Clear All
  • chanty
    John, John, where art thou!
    • Jun 2004

Production Production course....

I'm probably going to take this course:

Digital Audio Workstation Basics

Course Number: MIDI 106

The course is designed as an introduction to audio and how it is translated from analog to digital in order to allow recording, editing and mixing in today's digital audio workstation (DAW) environments. Starting with a description and explanation of what MIDI and audio is and how they work, students will learn the basic concepts of how placeMIDI, audio, converters and sampling is used to create and arrange music within a desktop computer environment. The course will demonstrate how to identify all pieces of a modern DAW studio and connect them properly. This will include computers, as well as different types of electronic music devices including synthesizers, audio mixers, sound equipment, and placeMIDI interfaces. Basic operational features of computer operating systems will be discussed, as well as the installation of music software. Students will fully understand the makeup of a modern DAW studio and be able to operate the Humber MIDI lab workstations in order to continue studies in Cubase or general DAW software.

Computer Music Production 1

Course Number: MIDI 112

This course begins with the recording project, the environment, and the start of the actual recording. Students will learn how to prepare for a project, creating click tracks, and understanding the recording process. This course begins with an understanding of MIDI functions: In, Out and Thru, and is quickly applied to "hands-on" experience in the classroom. You are given a solid foundation in all the terminology and skills to combine music and MIDI instruments and devices, effectively using a variety of today's powerful application software. MIDI sequencing will be explored with emphasis on the following: recording/monitoring/quantize/moving, repeating and copying parts/ toolbars/part editing/transposing/velocity and program change/key edit/list edit/drum edit. Digital Audio will be explored with emphasis on the following: set-up and record/audio monitors/part display and editing files and segments/Digital signal processing/audio editors/events/moving, masking and copying events/quantizing and Hit-points.
    Note: For successful completion of this course, it is recommended that students have access to a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) consisting of computer, software, MIDI controller, etc. outside of class.

Computer Music Production 2

Course Number: MIDI 122

This course continues from the skills acquired in MIDI 110 Computer Music Production 1. Students will learn and apply advanced audio editing, dubbing in new parts, grouping tracks, converting MIDI to audio tracks and preparing for cross platform projects. The following MIDI related items are explored in detail: events/parts/groups and group tracks/folder tracks/tempo track/master automation track/marker track/quantizing types/audio mixdown/remix/creating drum maps/the MIDI mixer/an introduction to synchronization (MIDI clock). Digital audio studies continue with emphasis on the following: delete files/erase unused segments/importing and exporting files/loading and saving files/ audio editors/track info/event volume and panning/the do/undo menu/mixing/use of effects, fades/crossfades/basic wave editing.

Computer Music Production 3

Course Number: MIDI 132

This course was designed to utilize the skills acquired in MIDI 112 and MIDI 122 Computer Music Production 1 and 2. Students will learn how to prepare for a mix, the use of effects, dynamics, and mixing your project with automation, and exporting your final project. This course will cover topic areas such as types of synchronization for the purpose of combing music with film, television, QuickTime, Internet and other multimedia related applications. Other advanced areas of music production will be explored as well including: creating mixer maps/groove templates/advanced quantizing/hitpoints/time pitch shifting/preparing file archives/digital audio synchronization.

What do you all think? Looks pretty good to me to learn the basics and it's only $230 per course at 12 hours per course. Mon and Wed. nights.
    Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....
  • chanty
    • Jun 2004

Re: Production course....

Damn it! The spring classes have been cancelled. I guess there weren't enough students. Now I'll have to wait for fall classes. Arg!!! There's no other college or school with a program like this in T.O.
    Awww...I didn't mean A holes, as in "A holes"...I meant it like, as in, my friends....

Comment

• jeffrey collins
      Not cool enough
      • Jun 2004

while you are waiting for classes. get your ass in your computer and begin doing it on your own.

and while doing that I want you to pick up the Victor Wooten book "The Music Lesson" I am reading it right now and frankly think it is better than any of those music books that are out there. But I already knew a bit about composition before too. But believe me, you will thank me.

Jeffrey Collins: Painter
      My Painting Blog

http://soundcloud.com/jeffreycollins
      My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• chanty
        • Jun 2004

I have been doing it on my own and have started a few tracks. I like what I'm hearing but it's frustrating when you don't know what the hell you're doing. I just find a patch I like and then play with all the knobs and dials until I like the sound more. Not very effective if you have a certain sound in mind but have no idea how to go about making it. But I'll keep at it in the meantime with online help and wait for the next semester.
        I'm def going to get that book. Thanks for the recommendation!

