's Erikson's Malazan series, Bakker's Prince of Nothing series, and Mieville's Perdido Street Station but that's more steampunk.

I did read Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind and I recommend it, fine writing for a debut author.

a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
                Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

• day_for_night
                  Are you Kidding me??
                  • Jun 2004

Next in honour of Michael Crichton

Comment

• nick007
                    DUDERZ get a life!!!
                    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by feather
                    Nah there's nothing that is like Thomas Covenent, I honestly can't think of a comparison and I've been reading this stuff for 19 years

Terry Brooks' Shanara novels might be a better alternative to Goodkind, also Tad William's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. Cherryh's Fortress series is also good.

Abercrombie's The Blade Itself or Scott Lynch's The Lies of Locke Lamora if you want the rollicking adventure kinda story.

If you're after something grim, there's Erikson's Malazan series, Bakker's Prince of Nothing series, and Mieville's Perdido Street Station but that's more steampunk.

I did read Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind and I recommend it, fine writing for a debut author.
                    Thanks for the advice: Love reading don't do fantasy that often just found my latest crime suspense writers havn't cut it lately and needed a change - will look up some of your suggestions!

Comment

• Dhar_2
                      meat and potatoes
                      • Jun 2004

body double - tess greschen (or whatever she's called)

Comment

• Kat
                        A pretty fn good milkshake
                        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by fabric8
                        BMW M-6 Owners Manual
                        niiiiiceeee

reading about akashic records - crazy stuff
                        ♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪• אין סוף •♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•♫♪♪♫•♫♪•♪♫•

Music is essential for the expression of non material ideals and energies. Music colors our surroundings with emanations from the highest vibrational fields. It allows us to escape all limitations in our thinking and very existence.

Comment

• i!!ustrious
                          I got some N64 Games Yo!!
                          • Mar 2008

Emerson - essays and letters. and some Tennyson.
                          Last edited by i!!ustrious; November 7, 2008, 10:57:47 PM.
                          (((( }-d|-__-|b-{ ))))

Comment

• Adzey
                            Are you Kidding me??
                            • Mar 2008

off season by jack ketchum

great gruesome novel definately worth the hype

"Working like a wizard he doesn't jump around much or react much to what he is playing but the place is going nuts"

Comment

• rainman
                              Platinum Poster
                              • Dec 2005

Comment

• feather
                                Shanghai ooompa loompa
                                • Jul 2004

Still reading Abercrombie's Before they wre hanged. Taking me forever.

Comment

Working...