X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Life on Other Planets AKA Johns
    Are you Kidding me??
    • Oct 2005

Help

Hey all hope u can help. It is time for me to organize my music. Whats the best way in regards to getting print outs. What i want to do is use Excel. For example up top use the main headings Artist, Title, BPM, Key, Label, Genre, Feel of track, Do i like it.. So i figure i need to use winamp or itunes and then export it. But i need excel to be able to pick it up and place it in some sorta order.. hope u know what i mean. Thanks

• threehills
    I heart Lollergirl
    • Jun 2005

Re: Help

MP3 tag tools (free program) has a feature where you can...

Sort and export tag data as Tab delimited text files for import to spreadsheet programs
    Never tried it myself however.

EDIT: just tried it and it works like a charm with excel.
    It's never too late to become the person you always thought you would be.

Comment

Are you Kidding me??
      • Oct 2005

^^^ thanks but what??

Comment

• feather
        Shanghai ooompa loompa
        • Jul 2004

Don't quite get what you want. Are your music mp3 or vinyl? Most cataloging program will export to comma delimited text files which you can import into Excel to create an instant spreadsheet. That's what threehills meant.

i_want_to_have_sex_with_electronic_music

Originally posted by Hoff
        a powerful and insane mothership that occasionally comes commanded by the real ones .. then suck us and makes us appear in the most magical of all lands
        Originally posted by m1sT3rL
        Oh. My. God. James absolutely obliterated the island tonight. The last time there was so much destruction, Obi Wan Kenobi had to take a seat on the Falcon after the Death Star said "hi and bye" to Leia's homeworld.

I got pics and video. But I will upload them in the morning. I need to smoke this nice phat joint and just close my eyes and replay the amazingness in my head.

Comment

Are you Kidding me??
          • Oct 2005

I am talking about mp3's.. what the hell does "comma delimited text files" mean ..

Comment

• threehills
            I heart Lollergirl
            • Jun 2005

the comma delimited text file is the way that excel is going to be able to read all the information that is contained in your MP3 tag (artist, title genre, etc). Its a text file that has the structure of a spreadsheet "built into it".

Try the MP3tagtools. It will let you read and edit all the tag information, just like you would in itunes or winamp, with the bonus of it allowing you to edit them much more easily. When you are done, export that information as a text file and drag and drop it into excel. Whalla!

Comment

• Steve Graham
              DJ Jelly
              • Jun 2004

do you even have Excel?

Comment

Are you Kidding me??
                • Oct 2005

^^ hahahaha yeah i do

Comment

• Steve Graham
                  DJ Jelly
                  • Jun 2004

ok, lol.. i was thinking you were trying to descretly ask for someone to get you a copy of excel

Comment

Are you Kidding me??
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by threehills
                    the comma delimited text file is the way that excel is going to be able to read all the information that is contained in your MP3 tag (artist, title genre, etc). Its a text file that has the structure of a spreadsheet "built into it".

Try the MP3tagtools. It will let you read and edit all the tag information, just like you would in itunes or winamp, with the bonus of it allowing you to edit them much more easily. When you are done, export that information as a text file and drag and drop it into excel. Whalla!

Thanks for the share mate. this program is just what i need. it is 2:16am here and i have tried editing a couple of tracks and they edit really quick in this program. Not like itunes..Thanks heaps .. gonna clean up all my mp3's during the long weekend..

Comment

Are you Kidding me??
                      • Oct 2005

quick question though when u export and u know how it says select a columns to export and u remove the ones u don't want which is great.. but was wondering can u add a columns to it such as key and bpm or can u rename the ones on there?? thanks again for the share.

Comment

• threehills
                        I heart Lollergirl
                        • Jun 2005

I don't think you can rename them in the program, but you can use whatever field you don't care about, say lyrics, and just store whatever data you want in there, say BPM. And the just rename the lyrics column to BPM in Excel.

Its kinda like the "rating" option in winamp and intunes. There is no actual field in the MP3 tag for rating. Thus, if your metadatabase ever gets lost or corrupted you will loose all this information. If you want your data to be stored permanantly with the MP3, you have to use one of the tag slots such as "lyrics" or "comments" to store extra information thats important to you.

Comment

• threehills
                          I heart Lollergirl
                          • Jun 2005

Originally posted by johns
                          Thanks for the share mate. this program is just what i need. it is 2:16am here and i have tried editing a couple of tracks and they edit really quick in this program.
                          Just one note: If you are editing sets at all, and there is no Tag information at all to begin with, it may take a while and appear as though its frozen, but if you just let it run, it will always finish the job. The time it takes is just dependent on the size of the .MP3.

Comment

Are you Kidding me??
                            • Oct 2005

^^ thanks again

Comment

Working...