X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toasty
    Sir Toastiness
    • Jun 2004

Clinton to go for pledged delegates

Since Clinton's campaign began its death spiral, there have been varying accounts of her alluding to the possibility of going after Obama's pledged delegates as a means of getting over the delegate hump, since she can't realistically get there on her own. Typically, these accounts are then immediately rebuffed by Clinton officials who indicate that they have no intention of going after pledged delegates.

Well, I'm not sure how Hillary is going to distance herself from this:

Some people look at the current state of the delegate counts and say the only way you can win the nomination is at the convention, with a convention where delegates move around perhaps, and you'll make your case side by side. Are you comfortable if that's the way you win the nomination, going all the way to Denver and winning it there? Is that a comfortable outcome for you?

You know it's the same thing for Senator Obama. Neither of us will reach the number of delegates needed. So I think that that is, you know, the reality for both of our campaigns. And all delegates have to assess who they think will be the strongest nominee against McCain and who they believe would do the best job in bringing along the down-ballot races and who they think would be the best President. And, from my perspective, those are all very legitimate questions, and as you know so well, Mark, every delegate with very few exceptions is free to make up his or her mind however they choose. We talk a lot about so-called pledged delegates, but every delegate is expected to exercise independent judgment. And, you know, I'm just going to do the best I can in the next 10 contests to make my case to the voters in those elections and then we'll see where we are.

(emphasis mine)

I started out with a nondescript and intangible uneasiness about Clinton. I didn't know what it was, but there was something about her that I just didn't like. As this campaign has proceeded, it's coming into focus more and more for me, with each passing day.
Working...