• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Shpira
    Angry Boy Child
    • Oct 2006

DJing Monitoring Advice?

Hi...
    Got my dj set up... cdj's 200 and a djm 600...for headphones I went for the hdj-1000
    All pioneer...(sucker for advertising) but seriously I was told by everyone that pioneer is the way to go. I am waiting for the cdj 400 to become cheaper or to run into a second hand pair in pristine condition (at a reasonable price) to upgrade to...anyways to cut the story short...I have been using this

for mixing purposes and its very funny to hear some of the sound distortion especially when using filters...LOL

SO I basically need a good set of monitoring speakers, I know that Mackies are probably the way to go from what I have heard and read. I have about 300£ to burn probably and would like to know whats best to get...so far I seem to be looking at Mackies "Tapco S8 Studio Monitors". Any thoughts? Are these any good? Is there a better option?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP
    The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
    Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX
  • Miroslav
    WHOA I can change this!1!
    • Apr 2006

Re: Monitoring Advice?

lol you don't wanna be DJing with that!

I use just studio monitors for my in-home DJing...I use Alesis M2ks and I've been very happy for years with them:

I've heard good things about the krk 8's...

Of course, if you have a lot of money you can go for a set of these Mackie SRM 450s w/ the stands :
    mixes: www.waxdj.com/miroslav

Comment

• Shpira
      Angry Boy Child
      • Oct 2006

Yeah I can afford the KRK 8's..they are around 345£ as far as I could see on the net. Anything up to 375£ - 750$ is sort of ok..
      (as long as they have an amp)
      The Idiots ARE Winning.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
      Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Miroslav
        • Apr 2006

these are all self powered

Comment

• BobbyJassi
          Getting Somewhere
          • Nov 2005

Get the RP-8's mate, there brill.
          I live for the look on your face....

Comment

• Shpira
            Angry Boy Child
            • Oct 2006

might be getting some cdj's 400 in a couple of days...we'll see how it pans out
            Yeah those (rp-8's) look really good, they will fit my interior real well LOL
            The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• jeffrey collins
              Not cool enough
              • Jun 2004

those Alesis' are NICE. Got a friend who uses them for his dj'ing at his house and they really make things sound great. Plus, like KRK's you can use them really well in the studio settings too.
              Jeffrey Collins: Painter
              My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
              My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Shpira
                Angry Boy Child
                • Oct 2006

yeah they are nice...good frequency response especially for that kind of money. I am stuck now thinking what I should do as I can can get the Alesis's for almost three times less than the rp-8's and I am not convinced it is worth paying so much more for the rp-8's
                The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Miroslav
                  • Apr 2006

got a local music equipment shop in your area? We've got some music centers around here that carry guitars, amps, speakers, mixers, etc. Usually you can go in those places and actually hear the different studio monitors live and oftentimes get some good advice. That's how I settled on my M2Ks.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                    Not cool enough
                    • Jun 2004

me too with my rokits...bought them at Guitar Center. Only wish I had bought a sub for them sooner.

Get the guaranteed lowest price on Engl musical gear. Free shipping on most orders. 8% back in rewards.
                    Jeffrey Collins: Painter
                    My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
                    My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Shpira
                      Angry Boy Child
                      • Oct 2006

yeah I love those prices but i am in the UK...shipping costs a fortune for something that weighs almost 20lbs + they don't actually ship KRK equipment abroad (((
                      ...but thanks for trying
                      The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Jenks
                        I'm kind of a big deal.
                        • Jun 2004

I have the KRK rockit 8s. Tbh, i'd love to sell them and get the 6s. 8's are too much imo. Love em, but i bought them because my mackie srm 450 were too much for my loft...and the 8s aren't much quiter.

Comment

• Shpira
                          Angry Boy Child
                          • Oct 2006

yeah i live in an apartment with paper thin walls...good point.
                          Haven't really thought about that at all until now.
                          The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

• Jenks
                            I'm kind of a big deal.
                            • Jun 2004

my friend has the krk 5s, and that's plenty for an apt.

what are you going to be doing with these? just mixing? or producing?

if it's just mixing, you don't need really expensive monitors. really accurate monitors suck for djing anyway, you're looking for more of a PA sound when you dj.

if you reeeeally want to save some money, check on ebay for Event monitors. solid monitor, not going to break your wallet, and will do the job for your apt.

Comment

• Shpira
                              Angry Boy Child
                              • Oct 2006

well I just bought a new cdj 400 on e-bay for 280£ so the monitors will have to wait a bit + I realized that I am gonna be away for most of the summer but I will be taking my decks with me and there would be no way to take the monitors as well so its no bigy really and yes Jenks thanks I did find some krk 5's on e-bay for 102 £ and was considering buying those...but I think in the end I will wait a bit.

Thanks all for your great advice as always MercuryServer hosts some pretty great thoughts on all things EDM...cheers
                              The Idiots ARE Winning.

Mark Twain

SOBRIETY MIX

Comment

Working...