Comment

• jeffrey collins
          Not cool enough
          • Jun 2004

don't fret bro. we all start out that way...unless we play guitar, than you pretty much have your sound.

just to ask, how many plug ins are you using for synth sounds right now? I do recommend checking out KVR audio's site anf getting every free soft synth they have. And believe me, that's a LOT of free awesome sound machines.

Try NOT to focus on learning how to use all the different plugin's at once. Just start out with one good synth...and see what you can create with it. I've actually done tracks where I pretty much just used the Linnplug Octopus for all my synth sounds. Really killed my CPU though, had to put all the midi stuff into wav files.

if you have any questions feel free to get in touch with me bro.
          My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• FM
            Wooooooo!
            • Jun 2004

FM

"Nowadays everyone is a fucking DJ." - Jack Dangers

What record did you loose your virginity to?
            "I don't like having sex with music on- I find it distracting. And if it's a mix cd- forget it. I'm stopping to check the beat mixing in between tracks." - Tom Stephan

Download/Listen To My Mixes
            Facebook!
            A Journey Into Sound On MCast

Satisfaction guaranteed, or double your music back.

Comment

• chanty
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by FM
              What are you laughing at?

Jeffrey...I'm using Reason 2.5 and I'm going to check out KVR for soft synth plug in's, thanks very much for sharing that. Like I said, I'm green behind the ears when it comes to this stuff, but I find it intriguing and fun to do.
              And just to let you know I'm a girl!
              Last edited by chanty; April 22, 2008, 07:40:26 PM.

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                Not cool enough
                • Jun 2004

Good, the world needs more women musicians.

I personally don't use reason. I don't know why, maybe it's because of old problems I had with the earlier versions. Or maybe it's the sound behind it and when it came out you suddenly heard so many people using it that you could almost tell when they used that program. Madoka is one major instance.
                My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• chanty
                  • Jun 2004

I'm using Reason because it's the 2nd program I tried and got working. I had Cubase first and couldn't get the thing to even make a sound. It was way over my head! Imagine not knowing a f"n thing about computer music programs and starting out with Cubase. Ha Ha!
                  Within a couple of minutes of having Reason I had a drum sound looping. It was very gratifying after my battle with Cubase.
                  What are you using Jeff?
                  I figure when I learn more and hopefully get that course under my belt I'll be better prepared to make choices about what I'd like to use.

Comment

• Steve Graham
                    DJ Jelly
                    • Jun 2004

if they are a good producer, musician or dj why does it matter the gender?

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                      Not cool enough
                      • Jun 2004

I've been using live for quite some time now. I bought 4 when 5 had just come out. Now I'm using 6 and really don't wanna upgrade to 7 until i know for sure that it is good.

The drum machines in Reason are nice, because they act just like a real 909'ish machine with the 16 steps. The next best thing to hardware I would say for drums.

BTW, you go through that course, after you get out you'll probably be certified in using Protools and then can get a job in a 2 million $ studio. Best of luck with the course.

Let me know if they ever do another Red Bull Music Academy up there.
                      My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• Jenks
                        I'm kind of a big deal.
                        • Jun 2004

Comment

• jeffrey collins
                          Not cool enough
                          • Jun 2004

^^^ I actually bought the live 4 power when it came out. But I think I eventually learned more through watching my friend and watching videos on youtube. Those tutorials are amazing.
                          My Painting Blog

My Soundcloud page.

Comment

• unkownartist
                            Banned
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
                            Good, the world needs more women musicians.

I personally don't use reason. I don't know why, maybe it's because of old problems I had with the earlier versions. .

thats becuase u use cracked software

thor is pretty nice

Comment

• unkownartist
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jeffrey collins
                              I've been using live for quite some time now. I bought 4 when 5 had just come out. Now I'm using 6 and really don't wanna upgrade to 7 until i know for sure that it is good.

The drum machines in Reason are nice, because they act just like a real 909'ish machine with the 16 steps. The next best thing to hardware I would say for drums.

BTW, you go through that course, after you get out you'll probably be certified in using Protools and then can get a job in a 2 million $ studio. Best of luck with the course.

Let me know if they ever do another Red Bull Music Academy up there.
                              ableton 7 is better, the effects and in particular the compressors etc are way improved, personally i preffer fruityloops approach to the drum thing rather than reasons because u can set the size of the length of the bit u put the "hits" in and u dont have to change up every 16 notes to continue if u get what i meen by that and u can do alot more with the samples than u can with reason, the majour drawback with reason and i keep going back to this is the vst thing!!! u STILL cant use vsts in it

Comment

Working...